Sophomore Success!

Find An On-Campus Job

dollar sign

Finding a job while attending SUNY Oswego means beginning early and contacting campus offices and/or local businesses and organizations. Students not returning to previous jobs should begin looking in the first third of the spring semester, but at the very least immediately upon arrival on campus or during the late summer. With so many new part-time job hunters in the market, competition can be intense. Develop a resume (Career Services at the Compass can help) and prepare a sample job application ( to make applying easier. Consider applying for positions on and off-campus.

This page will assist you in locating employment with organizations that offer paid part-time positions. Some agencies may also hire full-time for the summer. Additional information regarding summer employment is included at the end of this page. You might also consider paid and unpaid internships for academic credit as well as volunteering for community service positions.

Jobs On Campus

On campus positions are either Work Study or Temporary Service (Temp Service). Temp Service jobs are available in many campus departments and hiring takes place through those departments directly, thus you may inquire directly with the staff of that department.

Work Study positions are awarded to students who demonstrate financial need and work assignments are coordinated through the Financial Aid Office Student Employment, Culkin Hall, Room 206, 315-312-2248.  

The Financial Aid Office maintains a clearinghouse of part-time jobs on and off-campus. Financial Aids/ Student Employment Information Sessions are held each semester. Contact the Office for specific dates.

Campus Employers: many students work on campus - this is a list of the areas with the most vacancies.

food Auxiliary Services, 506 Culkin Hall.  The largest employer of SUNY Oswego students. Positions in all areas of retail and food services. Applications may be picked up at their offices in Culkin 506, or downloaded from their web site.
res life Residence Life and Housing, 306 Culkin Hall. Resident Assistant positions, desk attendants and other service personnel
books Penfield Library. The Library generally has about 20 temp service positions each year. Inquire at the circulation desk.
cts Campus Technology Services hires and trains lab assistants and student operators.
Campus Life Department of Campus Life, Campus Center. Offers positions as house crew and student managers.

Intramurals and Recreation, Lee Hall. ( Positions as lifeguards, sports officials, finance assistant, swim instructors, and student supervisors.

lab Lab Assistant positions in the Arts and Sciences. Contact department chairs or department secretaries of the respective departments.
student government Student Association (Campus Center) has some paid positions.
OLS Tutors in OLS. Contact Office of Learning Services (OLS), 106 Poucher Hall.
fitness Fitness Centers. Contact Cooper or Glimmerglass Fitness Center staff.
telefund Oswego State Telefund, Office of Development, Sheldon Hall, 312-3069.

Jobs Off Campus: Oswego City and surrounding area

• Individual employers and local businesses.

• Newspaper Classifieds:

- The Palladium Times  Oswego’s daily newspaper

- The Oswego Shopper, 115 West Third Street, Oswego, NY 13126, 342-1364

Chamber of Commerce  Listing of local potential employers.

New York State Employment Service , 200 North 2nd Street, Fulton, NY 13069, Telephone: 315-591-9000

Central New York employment links.

Oswego County Personnel Office,

• Local Temp Service Agencies

- STAFKINGS Personnel Systems

- Adecco, Fulton, NY 598-8230

Paid Internships: All credit-bearing internships and experiences are handled through the Experience-based Education Office

Summer Employment

• Career Services Listserv (careers-osw-l). Register on the Career Services Website ( This service provides frequent updates during the academic year for Oswego students on career related activities, programs, internships, and jobs.

AmeriCorps Part time and summer positions,

• Oswego City/County Youth Bureau, 70 Bunner Street, 349-3451

SUNY Oswego/Human Resources, 410 Culkin Hall. Some positions on campus.

Volunteer and Community Services: Consider volunteering time to gain experience and explore career possibilities through the Center for Service Learning & Community Service.  Volunteer positions can lead to paid positions.