Taking Steps for the Future
Men's Soccer vs. Cazenovia
Location: Oswego, NY- Laker Soccer Field
Friday, Aug 29, 3 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Men's Soccer- Consolation
Location: Oswego, NY- Laker Soccer Field
Saturday, Aug 30, 1 p.m. - 3 p.m.
GOLD Third Thursdays
Visit http://www.facebook.com/events/453070221388940 for the latest locations or suggest your own!
Location: Various Cities
Thursday, Aug 21, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
GOLD Third Thursdays
Visit http://www.facebook.com/events/453070221388940 for the latest locations or suggest your own!
Location: Various Cities
Thursday, Sept 18, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
TechNews - May 2012
This is a summary of the activities supporting faculty, staff and student technology services at SUNY Oswego that occurred during April 2012.
- CTS Newsletter
Please take a look at our May newsletter to learn more about the Windows 7 campus upgrade, wireless expansion in Residence Halls, ANGEL version 8 upgrade this summer, ANGEL to Blackboard migration delay, SUNY Oswego mobile web site, multimedia production services and more. http://www.oswego.edu/blogs/ctsnewsletter/
- Routine Service Outage
As part of Campus Technology Services' efforts to keep servers running at optimum levels, a regular maintenance period has been designated. From 6AM to 10AM on the second Sunday of each month, several services such as E-mail, editing of both departmental and personal web pageswill not be available. The next scheduled outage is Sunday, May 13th, 2012.
For information on NYAlert: http://www.oswego.edu/administration/public_affairs/emergency/nyalert.html or
visit http://www.suny.edu/SUNYALERTsec to sign up.
- RAVE Guardian
For information on Rave Guardian http://oswego.edu/student/blogs/?cat=11 or to sign up: https://www.getrave.com/login/oswego
- Patch Wednesdays
CTS now has the capability of updating your campus owned computers for security fixes as well as functionality on a regularly scheduled basis. This may include software updates to programs such as Adobe Reader or Microsoft Word or to change Windows settings to better support your computers. In order to streamline this process we will only perform these updates on Wednesdays. These changes will be implemented only after thorough internal CTS testing. You may possibly notice a slight slowdown in computer performance at that time. Updates are added to a CTS calendar so you may see what changes have occurred to your computer on any given day or that are scheduled to be done.
The Technology Plan Is Done; Now What?
For the past many months the Technology Planning Subcommittee of CTAB and the board as a whole has been working to complete the college's first long-term strategic plan for technology. With the exception of a few minor details, that plan is done and ready for consumption and execution. If you have not had a chance to look at the plan, you will find it at the following link:
There are many sections to the technology plan. The sections that are likely to be of the greatest interest to most folks on campus are:
6.1 Needs Assessment Summary Report
7. Three-year Goals and Objectives
8. Annual Implementation Plan
By reviewing these sections you should have a pretty good idea of generally where our campus technology is going for the next three years and specifically for the upcoming year. If you have any questions or concerns about the direction of the technology plan you should contact your CTAB representative. The beauty of the plan developed by CTAB is its flexibility. Recognizing that technology as well as campus priorities can change substantially from year to year, the plan is designed to accommodate revisions annually to reflect those changes. At any point in time the plan provides us with a detailed roadmap for the future, but not one that is written in stone.
So, what next? There are two basic steps we need to take to set out down the road described by the tech plan. First and foremost, we need to execute the projects listed in the Annual Implementation Plan. These are projects based on a variety of factors including ongoing initiatives, the most recent technology needs assessment, the college's strategic plan, and the capital plan. Many of these projects are already underway. All of them are funded. I believe they will continue to help transform Oswego as a leading edge institution. Secondly, CTAB and the user community will need to begin the revision process at the start of the Fall 2012 semester. Already, technologies and timelines are changing from what we could accurately forecast not three months ago. Those changes will need to be reflected in the next iteration of the plan to keep the critical roadmap accurate. As long as the campus community can maintain the fine work done by CTAB this year, this technology plan will serve our students, faculty, and staff in an exemplary manner and distinguish Oswego as a visionary campus.
Finally, I would like to thank you all for the outstanding experience I have had these last four and a half years as your CTO. As you may know I have accepted the position of Vice Chancellor of Technology for the Foothill-De Anza Community College District in Cupertino, CA. My experience at Oswego has equipped me well for the challenges ahead in leading Foothill College and De Anza College. I am certain our paths will cross again, and I look forward to the opportunity for bicoastal collaborations in discovering new and better ways to serve our students through the effective use of technology.
