Then: The Servicemembers' Readjustment Bill of 1944 — better known as the GI Bill — brought hundreds of World War II veterans to Oswego to study. The overall postwar enrollment surge, and shortage of places to house students, led then-President Ralph W. Swetman to acquire 25 former military barracks from Camp Shanks near Orangeburg in Rockland County to house veterans and their families starting in 1947. At peak, some 225 residents lived in the buildings' 74 units. Splinter Village, which stretched along the bluff behind what is now Park Hall, fostered an esprit de corps and sense of community. See our Splinter Village page for more details.
Now: The Village townhouse apartments, responding to student interest for a more independent campus living option, opened in fall 2010 to house 348 residents. Located near Glimmerglass Lagoon and open to juniors, seniors and graduate students, the Village represents the first new residential facility on campus in nearly four decades. A LEED Gold Certified green development that had students involved in the planning process, the Village attracted high demand from the moment it was announced.