Taking Steps for the Future
Field Hockey vs. Geneseo
Location: Oswego, NY - South Athletic Field
Saturday, Oct 25, 1 p.m. - 3 p.m.
Men's Tennis vs. Houghton
Location: Oswego, NY- Romney Tennis Courts
Saturday, Oct 25, 1 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
GOLD Third Thursdays
Visit http://www.facebook.com/events/453070221388940 for the latest locations or suggest your own!
Location: Various Cities
Thursday, Nov 20, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
GOLD Third Thursdays
Visit http://www.facebook.com/events/453070221388940 for the latest locations or suggest your own!
Location: Various Cities
Thursday, Dec 18, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
TechNews - October 2012
This is a summary of the activities supporting faculty, staff and student technology services at SUNY Oswego that occurred during September 2012.
Reminders - Please make sure that your co-workers know about these
- Routine Service Outage
As part of Campus Technology Services' efforts to keep servers running at optimum levels, a regular maintenance period has been designated. From 6AM to 10AM on the second Sunday of each month, several services such as E-mail, editing of both departmental and personal web pageswill not be available. The next scheduled outage is Sunday, October 14th, 2012.
For information on NYAlert: http://www.oswego.edu/administration/public_affairs/emergency/nyalert.html or
visit http://www.suny.edu/SUNYALERTsec to sign up.
- RAVE Guardian
For information on Rave Guardian http://oswego.edu/student/blogs/?cat=11 or to sign up: https://www.getrave.com/login/oswego
- Patch Wednesdays
CTS now has the capability of updating your campus owned computers for security fixes as well as functionality on a regularly scheduled basis. This may include software updates to programs such as Adobe Reader or Microsoft Word or to change Windows settings to better support your computers. In order to streamline this process we will only perform these updates on Wednesdays. These changes will be implemented only after thorough internal CTS testing. You may possibly notice a slight slowdown in computer performance at that time. Updates are added to a CTS calendar so you may see what changes have occurred to your computer on any given day or that are scheduled to be done.
- News Articles:
Technology Support Center
TSC continued assisting faculty, staff and students with start of the semester technology issues.
We are near completion of selecting a replacement product to HEAT. FrontRange ITSM and ServiceNow are the finalists. Reference checks with other Universities using the products were conducted. We are replacing our HEAT system with a more up-to-date ITIL service management system. These systems have the potential of allowing a better ticketing system as well as allowing change, process and knowledge management, end-user self-service and use on mobile devices.
Two staff will be heading to Rochester for ITIL training and certification. This will give us a better understanding of ITIL best practices for implementing the new ticketing system.
Learning Management System
Coming soon - the ability to access ANGEL from your mobile device. From your mobil device, go to the SUNY Oswego mobile website (http://m.oswego.edu) and click on the "Courses" icon. You'll see information on how to download the Blackboard Mobile Learn app.
Please check the ANGEL website for dates and times for upcoming workshops.
If you are interested in setting up a community group, please visit the ANGEL web site at www.oswego.edu/academics/angel. Community groups are limited to academic and/or university related activities only.
CTS is now offering fall technical workshops on a variety of topics ranging from LakerApps Gmail, Calendar, Docs and Sites to Lecture Capture, Multimedia creation, Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint. We have a few new workshops this semester as well. Check out the "CTS Fall 2012 Workshops" news article for info on the newest workshops.
For dates, times and registrations, http://www.oswego.edu/cts/training/ws_registration.html.
Self-paced, on-demand tutorials are also available from our iTunes U site. Tutorials covering Microsoft Word 2010, Excel 2010, PowerPoint 2010 and LakerApps Sites are currently available.
ANGEL workshops are available from the main ANGEL website.
Updating your department web site with Ingeniux workshops are available at the Ingeniux Training site.
The Skillport e-learning software is available to all faculty, staff and students. Skillport includes business and technology-related courses (including Office 2010) as well as courses and test preps needed to prepare you for many business and technical certifications. Get started at the Skillport home page.
SUNY Oswego faculty and staff may purchase a copy of either MS Office Professional Plus 2010 (PC version) or Office 2011 (Mac version) for use on their personal computers for $9.95 plus tax. This "Home Use Program" is made available to faculty and staff through the campus purchase of the Microsoft Campus Agreement. Details of how to go about purchasing can be found from the CTS MS Office Home Use Program (HUP) page.
Microsoft offers students a significantly reduced price on its products. For the special pricing and to buy online visit www.theultimatesteal.com.
Campus Technology Services (CTS) would like to inform users that new releases of browsers aren't always fully compatible with some web-based campus services that you need to access. The use of an unsupported browser can result in inconsistent or unpredictable behavior when working in applications. Please check with the TSC before updating.
