Oswego Experience Helped Launch Career

Earl BellingerThe sky’s the limit for SUNY Chancellor Award winner Earl Bellinger ’12. A Schenectady native, he is a Ph.D. student and research assistant at Indiana University’s School of Informatics and Computing.

Upon graduating from Oswego, Bellinger flew to Southern California to develop software at the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory for the Cassini Mission to Saturn. He is involved in a wide variety of interdisciplinary research projects, helping develop software on some of the world’s fastest supercomputers for analyzing and visualizing large scientific datasets.

“I was always satisfied with the resources my professors would provide to help me find an answer,” Bellinger said. “I felt that I was assigned very interesting tasks that really helped me gain mastery in my field.” He said he was encouraged to participate in research, which gave him a jumpstart on graduate school and helped him to decide early in life what profession he wanted to pursue.

Bellinger was accepted into the National Institute of Informatics International Internship Program, providing him the opportunity to develop scientific software at the National Center of Sciences in Toyko. He still collaborates with Oswego scientists and is proud of the number of Oswego students accepting internships to NASA.

— Brittany Hoffmann ’14

Read more stories of Alumni in the Sciences