Fall 2013-Spring 2014
Concert: Bach cello suites by Matt Haimovitz
Renowned Israeli-born soloist Matt Haimovitz performs all six Bach cello suites, while visiting four Central New York locations. (The “moveable feast” begins with a Tuesday live-at-noon broadcast from the studios of WCNY FM (91.3), followed by a 3 p.m. appearance at the River’s End Bookstore. The musical tour resumes at 5 p.m. Wednesday at Tyler Gallery in Penfield Library.) The remaining suites at 7:30 p.m. Sheldon Hall: $15 ($5 for SUNY Oswego students), including parking in lots adjacent to and across Washington Boulevard from Sheldon Hall. http://www.oswego.edu/arts. 312-2141.
Location: Ballroom, Sheldon Hall
Wednesday, Sept 16, 7:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Author talk: "We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves"
Karen Joy Fowler, author of this year's Oswego Reading Initiative book, "We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves," will speak. Shortlisted for the international Man Booker Prize in 2014, the book examines life from the perspective of young adult Rosemary Cooke and her primate "sister," weaving a humorous, poignant and multilayered plot around the theme of scientific experimentation with animals as well as animal rights. Fowler is the author of six novels, two of them New York Times bestsellers. Free; parking for those without a campus parking sticker is $1 -- see oswego.edu/administration/parking. 312-2232.
Location: Ballroom, Sheldon Hall
Wednesday, Sept 30, 7 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Women's Tennis vs Geneseo
Location: Oswego, NY, Romney Tennis Courts
Friday, Sept 4, 4 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Men's Soccer Tournament Consolation
Location: Oswego, NY, Laker Turf Stadium
Saturday, Sept 5, 1 p.m. - 3 p.m.
2015 New Jersey Event
Find out more and register: http://bit.ly/1T3Y0iT
Location: Ridgewood Country Club 96 W. Midland Ave., Paramus, N.J.
Thursday, Sept 17, 6 p.m. - 9 p.m.
GOLD Third Thursdays
Visit http://www.facebook.com/events/453070221388940 for the latest locations or suggest your own!
Location: Various Cities
Thursday, Sept 17, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
The Compass is seeking applicants for Public Relations Interns for Fall 2013-Spring 2014 Academic Year. See the job description.
To apply, you must email the materials below to email@example.com no later than Friday, March 1, 2013:
- Resume: be sure to include your local contact information, education information (major, minor, GPA, etc.) and date of graduation. Additionally, include any work experience or college/community activities, as well as honors and awards.
- Cover Letter: carefully review the job description and include the following in your letter:
a) What interests you most about the PR intern position,
b) What strengths you possess that make you an ideal candidate for the position (include your experience with any event promotion as well as the computer skills you possess (Flash, Photoshop, etc.),
c) How this opportunity will assist you with your future career goals.
- Work Sample: please submit this electronically as well. This could be a poster/flyer, digital signage, screen shot of a website you developed, class project, photo of an activity, brochure/pamphlet, etc. - something that might demonstrate the top skill set you hope to bring to the Compass (writing, graphic design, technology, public speaking, etc.)
- References: include the names, titles, (that person's relationship to you), their phone number and email address of THREE references. For example:
John Doe, Manager, Campus Catering Supervisor
SUNY Oswego: Hewitt Union Room 132
* All qualified applications will be asked to attend the Group Interview on Monday, March 11th from 7pm-9pm at the Compass, room 141 Campus Center.
** The staff in the Compass Resource Center can assist you with resume and cover letter development
Resume and cover letter handouts can be found at http://www.oswego.edu/student/career/jobsearch/handouts. html
Check out the Compass Intern table a Job-A-Rama for more information!