The Web Team is working on a new mobile website that will be launching soon. It will replace the existing http://m.oswego.edu website with a new design and an additional "Courses" icon that will allow you to download the Blackboard Mobile Learn app to access your ANGEL courses from your mobile device. In addition, there will be a SUNY Oswego official app in the Apple Store and Google Play for those that would like to access SUNY Oswego mobile material from an app.
During the month of September, Campus Technology Services technicians have continued to aid faculty, staff and students in resolving hardware, software, and account related issues. Since the beginning of September Campus Technology Services technicians have assisted in the resolution of 79 hardware, 127 software, and 25 account related support requests.
Our desktop support technicians continue to prepare and deploy new equipment as it arrives. During the month of September new equipment has been configured and installed for: Anthropology Department, Art Department, Artswego, Campus Center Box Office, Campus Technology Services, Communication Studies Department, Economics Department, Facilities Design and Construction, Philosophy Department, Walker Health Center, and New Faculty.Banner
- Admissions - tested 2013 application file loads for both ASC and Common App applications, worked with SICAS to resolve problems, adapted the check list review program as outlined by Admissions staff
- Alumni Relations and Development - continued participation on development team and development of data extract for iModules implementation, attended meeting about scholarship software
- Institutional Research - assisted with the submission of the summer 2012 SIRIS CDS and TSDS data , developed a program to track student progress in calculus courses, developed a program to extract admissions high school data for marketing analysis
- myOswego - links to download class lists and download advisees simplified to launch Microsoft Excel
- Registrar - completed Argos Transfer Articulation reports development, developed new programs to extract building and room definitions, and to extract course data to be used by Deans for term scheduling
- Other - completed modifications to approximately fifteen production programs as requested, adapted several programs to be compliant with the Banner Database Extension Utility release
- Reviewed security issues with the advisor roles and modified the view for selecting advisors\
- assisted in localizations, including the page header
- Human Resources implementation support (scanning demonstrations, set up document groups, users for test database)
Other Administrative Support
- Banner - planned and upgraded JRE version to run INB Banner, install FinAid 8.15 and ResWeb 8.15 to Banner test database
- CAS - set up a CAS server instance to test LDAP authentication with CAS
- Adirondack - CoCo - tested the new version of CoCo with the DIM processes, reported problems to Adirondack
Administrative System projects
- Luminis Portal Sandbox - worked with ITEC and SICAS to build a test Luminis portal, hosted by ITEC. Included installation of BEIS, CAS server setup to connect with our bantest database
Provided AV support for the following events
- College Council
- Faculty Assembly
- General Faculty Meeting
- Planning for Media Summit, FA Plenary, CAPA Scholarship events
- Steinkrause Lecture Series
- Reinstalled television service in Public Affairs office
- Planning for SEI, SoE and Rice Creek projects
- Provided training and orientation sessions for Institutional Research, Career Services, Counseling and Psychological Services, Communication Studies
- Provided maintenance on WNYO transmitter, exciter, and power metering
- Provided video conference and distance learning support for Communication Studies
- Resolved CATV issues in Oneida and Funnelle
- Replaced digital signage box in Sheldon
- Met with Counseling and Psychological Services regarding A/V needs
- Upgraded WTOP signal to digital and coordinate with Time Warner so that new digital channels show up on set top boxes.
CTS Projects or Support
- Diagnosed and corrected lecture capture difficulties
- Replaced control system in Campus Center 242
- Designed and revised programming for dual projector controls in classrooms
- Replaced projectors in Snygg 102 and Wilber 252
- Updated inventory of installed and replacement parts for digital signage and classroom control systems.
- Replaced digital switches in 8 classrooms.
- Investigated new ADA assisted listening requirements
- Arranged demonstrations of new web streaming encoders that will facilitate viewing on mobile devices
- Support for ORSP moves to Hewitt
- Support for renovation in Student Accounts offices
- Support for renovations in Public Affairs Office
- Wiring needs in 220 Hewiit
- VoIP installations for SOE phase 1
- Science Engineering Technology Cost Plannning
- Romney Field House technology planning
- Moves Add Changes
- 11 Adds
- 1 Change
- 8 Disconnects
- 2 Moves
- Monthly Billing
- Search for KBS1 Position
- TOA Executive Board Meeting@ SUNY Oneonta (Tyrone Johnson-Neuland)
- Troubleshoot multiple reported issues with network connectivity at Johnson front desk machine. Did extensive debugging and could not find an actual problem. Requested additional info from the Hall Director and did not hear back after multiple attempts to contact for the info.
