The Oswego Alumni Association will induct seven key members of the Laker sports legacy, including Dick Johnson of Oswego, into the Oswego State Athletic Hall of Fame Oct. 30.
Soccer, baseball, basketball, wrestling, hockey, cross country and track will all be represented at a ceremony at 6:30 p.m. Oct. 30 in the Sheldon Hall ballroom.
The alumni association established the Hall of Fame in 2001 to honor players and coaches who made outstanding contributions to Oswego State athletics.
This year’s inductees:
* Retired SUNY Oswego employee Dick Johnson was a charter member of the Blueline Club, an organization that has supported Oswego State hockey for decades. He will be honored as a longtime supporter of the men’s ice hockey program.
* Charles Wiltse, class of 1963 and master’s class of 1969, was a cross country and track star.
* All-America wrestler and 1977 Oswego graduate James Hauptfleisch earned two state championships during his career. He also won the SUNY Athletic Conference individual championship in 1975.
* Robert Zabronsky, class of 1982, made the All-SUNY Athletic Conference first team in each year that he played Laker soccer. Academically, the former goalie made the dean’s list several times.
* Eileen Sommers, class of 1983, was the first women’s basketball player to score 1,000 career points. Oswego State currently ranks her sixth all-time in points and counts her among the top 10 in several categories.
* Former pitcher and 1985 Oswego graduate Barry Dillon made the All-SUNYAC team three of his four years with the team en route to setting the record for career wins at 37. Dillon was also selected to play in the inaugural New York State College Baseball Association All-Star Game in 1982 at Shea Stadium.
* Former men’s ice hockey team captain Michael Snell, of the 1987 class, set the mark for most goals in a single season in 1984-85. The two-time All-American later played two years of professional hockey in Germany.
For more information or to place reservations for the ceremony and dinner, visit oswego.edu/alumni or call 315-312-2258. Reservations are due Oct. 22.
- 30 -
Contact: Shane M. Liebler, 315-312-3120, email@example.com
(Posted: Oct 15, 2010)