On the eve of the May commencement, alumni celebrate the passing of the torch of learning from faculty and staff to the newest class of graduates. Faculty and staff will lead students and alumni representing various past class years in a procession to mark the seniors’ last night as undergraduates. Free. 315-312-2106.
Location: Marano Campus Center
Friday, May 13, 9 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
SUNY Oswego celebrates its 155th Commencement with three ceremonies: College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at 9 a.m. School of Business at 1 p.m. School of Communication, Media and the Arts and School of Education at 4 p.m. Former Secretary of the Army John McHugh will receive an honorary degree at the 9 a.m. ceremony. Admission by ticket. Also webcast live from oswego.edu. 315-312-2106. https://www.oswego.edu/college-store/commencement
Location: Arena and Convocation Hall, Marano Campus Center
Saturday, May 14, 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Men's Soccer vs. St. John Fisher Scrimmage
Location: Laker Turf Stadium
Tuesday, Aug 23, 4 p.m. - 6 p.m.
Women's Volleyball vs. St. Lawrence
Location: Max Ziel Gymnasium
Sunday, Aug 28, noon - 1 p.m.
Reunion Weekend 2016
Join us for the biggest alumni party of the year! Visit alumni.oswego.edu/reunion for the most up-to-date information.
Location: SUNY Oswego, 7060 NY-104, Oswego, NY 13126, United States
Wednesday, May 4, 7:08 a.m. - 7:08 a.m.
2016 Alumni Mets Game
Gather with NYC-area alumni, family and friends for a day at the ballpark! http://bit.ly/1RKCBib
Location: Citi Field 123-01 Roosevelt Ave New York, NY 11368
Saturday, July 9, 5:30 p.m. - 7 p.m.
The Compass is now offering Optimal Resume, a suite of online tools that guides students and alums in preparing to make "the first impression" count! Optimal is fully loaded with online tools that will help you build an award winning resume, create a powerhouse cover letter practice, help you develop your interviewing skills, develop a professional portfolio, generate a personalized website, and much much more!!! Optimal Resume is rated the top ranked resume system in the country and is use by over 600 colleges and universities.
Optimal Resume is not a substitute for meeting with someone in the Compass, but it is a great place to manage your job search assets. All students are encouraged to contact the Compass for assistance with writing a resume for the first time or to have their current resume critiqued before distributing it.
Optimal Resume can help you:
• Create high impact resumes with interactive features, including writing and formatting help, spell checking, suggested skills to highlight per industry, and tutorial guidance. Totally customizable, loads of samples... Start from scratch, use a template, or something in between.
• Present your resumes and other critical information to an employer with a couple clicks of the mouse. After creating your resume, you will be able to download a copy of it in several different formats, including Microsoft Word, PDF, HTML, and/or ASCII/Plain Text format.
• Manage an unlimited number of resumes and letters online from anywhere 24/7. After finishing your resume, remember to upload it into LakerLeads, the Compass' exclusive job & internship database for SUNY Oswego students and alumni.
• Share your resumes, cover letters, and other work within your portfolio on a professional website and across more than 300 social networking sites, including LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter.
• Utilize the video feature to practice your interviewing skills against virtual hiring managers, record footage from your webcam to integrate into your website/portfolio, or send a video thank you note to that contact you just made!
How to register for a free account:
1. Visit the SUNY Oswego Optimal Resume website.
2. Click the 'Create New Account' button.
3. Login using your full SUNY Oswego e-mail address (e.g., email@example.com) and same password that you use to login to check your e-mail.
After you login, simply read and follow the directions for each section. Sample resumes and cover letters are provided within Optimal Resume to help you with wording and formatting. As always, stop by the Compass for 1:1 personalized assistance.
EXTRA HELP AND INFORMATION:
Optimal (Video) Tutorials
1. Create Your Resume With Resume Builder
2. Give Your Resume Some Style
3. Get On Their Radar With Resume GPS
4. Create Great Cover Letters with Letter Builder
5. Store Your Project and Create Your Portfolio
6. Track Your Skills With Skills Assessment
7. Create Your Website and Share With Employers
8. Practice Your Interview Skills
Whether you are creating a first resume or one with more advanced experience, the Resume Builder makes the process fast and easy and helps you to create a professional resume that is appropriate for your career or employment objective.
The Letter Builder makes it easy to create high-quality professional job search letters in a matter of minutes. Similar to the Resume Builder, the Letter Builder offers paragraph-by-paragraph instructions and examples to help you create effective employment letters for a variety of purposes (i.e. cover letters, networking letters, follow-up letters, thank you letters, etc.).
Interview Prep helps prepare you for even the toughest of interviews with real life, multi-media interview scenarios that were developed by seasoned employment professionals. Video tape a mock interview and get advice from an interview coach for those hard to answer questions. Send your taped mock interview to Career Services staff who will meet with you to critique it. To begin, all you need is access to a computer with a Webcam and microphone.
Analyze your skills and experiences and present them in an attractive format on the professional website you create with the Web site Builder. There are two ways to evaluate your skills with Skills Assessment. One approach is to explore your experiences, which is recommended if you are not sure which skills you possess. The other approach is to describe your skills, which makes sense if you already know many of your skills. No matter which approach you take, the end result is to create an attractive page for your professional website that lists your marketable skills and provides information on each.
In today's employment marketplace, it's critical to have an attractive online presentation of your skills and abilities. The website builder can help. Create and manage your online portfolio through your Optimal Resume account. Store writing samples, class projects, reference letters, and other application materials. In addition, develop a website to feature your resume and portfolio for employers. The website feature allows you to control which application materials you want to feature. You may also link to social media accounts such as LinkedIn and index your site with Google and other search engines. The website builder is flexible and allows you to select the documents that you want to include on your website and the order in which they appear.
Online Career Portfolio
Online Portfolio makes it easy to upload professional documents into an attractive portfolio that can be viewed as part of the professional website you create with the website builder. An online portfolio provides evidence of your skills and accomplishments and helps the viewer get a better understanding of your professional qualifications.