Taking Steps for the Future
ALANA Student Leadership Conference begins
The ALANA (African, Latino, Asian and Native American communities) Student Leadership Conference promotes a multicultural environment at SUNY Oswego, which will allow all members of the campus community as well as those from other colleges and universities to interact positively in an atmosphere of mutual consideration and understanding. The conference encourages new and returning students to participate in workshops and other special events that will help them expand their knowledge about ALANA cultures and improve their leadership skills and practices. Free. 312-5420.
Location: SUNY Oswego campus
Thursday, Sept 18, 6:30 p.m. - 10 p.m.
Concert: Jazz drummer Dafnis Prieto and Si o Si Quartet
The arrival of Cuban percussionist Dafnis Prieto in the United States was greeted as a major event in the jazz and Latin music worlds. With multiple Latin Grammy nominations and a MacArthur Fellowship to his credit, he brings his exciting quartet to Oswego. $15 ($5 for SUNY Oswego students), including parking in the Culkin Hall lot (E-6) and nearby lot E-18. 312-2141. http://www.oswego.edu/arts
Location: Ballroom, Hewitt Union
Tuesday, Sept 23, 7:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Men's Soccer vs. Wells
Location: Oswego, NY- Laker Soccer Field
Wednesday, Sept 17, 4 p.m. - 6 p.m.
Women's Tennis vs. Cortland
Location: Oswego, NY- Romney Tennis Courts
Thursday, Sept 18, 4 p.m. - 6 p.m.
GOLD Third Thursdays
Visit http://www.facebook.com/events/453070221388940 for the latest locations or suggest your own!
Location: Various Cities
Thursday, Sept 18, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
GOLD Third Thursdays
Visit http://www.facebook.com/events/453070221388940 for the latest locations or suggest your own!
Location: Various Cities
Thursday, Oct 16, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
TechNews - March 2013
This is a summary of the activities supporting faculty, staff and student technology services at SUNY Oswego that occurred during February 2013.
Reminders - Please make sure that your co-workers know about these
- Routine Service Outage
As part of Campus Technology Services' efforts to keep servers running at optimum levels, a regular maintenance period has been designated. From 6AM to 10AM on the second Sunday of each month, several services such as E-mail, editing of both departmental and personal web pageswill not be available. The next scheduled outage is Sunday, January 13th, 2013.
For information on NYAlert: http://www.oswego.edu/administration/public_affairs/emergency/nyalert.html or
visit http://www.suny.edu/SUNYALERTsec to sign up.
- RAVE Guardian
For information on Rave Guardian http://oswego.edu/student/blogs/?cat=11 or to sign up: https://www.getrave.com/login/oswego
- Patch Wednesdays
CTS now has the capability of updating your campus owned computers for security fixes as well as functionality on a regularly scheduled basis. This may include software updates to programs such as Adobe Reader or Microsoft Word or to change Windows settings to better support your computers. In order to streamline this process we will only perform these updates on Wednesdays. These changes will be implemented only after thorough internal CTS testing. You may possibly notice a slight slowdown in computer performance at that time. Updates are added to a CTS calendar so you may see what changes have occurred to your computer on any given day or that are scheduled to be done.
- Workshops calendar
Look here for a listing of all professional development workshop registrations, calendars and information.
- CTS News
Make sure to visit our CTS New blog for some of our latest information on updated or new services, future services, technology tips, and more.
- CTS Projects
Check our CTS Projects for brief descriptions of the projects CTS is currently working on.
Technology Support Center
Work continues on the implementation of the ServiceNow service management software. We will be replacing the HEAT ticketing system with the more robust, easy to use, ITIL-based ServiceNow product. A majority of the work for our first phase implementation has been completed. We will be making a first pass at training and collecting feedback with the rest of the staff in early April.
Learning Management System
Please check the ANGEL website for dates and times for upcoming workshops.
If you are interested in setting up a community group, please visit the ANGEL web site at www.oswego.edu/academics/angel. Community groups are limited to academic and/or university related activities only.
Spring workshops are now available for registration. We will have a number of 20-minute short sessions on using particular features of LakerApps Gmail, Calendar and Drive as well as sessions on multimedia, lecture capture, CTS Projects, Elluminate and ANGEL, LakerApps Forms, Spreadsheets and Presentations, MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint. More information is available from our CTS Workshops Registration page.
