Smiley celebrates 50 years as faculty member

Distinguished Teaching Professor Marilynn Smiley recently celebrated 50 years as a faculty member at SUNY Oswego. The Indiana native ‘cut a deal’ with her father to pursue music in college. Smiley, who came to Oswego in 1961, still carries a full load as a professor of music with a specialty in musicology — and a long résumé of eclectic research, talented students, women’s equality efforts, organization work with such groups as Vega and the American Association of University Women, musical groups like the SUNY Oswego Recorder Consort and much more. Hear an interview with Smiley and share your comments below.

Interview with Marilynn Smiley – Click to Play

3 thoughts on “Smiley celebrates 50 years as faculty member

1. Dr. Smiley was a fabulous teacher! The reading and listening assignments for every single Music History class were significant, but if you did the homework (and spent a lot of hours in the listening room), you did well in the class. But more importantly, you picked up a lifelong appreciation for music with real lasting power.

2. Dr. Smiley is my favorite all time teacher through the many elementary though Master’s Degree teachers and professors I have had. I was an early student of Dr. Smiley’s, 1963, and she became my mentor and friend. Dr. Smiley has influenced me in ways beyound even her wildest dreams. I became a public school music teacher and tried to follow her example of excellent teaching and mentoring of students. I am so proud of the path that her career has taken her and humbled to be her friend. Congratulations on 50 years of service to music and women’s rights!