From the Editor’s Pen

When I was in third grade, I started a newspaper at our elementary school, writing and editing and getting someone in the office to run it off on mimeo (photo-copying was still rare!). I drew cartoons featuring two little elephants (who talked, of course!) and drew them, not only in the newspaper but on every chalkboard I could, sometimes getting into more than a bit of trouble. I wrote plays about holidays and historical figures and recruited classmates to act in them. In short, from the age of about 10, I knew I would be a writer, a storyteller. So when Peggy La Tulip Focarino ’77, America’s first female commissioner of patents, told me that in fifth grade, she had asked her parents for a telescope, I knew just what she meant.

So many times, when we write about alumni who have made a difference in the world, there is a common thread: A passion and a joy for intellectual or artistic or entrepreneurial endeavor that has carried them through life. And that passion, born in childhood, was often nurtured at Oswego. That’s the best part of what we do here — we help dreams grow. We enable people to become who they were meant to be — who they always knew they could be, if given the opportunity.

That’s why alumni love Oswego, why you support it and why it endures.

Share your story of how Oswego nurtured you to become all you were meant to be.