If you missed the Cyber Security Awareness trainings offered last fall and in January, you may view a recording of it on our CTS Security site.
There is a new professional development website that includes links to training schedules and registrations for workshops offered by CELT, ORSP, ANGEL, Web Development (Ingeniux) and CTS. Check it out at www.oswego.edu/workshops.
Self-paced, on-demand tutorials are also available from our iTunes U site. Tutorials covering Microsoft Word 2010, Excel 2010, PowerPoint 2010 and LakerApps Sites are currently available.
The Skillport e-learning software is available to all faculty, staff and students. Skillport includes business and technology-related courses (including Office 2010) as well as courses and test preps needed to prepare you for many business and technical certifications. Get started at the Skillport home page.
SUNY Oswego faculty and staff may purchase a copy of either MS Office Professional Plus 2010 (PC version) or Office 2011 (Mac version) for use on their personal computers for $9.95 plus tax. This "Home Use Program" is made available to faculty and staff through the campus purchase of the Microsoft Campus Agreement. Details of how to go about purchasing can be found from the CTS MS Office Home Use Program (HUP) page.
Microsoft offers students a significantly reduced price on its products. For the special pricing and to buy online visit www.theultimatesteal.com.
Campus Technology Services (CTS) would like to inform users that new releases of browsers aren't always fully compatible with some web-based campus services that you need to access. The use of an unsupported browser can result in inconsistent or unpredictable behavior when working in applications. Please check with the TSC before updating.
Have you used the new SUNY Oswego mobile app? Look for the "SUNY Oswego Mobile" app in the appropriate Apple and Google stores to get access to directories, maps, news, events, library, dining hall menus, weather and more. You can also access the mobile site from a mobile device browser. Just go to http://m.oswego.edu.
During the month of February, Campus Technology Services technicians have continued to aid faculty, staff and students in resolving hardware, software, and account related issues. Since the beginning of February Campus Technology Services technicians have assisted in the resolution of 46 hardware, 87 software, and 20 account related support requests.
Our desktop support technicians continue to prepare and deploy new equipment as it arrives. During the month of February new equipment has been configured and installed for: Development Office, Economics Department, English Department, Facilities Department, History Department, Music Department, Mathematics Department, Office of Research and Sponsored Programs, Provost Office, Psychology Department, Public Justice Department, Publications Department, and Recreation Department.
Lab Utilization Statistics
The table below displays the number of login sessions that have occurred within the campus open access computer labs over the last month.
|Location||# of Logins
|Campus Center 207||4493
|Penfield 24 Hour||2301|
Over the month of February, virtual applications were launched 61 times.
- Admissions - developed a program to 'archive' Banner person records that have been recruited and do not have other Banner information; modified nine programs as requested
- Alumni and Development - developed new programs for reporting previous donors; updated ethnicity and race reporting; documented and trained staff to use Self-Service Banner for Advancement Officers
- Athletics - modifie one program as requested, began ACS Athletics integration project (est. fall 2013 go live) by reviewing data to be exchanged
- Financial Aid - continued new aid year setup for loading data and awarding new students; modified award letter and missing information letter
- Institutional Research - SIRIS reporting support, assisted in posting ethnicity survey to myOswego, modified three programs as requested
- provided Degreeworks support, adapted myOswego to use Degreeworks rather than CAPP
- student id photos are now available in Banner, myOswego, and Angel
- completed various program modifications
- Res Life and Housing
- The Housing Director (THD) - assisted with Village lotteries and system support
- Millenium - planned for summer student access, using reusable key cards
- Conduct Coordinator - updated the report numbering method for 2013; corrected custom attribute error caused by bad data
- Student Accounts - developed three Argos reports for application of payment reporting and loan redeposits, modified the CashNet ebill extractor (email address), added a registration check in the additional dining dollars purchase algorithm
- Student Advisement - myOswego New Student Menu revisions, modified international student reporting as requested
- Walker Health Center - continued working with Medicat to upload student immunization and waiver data from Banner
Other Administrative Support
- Upgrades - Administrative Technologies
- Installation and testing of Banner Student (8.5.1 - 8.5.5,8.5S4) , General (8.5.1-8.5.2, 8.5S1), StuWeb (8.5.1-8.5.4, 8.5S1), FacWeb (8.5.1-8.5.4,8.5S1), Webailor (8.5.1-8.5.2)
- SSOmanager installation on production
- CAS server setup
- Testing for replacement of banner-apps server
- Work on application to add computer to domain, added landesk agent, windows activation and nic power management functionality.
