PHL471: Philosophy of Mind
Professor: Craig DeLancey
We'll be discussing "Unconscious determinants of free decisions
in the human brain," Chun Siong Soon; Brass,Marcel; Heinze,
Hans-Jochen; Haynes, John-Dylan. Nature Neuroscience,
May2008, Vol. 11 Issue 5, p543-545. DOI: 10.1038/nn.2112
This is available to us through the Academic Search Complete
service on the Penfield web site, but I've not figured out
how to link to it yet. So, go here,
click on the "Academic Search Complete" link, and search
for the title above. Or, here.
So far, here's what I've learned about paper topics:
Let me know if I missed anything.
Paper draft due.
- Nika B: Enactivism
- Wesley C: Emotion
- Alex D: Synthesia and the claim that Synesthesia can be learned/conditioned
- Jeffrey J: A defense of dualism (w.r.t. consciousness)
- Peter N: A defense of Walton's claims about emotions
- Angelica P: Hume's theory of persons, and dreams
- Devin S: Free will
- Steve S: The Conceivability Argument(s)
Read before class this paper by
Tentative assignments (these might change substantially)
Online practice quiz.
Short quiz on conscious free will.
Final MCC 232 10:30 - 12:30. The final will be questions from
our previous quizes or practice quizes, plus some new questions
about personal identity.
Final paper due by 1:00 pm, drop paper copy off at my office.
It is of course acceptable to hand it in earlier.