Make Yourself Marketable
Second summer session begins
Location: SUNY Oswego
Sunday, May 29, 2:26 p.m. - 2:26 p.m.
GENIUS Olympiad opening ceremonies
SUNY Oswego's GENIUS Olympiad (Global Environmental Issues -- U.S.) aims to inspire high school students from around the world to contribute to the protection and improvement of the environment as they compete in five disciplines. Free. email@example.com or geniusolympiad.org.
Location: Arena and Convocation Hall, Marano Campus Center
Monday, June 13, 5 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Men's Soccer vs. St. John Fisher Scrimmage
Location: Laker Turf Stadium
Tuesday, Aug 23, 4 p.m. - 6 p.m.
Women's Volleyball vs. St. Lawrence
Location: Max Ziel Gymnasium
Sunday, Aug 28, noon - 1 p.m.
Reunion Weekend 2016
Join us for the biggest alumni party of the year! Visit alumni.oswego.edu/reunion for the most up-to-date information.
Location: SUNY Oswego, 7060 NY-104, Oswego, NY 13126, United States
Sunday, May 29, 2:28 p.m. - 2:28 p.m.
2016 Alumni Mets Game
Gather with NYC-area alumni, family and friends for a day at the ballpark! http://bit.ly/1RKCBib
Location: Citi Field 123-01 Roosevelt Ave New York, NY 11368
Saturday, July 9, 5:30 p.m. - 7 p.m.
Making Yourself Marketable
Complete items 1, 2, 3 and 4. Then choose ONE item from items 5-10.
1. Visit the Compass Resource Center (145 Marano Center) and get a final critique of your resume and cover letter. Don't forget to print out your resume and cover letter on FREE resume paper! Another option is to use Optimal Resume - an online resource. DATE COMPLETED: ______
2. Prepare for Your Interview. DATE COMPLETED: ______
3. Participate in a Mock Interview Another option is to use hte video mock interview on Optimal Resume. DATE COMPLETED: ______
- The best way to prepare for an interview is to practice. The Career Services staff conducts private practice interviews. This hour long session consists of a short (10-15 minute) videotaped "interview." We will ask you typical interview questions asked in most interviews, or we can tailor the questions for a specific career field and even a specific company or position. Traditional and behavioral interviewing questions will be presented. After the interview and for the remaining time, we will provide feedback designed to help you improve your interviewing strategy. The mock interview is an excellent opportunity to see how you present yourself, and to evaluate your strengths and to see areas requiring improvement.
4. Match skills to employer needs DATE COMPLETED: ______
- once you have identified the "skills that employers typically seek" the next step is to match your skills to this skill set. Utilize the "Skills Grid" to help you through this process.
Participate in ONE of the following activities (#5-10) to continue your preparation for the job search:
5. Advanced Internship DATE COMPLETED: ______
- search for an internship that provides you with experience in the field you are planning on working in. Attend an "Internship Orientation workshop" for more information. "Search internships online" or visit the Compass, 145 Campus Center, for assistance in finding an internship.
6. Take on a leadership position in a "Student Organization" DATE COMPLETED: ______
- Are you involved in a Student Club, Organization or Greek life? There are dozens of organizations to get involved with and taking on a leadership role within an organization is an ideal way of distinguishing yourself to future employers and graduate schools.
7. "Etiquette Dinner" - (highly recommended for Business students) DATE COMPLETED: ______
- This program helps you prepare for the hidden aspects of the interview process and interview meal. Did you know that over 50% of all selection job interviews include a meal!
8. Buy professional attire DATE COMPLETED: ______
- An important part of the job search process is to prepare in advance for your interview. Knowing how to "make a good impression" during your interview is important.
9. "Honor Societies" DATE COMPLETED: ______
- One of the great academic achievements of any student is the election to an honor society in the student's major field of interest. Oswego students have the opportunity to gain recognition in many honor societies.
10. Present at QUEST DATE COMPLETED: ______
- Quest is a yearly campus-wide event during which faculty, staff, and students at SUNY Oswego present their research and their creative projects. This provides an opportunity for you to share your scholarly and creative efforts and communicate across disciplines. "Submit a presentation" for inclusion in the Quest program.