You are here

Room in Moreland Hall in 1950s

Then: What is today known as the Mackin Complex, including Lonis and Moreland residence halls, was the first on-campus housing when it opened in 1951. The two wings -- one for men, one for women -- housed 150 students each, while the middle section contained the original Hewitt Union (which a 1951 Palladium-Times article described as having "a fine cafeteria, private dining room, snack bar, lounges and various types of recreational facilities"). This image from the 1950s shows what the then-new residence looked like for some of the coeds who called it home. (Photo courtesy of Penfield Library's Special Collections)

Justin Calitree in his room in Lonis Hall

Now: Today, Lonis and Moreland are two of many options for the 4,300 students who live on campus. Justin Calitree is shown in his room in Lonis, which offers singles for juniors, seniors and graduate students. Moreland provides more traditional housing in doubles, but does have a nine-cubic-foot mini-fridge in every room. Mackin Hall contains a dining center as well as the Student Association Volunteer Ambulance Corps, the first student-run ambulance corps in the country. (Photo by Jim Russell)