150 Things We Love About Oswego

150 Things We Love About Oswego

Snowfalls and sunsets, beanies and books (or is it Buck’s?), the Founder and Fallbrook … These are just a few of the things we love about Oswego. To celebrate the college’s Sesquicentennial, we asked you, our readers, to send in the things you remember most fondly about your alma mater. The list includes current faves and long-gone treasures. But one thing remains certain — Our alumni love Oswego!

No. 89 – The Tavern

College Tavern in the 1980s

From 1973 through the mid-1980s, the College Tavern was one of the most popular places to grab a pint, catch a performance or just meet up with friends.

The college’s first and only on-campus bar opened in Hewitt Union as the Rathskellar. Students were charged with converting the former post office and storage space.

No. 85 – Campus School

Campus School

Whether they called it a practice school, training school or campus school, generations of Oswego education majors observed master teachers and practiced their own teaching skills in Sheldon Hall, and later Swetman Hall. The Campus School closed in the budget cuts of the 1980s, but its legacy lives on in the thousands of teachers who learned their craft in its walls and the millions of their students who benefited from teachers trained in “The Oswego Method.”

No. 78 – Sheldon Statue

Edward Austin Sheldon Statue

With the exception of a brief period in the 1980s, when it was removed for cleaning and repair, graduates from the 1920s and beyond can all remember one thing in common: the copper statue of founder Edward Austin Sheldon that stands in front of the building that bears his name, the college’s Old Main.

Whether it’s actually crafted from the melted pennies donated by New York’s schoolchildren — as college lore has it — or paid for by their collected coins, the statue dates back to 1899. It depicts Sheldon instructing a small child, using the Oswego Method of object teaching. The founder holds a sphere, which was one of the objects that made up the tool kit of instructors in the Pestalozzian Method, which Sheldon popularized among American educators.

No. 76 – Buckland’s

Buckland's sign

Buckland’s Bar and Grill hasn’t served a drop of beer or a single hamburger since it closed its doors more than a decade ago.

That’s not too much of a problem for Pete Flanigan ’79. He has something that most Oswego alumni don’t: a Buckland’s on the first floor of his home.

No. 48 – Art Attack!

Mural at Tyler Hall

When a group of students had an Art Attack on campus in 1984, there was no need to call the SAVAC ambulance. The art majors, under Professor Emeritus Nick D’Innocenzo, were beautifying campus buildings with colorful murals.

No. 34 – Fallbrook

Fallbrook Barn

For a time in the mid-20th century, Oswego could boast of its own riding stables and ski slopes. The college acquired Fallbrook Farm,

formerly a home for the elderly, on Thompson Road just west of the college’s main entrance and Fallbrook Recreation Center was born.

No. 29 – Epic Snowfalls

Digging out, 1958

With its location on Lake Ontario, Oswego is known for its legendary lake effect snow. And while every year has the potential for mountains of the white stuff, certain years saw blizzards of historic proportions.

Alumni who were on campus in the years 1958, 1966, 1978 and 1993 will never forget how Oswego made headlines around the country and across the globe for the feet of snow that piled up in a matter of hours.

Judy Driscoll Skillen ’61 recalled the snowstorm that greeted students returning from the 1958 Thanksgiving Break. “I was living in Johnson at the time,” she said. “We never went to school that whole week. They airlifted in food.” Other grads tell stories of climbing out second story windows and walking on the tops of cars.

No. 25 – Eleanor Roosevelt Visit

Roosevelt at Sheldon

On Sept. 20, 1944, the First Lady of the United States, Eleanor Roosevelt, visited Oswego. Among those lucky enough to greet her on the steps of Old Main (now Sheldon Hall) was Betty Reid Gallik ’45, who was president of the Women’s Athletic Association.

“I remember they had a few of us who were president of our groups shake hands and talk with her,” she says. Also greeting Roosevelt were the late Betty Burden ’45 and the late M. Carol McLaughlin ’45.

No. 18 – Torchlight Ceremony

Oswego Torchlight 1938

Ever since it was instituted to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the college, the Torchlight Ceremony has been a tradition on the eve of Commencement. Written by Lida S. Penfield, for whom Penfield Library is named, the “Message of the Torch” welcomes graduates into the Oswego Alumni Association.