Sheldon Hall, the first building constructed for the campus of what is now SUNY Oswego, has a history stretching back nearly a century. Among the notable dates along the way:
1911: Cornerstone laid.
1913: Oswego Normal School classes began meeting in building, even though many rooms lacked furnishing.
1914: Building officially dedicated.
1919-20: Student veterans constructed rear addition.
1926: Industrial arts students built pergola connecting east wing to adjacent trolley tracks. Only portion near building remains today.
1941: Massive fire destroyed auditorium.
1961: Building renamed for college founder Edward Austin Sheldon, in college’s centennial year.
1980: Sheldon Hall declared National Historic Landmark.
1983: During state budget cutbacks, officials announced building would close because of high cost of needed renovations and maintenance.
1987: Private developer began renovation work to turn Sheldon Hall into inn and conference center. Legal issues prevented plan from coming to fruition.
1998: Sheldon Hall returned to full campus control, with Edward Austin Sheldon statue reclaiming spot in front. Sheldon Lighting Ceremony took place Sept. 8, the eve of President Deborah F. Stanley’s inauguration. Renovations began for limited use.
1999: State Department of Environmental Conservation began to rent temporary space for training academy, with rent and usage opening a door toward bringing Sheldon Hall back online.
2004: Renovations of west wing began in December. SUNY Construction Fund capital plan underwrote nearly $5 million in design, construction and equipment costs.
2005: Extensive west-wing rehabilitation reach completion phase.
2006: School of Education classes return to Sheldon in the spring semester. The Office of Admissions greets future students, while the Children’s Center of Oswego relocates into an expanded space serving daycare needs for the campus and community.
- END -
(Posted: Nov 16, 2005)