The Chemistry Department has equipment and facilities compatible with an outstanding instructional and research program. Our department has six research, seven teaching, and three equipment laboratories (nuclear magnetic resonance, organic microwave and solvent purifier, and analytical and instrumental lab).
Some of the major equipment available for use in our program includes:
- 300 NMR: Bruker AVANCE 300 MHz nuclear magnetic resonance (FT-NMR) spectrometer with solid, inverse, and multinucleus probe
- 500 NMR: Bruker AVANCE III 500 MHz nuclear magnetic resonance (FT-NMR) spectrometer, and multinucleus probe
- GC-Mass Spec: Thermo-Fisher ISQ TRACE 1300 gas chromatograph-mass spectrometer with FID, TCD, ECD, solid probe and autosampler
- GC (x2)
- LC-Mass Spec: Thermo-Fisher UltiMate 3000 liquid chromatograph-mass spectrometer with Diode Array Detector and fluoresence detector
- AA: Agilent atomic absorption
- SEM/EDX: Low-vacuum JEOL SEM/EDX system
- ICP-Mass Spectroscopy
- Thermo-Fisher UV-Vis-NIR with Peltier thermostated,
- FT-IR: (XT-KBr beamsplitter 11000-375 cm-1, DlaTGS detector w/KBr window 12500-300 cm-1, High sensitivity kit, , single bounce ATR accessory Smart Performer, multi bounce HADR, multi bounce through plate 45 degree GE, gas cel)
- Fluorescence spectrophotometer
- CD-Spectrometer with single position peltier with fluorescence, fluorescence polarization/anisotropy acc.
- MALDI-TOF mass spectrometer
- Refrigerated centrifuges
- Milestone microwave synthesizer
- CEM Pressure controlled microwave synthesizer
- Protein Purification System
- Solvent purification system
- Glove box
In addition, the departmant shares three research and equipment laboraties with other science departments, the Environmental Research Center, Molecular Biology and Biochemistry Center, and Molecular Mas Spectroscopy Center.
Environmental Research Center
The ERC specializes in the analysis of emerging and legacy contaminants in a variety of environmental matrices, and has two environmental chemistry laboratories equipped with research-grade analytical instrumentation for sample preparation and the measurement of organic contaminants in the environment. Past studies conducted in the lab include the analysis of native Alaskan foods, and The Great Lakes Fish Monitoring Program - Lake Ontario Air Deposition Study (LOADS). Learn More
Molecular Biology and Biochemistry Center
The MBBC is a research and teaching facility that consists of several laboratories and offices in the east wing of the third floor of the Shineman Center. Students in this lab can sequence and label DNA, observe mammalian and bacterial cell cultures, and clone cDNA.