Visiting Assistant Professor
WebsiteDr. Schummer's Personal Website
Monday and Wednesday 10:05 am - noon
Friday 12:30 - 1:45 pm
or by appointment
- Influence of climatic variability on annual waterfowl distributions
- Effects of conservation and management activities on wildlife populations
- Animal-plant interactions in seasonal, moist-soil wetlands
- Impact of environmental contaminants on Great Lakes waterbirds
- Behavioral response of waterfowl to disturbance
- Waterfowl ecology and management
- avian ecology
- wildlife conservation and management
- anthropogenic influences on wildlife habitat and populations
- climate change-bird distribution patterns
- Human dimensions of waterfowl hunting
- Finger, T., A. D. Afton, M. L. Schummer, S. A. Petrie, M. Johnson, M. L. Szymanski. K. J. Jacobs, G. H. Olsen, and M. A. Michtell. 2016. Environmental factors influence lesser scaup migration chronology and population monitoring. Journal of Wildlife Management online early DOI:10.1002/jwmg.21131.
- Churchill, R.T. J., M. L. Schummer, S. A. Petrie, and H. Henry. 2016. Long-term changes in distribution and abundance of submerged aquatic vegetation and Dreissenid mussels in Long Point Bay, Lake Erie. Journal of Great Lakes Research online early dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jglr.2016.07.012.
- Handrigan, S., M. L. Schummer, S. A. Petrie, and R. Norris. In Press. Evaluation of breeding range expansion of Trumpeter Swans (Cygnus buccinator) re-introduced in southwestern Ontario. Wildfowl.
- Holman, K. L., M. L. Schummer, and S. A. Petrie. 2015. Inorganic contaminants, nutrient reserves and molt intensity in autumn migrant red-necked grebes (Podiceps grisegena) at Georgian Bay. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 69:399-410.
- Messmer, D. J., S. A. Petrie, S. S. Badzinski, M. Gloutney, and M. L. Schummer. 2015. Multi-scale habitat associations of breeding mallards and Canada geese in southern Ontario, Canada. Wildlife Society Bulletin 39:543-552.
- Hanna, E.E. M. L. Schummer, and S. A. Petrie. 2015. Evaluation of a vacuum technique to estimate abundance of waste barley. Journal of Fish and Wildlife Management 6: 430-436.
- Fleming, K. S., R. M. Kaminski, M. L. Schummer, K. D. Nelms, G. N. Ervin, and T. E. Teitjen. 2015. Species richness and density of wintering ducks on Wetlands Reserve Program easements in Mississippi. Wildlife Society Bulletin 39:310–318.
- Payne, A.M., M.L. Schummer, and S. A. Petrie. 2015. Differences in molt intensities in Long-tailed Ducks between autumn and winter. Waterbirds 38:195-200. • Schummer, M. L., J. Cohen, R. M. Kaminski, C. L. Wax, and M. E. Brown. 2014. Atmospheric teleconnections and Eurasian snow cover as seasonal predictors of Mallard migration. Wildfowl Special Issue (4):451 – 469.
- Hagy, H.M., J.S. Straub, and M. L. Schummer. 2014. Effects of annual variation in waterfowl food abundances and assessment scale on energetic carrying capacity models. Wildfowl Special Issue (4):436-450.
- St. James, E. A., M. L. Schummer, R. M. Kaminski, E. J. Penny, and L. W. Burger. 2014. Effect of weekly hunting frequency on duck harvest in Mississippi. Journal of Fish and Wildlife Management 4:144-150.
- Notaro, M., D. Lorenz, C. Hoving, and M. L. Schummer. 2014. 21st Century projections of snowfall and winter severity across central-eastern North America. Journal of Climate 27:6526-6550.
- Ware, L. L., B. T. Naumann, P. L. Wilson, S. A. Petrie, and M. L. Schummer. 2013. A lift-net method for capturing diving and sea ducks. Wildlife Society Bulletin 37:877-880.
- Brady, C., S. A. Petrie, M. L. Schummer, S.S. Badzinski, N. Belzile, and Y-W. Chen. 2013. Effects of dietary selenium on the health and survival of captive wintering lesser scaup. Environmental Pollution 175:8-15.
- St. James, E. A., M. L. Schummer, R. M. Kaminski, E. J. Penny, and L. W. Burger. 2013. Effect of weekly hunting frequency on duck abundances on Mississippi Wildlife Management Areas. Journal of Fish and Wildlife Management 4:144-150.