Chief Technology Officer
Technology Support Center
TSC staff have started researching the possibility of replacing our HEAT ticketing system with a more up-to-date ITIL service management system. Systems have the potential of allowing a better ticketing system as well as allowing change, process and knowledge management, end-user self-service and use on mobile devices.
Interviews continue for the Help Desk Support Specialist position. We are hoping to have someone hired within the next two weeks.
Learning Management System
We will be upgrading to ANGEL version 8 on August 20-21st. ANGEL will not be available during this time frame. One of the biggest reasons for upgrading to version 8 is enhanced browser functionality with Apple's Safari and Google's Chrome.
If you have not seen the announcement of our ANGEL to Blackboard migration delay, please take a look at it from the ANGEL website. Blackboard recently announced it will continue to support ANGEL indefinitely (previous to this Blackboard was ending support for ANGEL in 2014). Due to this, we will continue to be on ANGEL through the 2013-2014 academic year.
The Elluminate software used for synchronous online teaching and meetings is now officially available for the whole campus to use. There are two ways in which Elluminate can be used - either directly through the Elluminate Live Manager or through a course in ANGEL. More information about these options and many FAQs are available from the CTS Elluminate web site. The Elluminate product is currently hosted by SUNY ITEC with additional user support of the product through SLN.
Recently, the SUNY Learning Network (SLN) negotiated a contract with McGraw-Hill (MH) to allow all SUNY campuses access to the MH Campus "nugget" within ANGEL. When enabled, this nugget allows you to use MH textbook resources such as PowerPoint presentations, quizzes, sample chapters, etc. in your course. Please see our "How To - Add McGraw-Hill Nugget to ANGEL Course" article for more information.
In addition to utilizing textbook resources, you can also use the MH Create product to create your own textbook. This feature allows you to pick specific chapters of different textbooks and upload pdf documents to create your own textbook.
Please check the ANGEL website for dates and times for upcoming workshops.
If you are interested in setting up a community group, please visit the ANGEL web site at www.oswego.edu/academics/angel. Community groups are limited to academic and/or university related activities only.
The Spring lineup of CTS workshops has ended. Please see the CELT Spring BreakOut schedule for a list of workshops that will be available after graduation.
We are working on scheduling some summer workshops on Windows 7, LakerApps, and Elluminate. The summer workshop schedule will be available within the next few weeks. Please check http://www.oswego.edu/cts/training.
Self-paced, on-demand tutorials are also available from our iTunes U site. Tutorials covering Microsoft Word 2010, Excel 2010, PowerPoint 2010 and LakerApps Sites are currently available. ANGEL workshops are available from the main ANGEL website.
Updating your department web site with Ingeniux workshops are available at the Ingeniux Training site.
The Skillport e-learning software is available to all faculty, staff and students. Skillport includes business and technology-related courses (including Office 2010) as well as courses and test preps needed to prepare you for many business and technical certifications. Get started at the Skillport home page.
New Student Orientation
CTS is working on an updated video and checklist that will help prepare new students for technology they will be using on campus. CTS will be presenting to students and parents as well as staffing a table at the Crusin the Campus session for them to ask further questions.
SUNY Oswego faculty and staff may purchase a copy of either MS Office Professional Plus 2010 (PC version) or Office 2011 (Mac version) for use on their personal computers for $9.95 plus tax. This "Home Use Program" is made available to faculty and staff through the campus purchase of the Microsoft Campus Agreement. Details of how to go about purchasing can be found from the CTS MS Office Home Use Program (HUP) page.
Microsoft offers students a significantly reduced price on its products. For the special pricing and to buy online visit www.theultimatesteal.com.
Campus Technology Services (CTS) would like to inform users that new releases of browsers aren't always fully compatible with some web-based campus services that you need to access. The use of an unsupported browser can result in inconsistent or unpredictable behavior when working in applications. Please check with the TSC before updating.
The Ingeniux Content Management System for making updates to content on departmental web sites will be upgraded May 30th from 1am-5am. The system will be unavailable for use during this time.
The Web Team continues to evaluate portal products that can be used for single-sign-on to multiple systems. The chosen system will allow all users to go to one web page where they login and have access to LakerApps, ANGEL and myOswego without having to reauthenticate to each system.
