Transfer of credits

If you're considering transferring to Oswego, our admissions counselors would be happy to work with you to determine what credits you may transfer from your previous school. All course work completed with a passing grade from regionally accredited institutions (SUNY or Non-SUNY) will transfer to Oswego, as described in the Requirement Guides for Transfer Students .  A vast number of course to course equivalencies have already been determined for both SUNY and non-SUNY colleges and universities.  You can access these equivalencies through the Transfer Course Guide.  If you have questions about how your credits will transfer, you can request an evaluation at any point in the admissions process by contacting the Admissions Office.  Official degree audits are completed within 1-2 weeks of admission to ensure you have the necessary information to make informed decisions.  

Articulation Agreements

SUNY Oswego works closely with numerous partner institutions through articulation agreements.  These are agreements that exist between two educational institutions to ensure efficient, effective transfer and guarantee continuous progress in degree completion. Both general and program specific articulations exist. We offer an online list of the many institutions with which SUNY Oswego has articulation agreements.

Program-to-program articulation aims to provide smooth transition in parallel programs, minimum time in completing the bachelor's degree and maximum transfer of credits. If you have attended another SUNY school, you can see which classes there will satisfy General Education requirements at Oswego by accessing SUNY's approved courses page.

The general articulation agreement allows students completing associate degrees to have particular general education requirements waived. Students who enter under the General Education 21 requirements with an AA, AS, or AAS degree from a SUNY institution that have completed three years of high school level foreign language or 101 level of a foreign language are exempt from any remaining foreign language requirements at SUNY Oswego. Students that don't fit either of those requirements but have completed an associate's degree from a SUNY institution are only required to take 101 level of a foreign language at SUNY Oswego. For more information on these requirements, visit our General Education page.

If you are transferring from institutions outside of the SUNY system, SUNY Oswego aims to provide maximum value for previously earned credits with minimum hassles.  If you complete a program deemed equivalent to the 30 credit SUNY general education program from any regionally accredited institution,you will be exempt from all remaining SUNY Oswego General Education requirements.    

Oswego will tentatively accept transfer credit from non-accredited institutions.  After you successfully complete one full-time semester at Oswego, the equivalency credits will be determined by the Registrar upon consultation with the major department.  

For more information on the transfer process, contact the Office of Admissions at 315.312.2250 or email one of our transfer counselors at