Soccer gave Dan Scaia ’68 a “free kick” at the opportunity to attend SUNY Oswego, and his connections to Oswego soccer led to his involvement in fundraising for a scholarship in honor of his late soccer coach Ernest B. Luongo. The satisfaction of creating a fund to support students in perpetuity spurred Scaia to establish
Because residence life meant so much to her, an alumna has established the Alice Nykaza ’65 Endowed Scholarship that will provide a scholarship, preferably for an Oswego County student who lives on campus. Alice Ericksen Nykaza ’65 says a significant portion of her education took place among other students in the “dorms” and snack bar.
Dr. John Demidowicz, professor emeritus of Spanish, liked to play a little joke on the first day of class. He would let a golf ball slip out of his pocket and tell the students, in Spanish of course, that he was on the golf course when he remembered he had to teach. “You ruined a great game,” he would say.
Invariably, they would laugh, and that was just what he wanted. “A burst of laughter is like an unexpected quiz, “ he says. “It shows they understand.”
Whether they called it a practice school, training school or campus school, generations of Oswego education majors observed master teachers and practiced their own teaching skills in Sheldon Hall, and later Swetman Hall. The Campus School closed in the budget cuts of the 1980s, but its legacy lives on in the thousands of teachers who learned their craft in its walls and the millions of their students who benefited from teachers trained in “The Oswego Method.”
It’s a rite of passage that freshmen of a certain era will never forget — the wearing of beanies. Graduates from the ’40s to the early ’70s donned the green and gold chapeaux or earned “demerits” from upperclassmen. The first-years also had to answer questions from their elders or sing the alma mater on demand, as Ernie Leal ’47 did during orientation.
The official College Medallion donned by the SUNY Oswego president at Commencement and other official ceremonies was a gift of the Class of 1966.
Designed by Art Professor Emeritus Dominic T. DiPasquale, the medallion commemorated President James Perdue’s inauguration. It contains two dates: 1861 for the college’s founding and 1948, which marks the date Oswego became a SUNY school.
When Oswego’s library moved from its early quarters in Old Main to the new Penfield Library (now Rich Hall) in April 1961, legendary librarian Helen Hagger had a unique method for transporting the college’s collection of 80,000 books. An ex-military officer, the “strong, forceful” Hagger, dubbed “the sergeant in charge” by Philomena Camesano Mark ’61, required every student, faculty and staff member to take part in a “book brigade,” passing books hand to hand across the short distance between the two buildings. Once they arrived in the new library, volumes were shelved in exactly the same order in which they came off the bookcases in Sheldon Hall.
Anzio Beach, Monte Cassino, Normandy: To most, these are names from a map or history book. To Charles Phallen, emeritus professor of technology education, they are places he served valiantly in World War II and visits now, at age 94, to receive honors from a grateful populace or pay respects at the graves of fallen comrades.
Last year, France honored him with the Chevalier Legion of Honor. The Legion of Honor is the highest award France can bestow, and it was presented to Phallen for his “personal, precious contribution to the United States’ decisive role in the liberation of our country.”