Registering for classes

Advisement Checklist - Handout of steps to give to students before meeting with their advisor.

myOswego allows student access to secure campus records online from anywhere Internet access is available. Students can view financial aid information, register for classes, print their schedule, look up their advisor, apply for graduation and even order textbooks.

Registration 101

Registrar's Office and Links

Registration process
Registration for continuing students begins in November for spring courses and in April for summer and fall courses. Returning matriculated students register according to their seniority (i.e. seniors first, then juniors, etc.). New incoming students register for courses during orientation sessions held in the late spring and summer for fall courses and in January for spring courses.

Personal identification number (PIN)
First-semester freshmen and first-semester juniors are required to meet with their assigned adviors for registration. A personal identification number (PIN) is assigned to each student to facilitate this meeting. Students need to get the PIN from their assigned advisor to register for the next semester's courses. New transfers with second-semester junior status are also assigned a PIN.

Account holds
Before registering a student may need to respond to a question or survey related to holds on their accounts such as agreeing to the code of conduct and financial agreements.

Course search
Tips and instructions on how to search for classes can be found at registration tips and tricks.

Adding closed courses
Once a course has reached full capacity (i.e. closed) an instructor MAY decide to allow additional students into his or her course. There is no guarantee an instructor will allow additional students. The decision is up to the individual instructor. Many courses can not physically take more students (such as laboratories with limited work stations). The student should speak to the instructor about adding a closed course. If the instructor agrees to add them, the student should fill out an Add Form, have the instructor sign it, and return it to the Registrar's Office, 301 Culkin Hall.

Taking a course overload
An undergraduate student must carry a minimum of 12 semester hours per semester to be considered a full-time student for academic purposes. An undergraduate student is permitted to take a maximum of 17 semester hours. Exceptions are made for students majoring in technology education or vocational teacher preparation, and for graduating seniors (who have filed at the Registrar's Office to graduate the next semester), all of whom may register for up to 18 semester hours during the advanced registration period without special written permission. All other students may increase their course load at the beginning of the semester, during the add/drop period, with their advisor's written permission on an add form.

Overload Approval Form - Students should contact the  advisor to request permission to overload (register for more than maximum credits allowed in a semester). Approved overloads are processed the first day of the semester
Requests for overloads during Summer Sessions require Dean's permission; contact the Dean of your college/school.

Adding/Dropping Courses
Please review the Add/Drop Course Policy for information on adding and/or dropping a course.