The semester testing of echo360 and Tegrity is winding down. We hope to have a final decision on which system will be chosen by June 1. Products that have been piloted over the last two years include Camtasia Studio, Camtasia Relay, Panopto, echo360 and Tegrity. The decision will be based on faculty and student feedback as well as administrative overhead of administering and maintaing each system.
Our technicians have continued to aid faculty, staff and students in resolving hardware, software, and account related issues. Since the beginning of April Campus Technology Services technicians have assisted in the resolution of 51 hardware, 85 software, and 19 account related support requests.
New equipment has been configured and installed within: Alumni and Development Office, Biology Department, Curriculum and Instruction Department, Graphic Arts Department, Chemistry Department, Political Science Department, and Technology Education Department.
We have continued the deployment of Windows 7 to faculty, staff and lab computers. We have re-imaged or replaced approximately 40 additional Faculty and Staff computers throughout the month.
IMAGE PREPARATION AND REVIEW
We have prepared prototype images for the Macintosh and Windows platforms to be reviewed by members of CTAB. During the week of April 23rd the four prototype images were made available for review (one Macintosh and one windows for each basic lab image and faculty/staff desktop image). We would like to thank those members of CTAB who took time out of their busy schedules to review these images and provide feedback to help us provide a better software distribution to the campus community.
- Began testing of profile capture and restore software to ease Windows 7 rollout
- Patched campus computers to Office 2010 service pack 1
- Completed changeover of Landesk driver library from Windows XP to Windows 7
- Institutional Research - Adapted three Argos queries for visa code reporting; developed three Argos queries to be used in reconciling SIRIS SRDS reporting.
- Alumni/Development - Developed an Argos solution to extract prospect information for the major gift officers calling pool, and another to report parent information for current students. Developed a process to upload prospect Wealth Engine data into Banner
- Financial Aid - Developed a program to select students eligible for the academic excellence scholarship for students
- Registrar's - Assisted in resolving issues with the R25 Schedule 25 interface, developed an Argos solution to extract term GPA data, modified five existing reports, researched problem with the section roll program, and removed meeting and approval data from new sections as requested .
- Orientation/First Year Advisement - Completed changes requested for First Choice, adapted the (myOswego) New Student Menu to record the verification of major as an admissions (checklist) item, added a prompt requiring childhood education majors to select a concentration, and provided the link to VisualZen so that students can complete their orientation reservation.
- Housing - Adapted ResNet and room access programs to better service special summer groups
- Parking - assisted with the development of new parking rules and regulations document
- Public Affairs - developed a new program to select and edit address data for selected student populations (graduates, deans list, president's list)
Adirondack Solutions (Residence Life and Housing/Judicial Affairs)
THD - assisted with returning student room selection lottery
Conduct Coordinator - attributed system hangs to the ColdFusion server and recommended resetting the server to resolve the problem, addressed reporting issues resulting by correcting administrative privileges
Other Administrative Support
- Banner (production) - installed (two) Financial Aid/Resweb 8.14 releases
- Banner Patches -three SICAS patches installed to Banner production and test databases
- Tested Millenium data import fix.
- Corrected Millenium reports for Housing office. Due to DB upgrade.
- conducting interviews for System Security Coordinator
Administrative System projects
- Luminis Portal Sandbox - worked with ITEC and SICAS to build a test Luminis portal, hosted by ITEC. Included installation of BEIS, CAS server setup to connect with our bantest database
Provided AV support for the following events
• Middle States Open Forum
• Honors Ceremony
• Admissions Open Houses
• General Faculty Meeting
• Faculty Assembly
• Meteorology Conference
• Hunger games support
• Alumni: Peter Bocko streaming planning meeting
• CSEA meeting in 101 Lanigan
• Ophthalmology presentation by Kristen Gublo
• CMA Open House
• STEM Conference
• SAPB Concert
• Biology Club: NY Wildlife Rescue
• Lecture Capture video analysis
• Lanigan building tour with architects
• Science Building
• SoE Building
• Rice Creek Building
• Emergency Broadcast installation and testing
• Skype training and assistance: SOE
• Equipment maintenance and repair: WTOP
• Search Committee duties for Communication Studies Support Engineer
• Wireless video transmission analysis and installation: Res Life, CELT, WTOP
• Public Ceremonies Planning for commencement
• Training and Supervision: BRC 429 and 235 productions and labs, MKT 467 productions
CTS Projects or Support
• Labman Conference: Planning Meeting
• Reinstalled amp that was repaired reprogrammed cards for Cobranet
• Design analysis comparing Creston and Extron control systems
• CATV distribution system
• VoIP install in Culkin Hall
• VoIP install in Bldg 20
• Hewitt Union NE corner offices build out
- 3 Adds
- 0 Swaps
- 0 Changes
- 27 Disconnects
- 2 Moves
- Generate Monthly Bills
- Training backup person on monthly billing process
- Form Updates in Google Docs
- Verified information was updated and current regarding DMCA issues on campus website and remediation website
- Updated Clean Access Bomgar rules
- Prepared bags for ResHall delivery for HUB, power supply and cables for student move out.
