First Summer Session begins
Tuesday, May 28, noon - noon
Second Summer Session begins
Monday, June 17, noon - noon
Men's Soccer Classic - Alfred vs. Morrisville
Location: Oswego, NY- Laker Soccer Field
Friday, Aug 30, 3 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Men's Soccer Classic - Oswego State vs. Houghton
Location: Oswego, NY- Laker Soccer Field
Friday, Aug 30, 5 p.m. - 7 p.m.
Location: Oswego and vicinity
Thursday, June 6, noon - noon
Thursday, June 20, noon - noon
Download a pdf(60k) version of the Community Developmet Specialist job description.
To apply for a Community Developmet Specialist (CDS) position, please refer to the Human Resources "Employment Opportunities" web page. You will find a listing only if there is a vacancy for this position.
Community Development Specialist
The Community Development Specialist's primary function is to provide experienced leadership, mentoring, and role modeling to the residence hall professional and student staff who typically are new-to-the field entry level staff. The Community Development Specialist performs her/his duties primarily in the residence halls supervised and has a work schedule, day and evening hours, which allows for significant interaction with the residents and staff of the buildings consistent with use and activity patterns of residence hall students. It is expected that the Community Development Specialist participate with staff and students in all of the aspects of hall programming and administrative activity in the residence halls for which s/he is responsible.
· Provide direct supervision to residence hall directors assigned to the area and assist those staff members with the supervision of their graduate and undergraduate staff members.
· While supervised buildings are occupied, maintain a work schedule that includes significant afternoon and evening hours, placing the CDS in the buildings supervised at high contact hours for residents and staff of those buildings. This expectation is intended to recognize that the work schedule for this position is frequently affected by forces beyond the CDS's control.
· Complete assigned tasks with regard to timeliness and its impact on other staff members' departmental responsibilities.
· Supervise assigned staff in a manner that maximizes each supervisee's ability to complete assigned tasks in a timely manner.
· Assure implementation of the departmental programming model and academic partnerships to achieve departmental goals for residents' development as a result of their residential experience.
· Implement and monitor staff activity designed to establish an ethical and just residential community through communication to residents of community standards.
· Involve residents and staff in the decision making of the residence hall and department and expand their involvement in service activity, leadership, peer education and intellectual exploration.
· Maintain and enhance policies and procedures that address safety, security, behavioral issues, operational components, customer service, staff coverage, emergency response and facility standards.
· Distribute, approve and audit expenditure of area funds.
· Recruit, select and train departmental staff.
· Participate in departmental, divisional and college committees and task forces as a member or chair.
· Attend and participate in departmental meetings. Convene weekly area meetings with supervised staff. Organize meetings with dining services and facilities staff as necessary to promote achievement of departmental and area goals.
· Advise and assist Residence Hall Directors in the implementation of the college disciplinary system. Adjudicate judicial cases in cooperation and consultation with Judicial Affairs.
· Respond to all calls for assigned area during the work week. Participate in on-call rotation for all halls during weekends.
· Coordinate and develop large scale area programming as needed.
· Interface with parents regarding student concerns. Serve as a liaison between parents and residence hall staff.
· Serve as a liaison between residence hall staff and other departments and offices on campus.
· Facilitate opportunities for professional development and provide ongoing training for professional staff.
· Promote the professional development of supervised staff.
· Perform other duties as assigned by central staff supervisors.
III. TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
1. The Community Development Specialist position is a twelve-month, live-on appointment.
2. It is expected that Community Development Specialist will be regularly available to residence hall staff and will be available to respond to crisis situations and emergencies as necessary. Community Development Specialists are also expected to participate fully in pre-service professional, and student staff training in August, as well as mid-year training in January.
3. Occupancy of the assigned apartment is for the term of appointment. Commencing and concluding occupancy of the apartment is to be arranged with the immediate supervisor and the Residence Life and Housing Office.
4. Community Development Specialists must abide by the Department's pet policy, which states that hamsters, gerbils, domestically bred rats, parakeet sized birds, fish in aquariums up to 20 gallons, small lobsters 6 inches and smaller, turtles 9 inches and smaller, chameleons and geckos of a maximum 7 inches in length (including tail) and smaller, hermit crabs, soapdish crabs in aquariums up to 20 gallons, and guinea pigs are the only pets permitted.
5. Significant involvement outside of described job responsibilities is to be limited during the academic year and must be approved in advance by the Community Development Specialist's immediate supervisor. This includes, but is not limited to, involvements such as taking classes, performing an internship, working, volunteering and coaching.
6. Community Development Specialists are role models for residence life staff and college students consistent with institutional, divisional and departmental goals.
7. While an individual holding this title is eligible for permanent appointment consideration, it is not anticipated that the incumbent would receive permanent appointment.