Photo courtesy of Penfield Library Special Collections, SUNY Oswego
Then: Franklin Delano Roosevelt, then governor of New York, laid the cornerstone to the Industrial Arts building (now known as Park Hall) in 1930. Oswego's groundbreaking industrial arts program, first envisioned by college founder Edward Austin Sheldon to build the objects teachers needed to impart their lessons, received worldwide attention and acclaim through the innovative methods and writings of the program's director at the time, Joseph C. Park.
Now: The recent groundbreaking for the Sciences and Engineering Innovation Corridor shows the college's continuing forward-thinking approach and exhibits a more inclusive picture of students, faculty, staff and community. The $110 million to $120 million 150,000-square-foot addition to and renovation of 49-year-old Piez Hall will be a training ground for students of sciences, engineering and mathematics who will enrich the region’s workforce in such growing fields as health and green technology.