Regulations for International students

Required practicum or internship regulations for international students on F-1 Visa

Curricular practical training
Please see your international student advisor in 100 Sheldon Hall BEFORE you proceed to apply for a required practicum in your major, or a paid or unpaid, on or off campus, volunteer training or internship that is integral to your curriculum or required for graduation.

Please note that you will be out of status if you work or participate in required or volunteer training without authorization on your I-20.

You must comply with the U.S. Department of State regulations as set out below:

  1. You must have been in F-1 status for one full academic year before you can participate in an required practicum or an internship, unless you are enrolled in graduate studies that require immediate participation in curricular practical training.
  2. Part time off-campus employment is limited to no more than 20 hours a week when school is in session and you may work full-time during holidays or school vacation.
  3. You must have an offer of employment from an employer offering work that qualifies as curricular practical training and submit that letter to the international student advisor. You may engage in training only for the specific employer, location and period approved and recorded by the international student advisor within the Department of Homeland Security database.
  4. You must fill out an advisor recommendation form and submit to the international student advisor. You can obtain this form from the ISSS office.
  5. You may be authorized to participate in a curricular practical training program that is an integral part of an established curriculum.
  6. You must register into a credit bearing course that is integral to your major.
  7. After all the requirements have been met, you can obtain authorization for curricular practical training from the international student advisor at the ISSS office.
  8.  You may begin curricular practical training only after receiving an endorsement on the I-20 by the international student advisor.
  9. You must continue to maintain a full course of study in F-1 status during the period of employment. Employment authorization is automatically terminated if you fail to maintain your status.
  10. If you receive one year or more of full-time curricular practical training, you are ineligible for post-completion academic training.

Majors requiring CPT and I-20 authorization

If you are majoring in any of the following degree programs, you MUST see the international student advisor to receive authorization on your I-20 to conduct your paid or unpaid practicum, training, internship or work before you begin your internship.

  • Mathematics 
  • Applied mathematics
  • Human development
  • Journalism
  • Language and international trade major
  • Public justice
  • Psychology 
  • Wellness management
  • Teacher education 
  • Museum studies minor

Co-op requiring I-20 authorization

Students who participate in a Co-op MUST see the international student advisor to obtain authorization on the I-20 before they register for Co-op.