30, 1804, Erastus Granger, originally from Suffield,
CT-which seems to be the epicenter of a good number of Grangers- entered
into the village of New Amsterdam*, in the State of New York, via horseback.
He carried with him papers from then President of the United States, Thomas
Jefferson, which directed him to create a United States Post Office
in that town. He'd also been given the title, Collector of the Port'. Upon
his arrival, he found a community of about sixteen huts, three blacksmith
shops, two taverns, a drugstore and one jail.
After setting up the
Post Office in Buffaloe Creek, he was made the area's first Postmaster on
September 3, 1804. In 1807 he was appointed a Judge in Genesee County, which
then stretched west from the Genesee
River to Lake Erie. Granger held all of his posts until his resignation
on May 3, 1818.
By 1806, he'd moved
his offices into a wing of the so-called "Ransom" building on
North Main Street, built by
Asa Ransom. The original
office was destroyed by fire set by the British in 1813. Granger's house
and lands, located in the Flint
Hill section (of what was to become the City of Buffalo), served as
a haven for refugees in the aftermath of this fire and is one of the primary
reasons why he is remembered today, aside from his collection of papers
presented in this digital forum. His grave is located on land he once owned
within the City of Buffalo (Flint Hill) and on the grounds of present-day,
Forest Lawn Cemetary.
*note this information
was taken from a previous Erastus Granger digitization project and can be
found at Erastus
to the Erastus Granger