A. (4 pts) Today you were asked to read (in Sober's collection) a
selection from the book An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding
by the philosopher David H______________.
B. (3 pts; choose one) This philosopher argues that the notion of
necessity (by which he means that events necessarily happen the way
they do) applies to human beings because:
C. (3 pts; choose one answer) The author's definition of liberty (by
which he means free action) is:
- Humans are machines.
- Humans bodies are material and they fight and win
a battle of domination over the free immaterial soul.
- We see patterns in human behavior, including
in past human behavior, suggesting humans act in
- God wills that humans act as they do.
- Acting unexpectedly.
- Acting unpredictably.
- Acting as you were caused to act by your will.
- Acting as you do not want to act in order to
show you can act that way.