- Callicutt, J. T., R. M. Kaminski, R. Shmulsky, M. L. Schummer, and J. P. Lestrade. 2013. Acoustical comparison between decrescendo calls of female mallards and mimicry by humans using artificial duck calls. Wildlife Society Bulletin 37:101-106.
- Schummer, M.L., J. Palframan, E. McNaughton, T. Barney and S. A. Petrie. 2012. Comparisons of bird, aquatic macroinvertebrate, and plant communities among dredged ponds and natural wetland habitats at Long Point, Lake Erie, Ontario. Wetlands 32:945–953.
- Fleming, K. S., R. M. Kaminski, T. E. Tietjen, M. L. Schummer, G. N. Ervin, and K. D. Nelms. 2012. Vegetative forage quality and moist-soil management on wetlands reserve program lands in Mississippi. Wetlands 32:919–929.
- Meyer, S. W., S. S. Badzinski, M. L. Schummer, and C. M. Sharp. 2012. Changes in summer abundance and distribution of mute swans along the lower Great Lakes of Ontario 1986 - 2011. Ontario Birds 30:48 – 63.
- Ware, L. L., S. A. Petrie, R. C. Bailey, S. S. Badzinski, M. L. Schummer, Y-W Chen, and N. Belzile. 2012. Effects of elevated selenium on body condition, oxidative stress, and organ health in greater scaup wintering on Lake Ontario. Wildlife Society Bulletin 36:506-511.
- Schummer, M. L., S. A. Petrie, R. C. Bailey, and S. S. Badzinski. 2012. Factors affecting lipid reserves and foraging activity of bufflehead, common goldeneye, and long-tail ducks during winter at Lake Ontario. Condor 114:62-74.
- Schummer, M. L., S. A. Petrie, S. S. Badzinski, Y-W. Chen, and N. Belzile. 2012. Hepatic concentrations of inorganic contaminants and their relationships with nutrient reserves in autumn-migrant common loons at Lake Erie. Archives of Environ. Contamination & Toxicology 62:704 -713.
- Badzinski, S. S., L. Kennedy, S. A. Petrie, and M. L. Schummer. 2011. Variation in body composition and digestive organs of tundra swans during migration at Long Point, Lake Erie, Ontario. Waterbirds 34:468-475.
- Schummer, M. L., S. A. Petrie, S. S. Badzinski, M. Deming, Y-W. Chen, and N. Belzile. 2011. Elemental contaminants in livers of mute swans on Lakes Erie and St. Clair. Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 61:677-687.
- Callicutt, J. T., H. M. Hagy, and M. L. Schummer. 2011.The Food Preference Paradigm: A review of fall and winter food use by North American dabbling ducks (Anas spp.), 1900 – 2009. Journal of Fish and Wildlife Management 2:29-40.
- Schummer, M. L., R. B. Allen, and G. Wang. 2011. Sizes and long-term trends of duck broods in Maine, 1955 – 2007. Northeastern Naturalist 18:73-86.
- Schummer, M. L., I. Fife, S. A. Petrie, and S. S. Badzinski. 2011. Artifact ingestion in sea ducks wintering at northeastern Lake Ontario. Waterbirds 34:51-58.
- Schummer, M. L., R. M. Kaminski, A. H. Raedeke, and D. A. Graber. 2010. Weather-related indices of autumn-winter dabbling duck abundance in middle North America. Journal of Wildlife Management 74:94-101.
- Schummer, M. L., S. S. Badzinski, S. A. Petrie, Y.-W. Chen, and N. Belzile. 2010. Selenium accumulation in sea ducks wintering at Lake Ontario. Archives of Environmental Contaminants and Toxicology 58:854-862.
- Weegman, M. D., R. M. Kaminski, G. Wang, M. L. Schummer, A. W. Ezell, and T. D. Leininger. 2010. Sweep net sampling acorns in forested wetlands. Journal of Wildlife Management 74:1931-1933.
- Schummer, M. L., S. A. Petrie, and R. C. Bailey. 2008. Interaction between macroinvertebrate abundance and habitat use by diving ducks during winter on northeastern Lake Ontario. Journal of Great Lakes Research 34:54–71.
- Schummer, M. L., S. A. Petrie, and R. C. Bailey. 2008. Dietary overlap of sympatric diving ducks during winter on northeastern Lake Ontario. Auk 125:425-433.
- Schummer, M. L., and W. R. Eddleman. 2003. Effects of disturbance on time-activity and energy budgets of migrating waterbirds in south-central Oklahoma. Journal of Wildlife Management 67:789-795.
Ph.D., Zoology, University of Western Ontario
MS, Biology, Southeast Missouri State University
BS, Forest Resources Management, SUNY-ESF