- Opened case with BlueCoat for Shaper errors, replaced unit with RMA'd device
- Configured and tested initial configuration of sponsor guest access creation
- Participated in interviews for Help Desk and Networking student positions
- TrendNet was on campus filming a video case study of our use of some of their products
- Installed new and replacement wireless access points in Lanigan Graphics/CTS areas, Snygg 102, Onondaga laundry, Tyler lobby and 216 lab, Riggs/Johnson basement classrooms & 1st floor lobbies
- Corrected wireless controller issues after running configuration was not in sync with stored configuration.
- Located rogue wireless access in Graduate Studies office - turned out to be an Apple, re-configured the incorrectly configured device
- Installed replacement switch stack for Culkin 1st and 2nd floors
- Created RADIUS backend configuration for Building 20 IP phone deployments
- Installed new IP phones in Culkin floors 2-7 and in Building 20
- Assisted with CATV Primsa network configuration issues
- Tested SUNY LDAP schema extension and multi-attribute returns for Clean Access
- Worked on BOM for Supplemental wireless in LMMWSF and for Seneca, Oneida, Sheldon Phase 2 equipment
- Created FW rules for Luminus testing
- Created FW rule for Web Logic access
- Created temporary FW rule to allow access to an off-campus VPN services for vendor access
- Worked with NYSERNet to get Internet2 R&E BGP route exchange working, finally got it working after re-engineering how we connect to the Metro Center
- Removed ns1 from LDAP RRDNS record and replaced with bullwinkle-2
- Moved Lonis, Mackin, Scales, Waterbury BDF aggregation points to new UPS units and moved network equipment to new UPS units
- Replaced faulty UPS unit in Funnelle 6th floor with new larger unit
- Replace faulty UPS battery Pathfinder BDF, Johnson 1st floor, Moreland 2nd floor
- Inventoried all old access points, old network switches and UPS units for trade-in credits
- Worked with Apple on why new Mac clients post August/September 2011 are unable to boot via the network for imaging purposes
- Helped with an issue with the Helpdesk Expert Automation Tool
- Troubleshoot TelePresence unit in Campus Center, power to half of the unit was removed
- Troubleshoot Carrier-link HVAC/BMS issue of not being able to monitor remote buildings, controller was connected via a bad speed pull pair
- Provided guest access for Sociology, Math, Women's Studies event, Math, Story Teller's Guild ARCON conference
- Located stolen laptop per reported incident via University Police
- Configured and tested new IP video camera before deployment
- XBOX/PS3/Wii/other registrations: 0
- OSX 10.4 NAC filters: 0
- DMCA take down notifications: 6
- Abuse Notifications: 26
- SUNY Technology Conference Planning: McQuin
- SYMCO Technology Showcase: Hageny, McQuin, Perkins
- Crestron Essentials Training: Perkins
- Document Camera comparisons: Samsung, Elmo, Wolfvision: All staff
- Bomgar Remote Support Demo: Hageny, McQuin
- Premier Ceiling Support Demonstration: McQuin
- Completed renewal for Extron A/V Associate Certificate: Schleinitz
- Tyrone Johnson-Neuland: Administering Cisco Unified Communications Workspace Part 2
- SU 140 Character conference, Syracuse, NYConference is aimed at exposing how the web is changing people's lives in real-time and how it has done so for each of the speakers.Dan Laird
- Instruction Designer Certificate Program - designed to help new instructional designers be confident in their knowledge and abilities in guiding new faculty in course development process.Kathi Dutton
Phone Calls to the Technology Support Center (4/1/12-4/30/12): 762
Call Logging Statistics - 4/1- 4/30/2012
|Tickets Logged By Time||Number of Tickets|
|8:00 AM - 11:59 AM||338
|12:00 PM - 4:30 PM||346
|4:31 PM - 9:00 PM||
|Total Tickets Logged||751