Before you take this course...
Before you take this course, you should know what it is about, why it
matters, and what you are pledging to do if you register for the class.
What are the questions that this course addresses?
Why do these questions matter?
- How might we develop and apply a precise language?
- What is good reasoning?
- How can we learn to recognize good reasoning?
- How might logic -- good reasoning -- help answer
perplexing philosophical questions?
What is expected of the student?
- This stuff is interesting.
- In every endeavor in life you will need to sometimes
recognize and apply good reasoning. It is the single most
important skill you can learn.
- Logic requires practice above all: you must do homeworks
- Seeing how logic is useful requires the imagination and
commitment to work to apply it: you must stretch yourself a
bit to see how to apply what we learn.