PHL101: Critical Thinking, Reports
Some Hypotheses about PR
- PR companies perform three primary functions: to
disseminate beneficial information about their clients; to
obscure, confuse, or inhibit harmful information about their
clients; and to lie for the benefit of their clients.
- The techniques used inlude:
- Press releases
- Creation and supply of "experts"
- Astroturf: creation of false grass-roots organizations
(e.g., National Smoker's Alliance, Global Climate Coalition)
- Disruption of opposition groups
- Production of "events"
- Major PR firms include:
- Hill & Knowlton
- Communications International
- Ogilvy, Adams & Rinehard
Hill & Knowlton Example
Nayirah: "I volunteered at the al-Addan hospital...[where] I saw the
Iraqi soldiers come into the hospital with guns, and go into the room
where 15 babies were in incubators. They took the babies out of the
incubators, took the incubators, and left the babies on the cold floor
Growth of Executive Spending