Favorite songs of hit Broadway plays—from “The Sound of Music” to “Oklahoma!”—will waft from the Waterman Theatre stage as the SUNY Oswego music department celebrates “An Evening of Rodgers and Hammerstein Classics” from May 4 to 6.
Vocal quartet SATB and a variety of student and community ensembles will appear at 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, May 4 and 5, and at 2 p.m. Sunday, May 6, to offer the music of Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II’s popular Broadway musicals, including “The King and I,” “Carousel” and “South Pacific.”
“Instead of a musical, it’s what we would call a ‘musical review,’” said host Todd Graber, a member of SATB and chair of the SUNY Oswego music department. “It’s just a variety of a lot of songs from a number of their shows that they’ve composed over the years. There are some solos, duets and quartets involved.”
From the 1940s to Hammerstein’s death in 1960, the two won 15 Academy Awards, two Grammys, 34 Tony Awards and the Pulitzer Prize. Their song titles remain well known among many theatregoers, as well as moviegoers who have seen films based on the plays. From the overture (“It’s a Grand Night for Singing”) to the finale (“Oklahoma!”), the “golden age” of Broadway musicals will be in full voice, Graber said.
SATB (for soprano, alto, tenor and bass) and the College-Community Orchestra, College Choir and Festival Chorus also will offer the following:
* From “The King and I”: “I Have Dreamed,” “I Whistle a Happy Tune” and “Hello, Young Lovers.” A student duet, Jennifer Pratt and Nathan Keep, also will sing “We Kiss in a Shadow.”
* From “Carousel”: â€œJune is Bustin’ Out All Over,” “If I Loved You,” “Mister Show” and “You’ll Never Walk Alone.”
* From “South Pacific”: “Younger Than Springtime,” “A Wonderful Guy,” “There is Nothing Like a Dame” and “Some Enchanted Evening.”
* From “The Sound of Music”: “My Favorite Things,” “Climb Every Mountain,” “Do-Re-Mi” and “The Sound of Music.”
* From “Oklahoma!”: “Oh What a Beautiful Mornin’,” “Out of My Dreams,” “The Surrey With the Fringe on Top,” “People Will Say Weâ€™re in Love” and “Oklahoma!”
Tickets for “An Evening of Rodgers and Hammerstein Classics” are available at all SUNY Oswego box offices, online at http://tickets.oswego.edu, and by phone at 312-2141. Prices are $15 for the general public ($12 for seniors ages 62 and over, SUNY Oswego faculty and staff; $7 for SUNY Oswego students).
Parking is free in campus lots for those attending these performances. Patrons needing assistance should call 312-2141 in advance.
PHOTO CAPTION: Musical celebration—SUNY Oswego student vocalists Jennifer Pratt, left, and Nathan Keep, right, will sing “We Kiss in a Shadow” from the Broadway musical “The King and I” as SUNY Oswego music department chair Todd Graber, accompanying them on piano, hosts vocal quartet SATB and several student and community ensembles for “An Evening of Rodgers and Hammerstein Classics” at 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, May 4 and 5, and at 2 p.m. Sunday at Tyler Hall’s Waterman Theatre.
- 30 -
(Posted: Apr 20, 2012)