- Reviewed outstanding DMCA issues to set up appointments or send to judicial
- Installed new battery unit in the Wilber 2nd floor closet
- Unpacked all remaining UPS battery pack units in old Steeper Bell to prepare for delivery
- Installed 2 battery packs in the Hewitt NW data closet
- Get Funnelle 6N, Hewitt SE/SW/NW, Waterbury 2nd, Wilber 141, Lee facilities UPS units and all APC PDU strips online from this summer
- Upgrade Firmware on UPS units to fix issue with UPS management software
- Replaced battery in Onondaga 6S after reported outage
- Unpacked additional UPS battery units for Seneca/Oneida and opened work order to have them moved to basements
- Unboxed 6 pallets of UPS BP units for Hart/Waterbury/Scales/Johnson/Lakeside/Cooper/Funnelle and moved to those data closets
- Replaced faulty UPS in Seneca 2nd floor
- Downloaded latest version of NAC Guest server and installed on system
- Looked into reported multiple wireless issues in 104 Lanigan. Ended up being a client related configuration issues
- Looked into a wireless coverage issue in Snygg CS wing
- Troubleshoot wireless users logging in with usernames that should not be working and resolved
- Ran audits on all of the wireless controllers to ensure everything was synced. There were issues with Lonis APs.
- Worked with OCO in Walker for network connectivity, tested all data drops and installed wall box where one was missing
- Worked on initial plan for expanding fac/staff wireless coverage editing floor plans with wall types, dimensions, etc
- Looked into iOS 6 issues with wireless. Upgraded to iOS 6 on test iTouch to verify wireless and we did not find any issues with an upgrade
- Updated license key on WISM2 controller, rebooted and verified count and connectivity still functioned
- Walker wireless issue with connectivity dropping. After troubleshooting determined laptops were not configured properly and that power to each wireless adapter in each laptop would turn off after X period of time. Worked with desktop group and informed them that setting needs to be set on all devices.
- Provided credentials for guest access for Institute for Global Engagement
- Troubleshoot issue with Bomgar from unauthenticated roles in CCA, added new host name and IP address combination for SSL
- Updated the test Apple computer to OS X 10.8.2 to verify connectivity.
- Worked with BlueCoat on support issue with device saying it can't contact support - just a cosmetic issue on that screen
- Opened support case with BlueCoat on a ResNet game classification for PS3 devices
- Troubleshoot network outages in Tyler, Mahar, Lanigan. Traced back to users connecting their IP phones wrong and creating a spanning-tree loop which took the switch they were connected to down.
- Worked on Mahar Artswego Mac with DNS resolving issues, determined Apple changed how their DNS querier functions again. Found fix and applied to the system and the issue has not cropped up again. Needs to be added as a general setting to all Mac images.
- Removed firewall rules for some departmental devices
- Worked with desktop group on slow ATC login issues, Tim found that it was related to a service on Win7 that needed to be changed to delayed startup
- Reports of outages to random web sites. Related to world-wide DDoS attack against GoDaddy infrastructure. Nothing we can do to resolve this as we do no provide those services
- Hewitt network outage - UPS failed, removed UPS unit and put on building power. Need to wait for facilities to remove absetos tiles before installing replacement UPS unit
- Configured initial switch for each new Hart stack for closet upgrades and delivered to each data closet in Hart.
- Researched 3750X IOS resolved caveats for input packet buffer issues
- Removed lowest SUNY inventory tag systems from Culkin network as there were no free addresses available for new devices
- Re-patched all Johnson basement jacks that previously had power injectors connected for Orientation summer use and removed injectors and properly patched
- Moved Penfield basement patch panel to correct data rack
- Organized Backbone, Johnson, Funnelle, Waterbury, Scales, Seneca Intermapper maps
- Locate and reconnect Carrier IVU in Mackin
- Verify yellow jacks for apartments in all renovated Res Halls on powered switches for additional ResHall phone installations
- Replaced switch in Lanigan with faulty ASIC chips
- Upgraded InformaCast to latest version
- Researched and ordered protective covers for InformaCast sidecar for UP
- Looked into adding button on phones for Informacast emergency notifications
- Certified CC 137 and Metro Center TelePresence units for Tata network usage with remove Tata NOC
- Installed replacement hard drive in NET-SAN-01 in Culkin
- Created DKIM keys for admiss.oswego.edu and notified the company that it should be set
- Worked on "domain not available" message from Windows 7 clients, made a few changes and determined the AD DNS servers are not able to resolve what the client is looking for. Still need to sort through some additional logs sent to us to see what else might be happening.
- XBOX/PS3/Wii/other registrations: 26
- DMCA take down notifications: 4
- Abuse Notifications: 5
- Workplace violence prevention workshop - all staff
- Attended Education Technology Officers Associate regional meeting - McQuin
- Attended "Windows Server 2012 First Look" - Timothy Yager
Phone Calls to the Technology Support Center (9/1/12-9/30/12):
Call Logging Statistics - 9/1- 9/30/2012
Tickets Logged By Time
Number of Tickets
8:00 AM - 11:59 AM
12:00 PM - 4:30 PM
4:31 PM - 9:00 PM
Total Tickets Logged