Transfer Student Advisement

First semester/orientation
Transfer students have the opportunity to meet with an academic advisor within their major department during the Transfer Orientation program held throughout the summer, or during January for spring transfers. However, that person may not be the student's assigned academic advisor once the semester begins. Transfer students will be assigned their permanent advisor before the beginning of classes.

Visit the Transfer Orientation page for more information.

Advisement differences between community colleges and SUNY Oswego
Transfer students entering SUNY Oswego from a community college often encounter an advisement environment far different than their previous experience. Advisement at most two-year schools is done by full-time staff with faculty acting more as mentors than as advisors. The advisement staff works very closely with students ensuring they have registered on time and into appropriate classes. At Oswego, while students are strongly encouraged to meet with an advisor, they are only required to meet during their first semester of their junior year, and when completing their Senior Checklist. Additionally, most two-year programs for full-time students are rigidly structured. Students are restricted to certain courses and do not have the range of choices they are presented with at Oswego.

Commuting and non-traditional transfer students
Many transfer students are from the Western/Central New York region. It is not uncommon for these students to attend Oswego as a commuter. Nor is it uncommon to find these students traveling a distance of 20 miles or more to attend Oswego. While nontraditional and re-entry students have long been a part of Oswego, they are in higher concentration within the transfer student population. All these factors need to be considered when advising. For example, some students' class schedules may need to be compact or at certain times of the day. Advisors may need alternative office or advisement hours to accommodate these students.

Transfer credits
Students and advisors can review the SUNY Course Equivalent Site  or the Transfer Course Guide for information on how credits will be accepted from various institutions to SUNY Oswego.

Transferring credits to SUNY Oswego for first-year students and transfer students who have not completed a degree:

Credit evaulations
Students with need to provide at least one official transcript. Credits from other institutions will apper in DegreeWorks.

Final transcripts

The student must send their final transcripts to the Office of Admissions (for new students) or Registrar's Office (currently enrolled students) for a transfer credit evaluation to be done.

How many credits can transfer
Many factors affecting how many credits will transfer into SUNY Oswego. For more specific information, visit the Transfer Credit page.

Transfer credit of D grades
Credits from courses in which a grade of D was earned transfer directly to Oswego undergraduate programs. Students in specified departments, however, must earn at least a C in those courses transferred to meet a core, cognate, or major elective requirement. For more detailed information, please visit the college catalog for transferring of D grades.

CLEP/Advanced Placement/Military credit
Oswego will accept CLEP, Advanced Placement and military credit. To receive credit for both AP and CLEP, you must provide an official AP/CLEP transcript. To determine specific scores necessary, consult the Oswego catalog or contact the Office of Admissions (315.312.2250).  Military credit should also be transcripted for review. Oswego does not grant life experience credit.

Credit for military educational experience
Limited course credit may be granted for educational experience received while in military service. Such experience will be evaluated in terms of its relation to degree requirements. The credit awarded may not be used to meet major program requirements without department approval. Inquiries regarding credit for military education experience should be directed to the Office of the Registrar.

Transfer credit evaluation for education majors (special notations)
For more detailed information regarding transfer credit for education majors, please visit the college catalog.

Transfer credit information for returning students 

Approval for off-campus study
Returning students may, with prior approval, take coursework at other accredited colleges and universities and transfer the credit to their record at Oswego. Failure to follow these procedures may result in an off-campus course not being accepted for transfer to Oswego.

The following procedures and policies must be followed to ensure transfer of credits:   

  • Courses may be taken off campus in every general education category except Intellectual Issues; the six-credit upper-division requirements in that area must be met with coursework at Oswego.
  • Courses from community colleges will be accepted for lower division credits only.
  • A maximum of 62 semester hours of lower division credit may be applied toward the Oswego bachelor's degree.
  • Credit only (not letter grade) is transferred for work taken at other institutions.
  • Off-campus study does not become a part of a student's record unless an Off-Campus Study Approval Form is submitted to the Registrar's Office in advance of completing the course work. Forms must be signed by the student's advisor, chairperson of the department in which the equivalent campus course is taught or, where applicable, the director of General Education. Forms should be completed at least one semester in advance. The lead time is necessary to get required approvals before registering for the course(s).

Repeating D or E grade courses
Students may elect, with advisor approval, to repeat a course in which a grade of D (D+, D, or D-) was earned. However, credit hours are earned only once for the same course which can affect financial aid benefits. Courses for which an E grade was received must be repeated if they are required for the student's degree program, minor program or if they must be repeated as part of a student's mandatory readvisement or condition of reinstatement following disqualification. Other E grade courses may be repeated at the option of the student.

Transcript notations for repeated D and E grades:
When the course is repeated at Oswego by a student who is in good standing, credit hours, letter grade and quality points earned will be used in computing a new cumulative average. The previous D or E grade will remain on the transcript; however the transcript will be annotated to indicate that the course has been repeated and the effect of the earlier D or E grade is removed from the GPA. Students must obtain approval to take course work off-campus. Read more on approval for off-campus study (PDF).

General transfer information
For all other questions regarding transferring into SUNY Oswego, please visit Transfer Services.