- Apply GP to CTS computers to change local passwords on computers.
- Moved LS1 VM to new ESXi host
- Plan for replacement of banner-apps server
- Addressed Banner/Java security issue on Macs
- Moving file shares from at-fs2 to at-fs5
- Testing Windows 8
- Using CBT Nugget training class Windows Server 2012 70-410
- Modified add to domain application to not include landesk agent
- Worked on Millenium import batch files
- Modified Archive settings for cameras in Cisco Video Surveillance system.
- Converted at-fs2 server into a VM.
- upgraded Deep Freeze server to Server 2012
- Convert old at-fs2 server hardware to ESXi host for test VMs
- Move test/template VMs to ESXi host.
- Setting up replacement server 2012 VM for landesk-console.
- Test Avecto upgrade to 3.6.221
- Create new VM for Science building print server
- Upgrading windows servers to Sophos 10.2
- upgraded of test Pharos server.
Provided AV support for the following eventsOn campus events:
- International student welcome by President
- Lilly Ledbetter (Ernst & Young Lecture Series)
- Governor's Regional Economic Development Committee planning
- New auditoriums for Shineman and SoE design and review
- Shineman construction, order and receipt of equipment, cable installation,
- SoE planning and review.
- Exploration of shared cable TV contracts with SUNY Cortland and Oneonta.
- Rice Creek classroom design and infrastructure review.
- Installed audio equipment in Laker Hall pool* Modified Laker pool sound system
- NYO transmitter maintenance
- Developed Metro Center regular preventive maintenance program
- Repaired damaged CATV linkage in Onondaga
- Configured video conference units in Culkin 211 to provide better video connection to SUNY Global Center
- Admissions reception area technology review
CTS Projects or Support
- CTO interviews and open forums
- Culkin 211 instructional manual
- Evaluation of projector and projected image in Snygg 127, CC 322, Lanigan 106, Mahar 220.
- Tightrope carousel repairs and software upgrades
- Evaluation of wireless communication between computer and display.
- Revised touch screen layout for nine Campus Center classrooms
- VoIP phone installations continue
- Installations of Security Cameras in West Campus Dining Hall Tunnels
- SEI/ SOE Technology Planning/ Field Verifications
- Wiring of Lanigan 20
- Relocation of data wiring Mahar 327
- Moves Add Changes
- 5 Adds
- 1 Change
- 25 Disconnects
- 2 Moves
- Monthly Billing
- Created FW rule for Snygg Math Konica MFC for CS access
- Modified FW rule for Doug Pippin replacement machine for FileMaker access
- Verfied VPN firewall rules for Trane access
- Looked into vendor VPN access for ticketing
- Helped ATC group with an Extrox issue in Sheldon - appears to be a hardware issue
- Replaced faulty power module in Penfield UPS
- Worked on making sure all UPS units and PDU strips are added to StructureWare Central for better remote monitoring and centralized configuration. Opened several support tickets to get it working properly.
- Patched new data jacks for Lanigan room 20 after new furniture was installed and disabled old data jacks
- Installed correct power stacking cables for laniganswitch-01 and -02
- Verified that Phoenix data was working again, it was, emailed Barb Metcalf to let her know
- Called NEC about SMARTNet contract issues and why not all of our equipment was showing as being covered
- Looked up why translation patterns appear not to be functioning properly for masked caller ids
- Helped Dave learn how to pull information from LDAP, strip the results and reformat them into a way that you can populate a mailing list with email addresses
- Sent HEOA DMCA compliance email to all on-campus students
- Changed UCM syncing with LDAP to import department accounts from a different part of the LDAP tree for the corporate directory.
- Worked with Andy G on moving UCX accounts from LDAP people tree to separate tree structure for those users
- Looked at what needed to be done in Littlepage for phone conversions and put together detailed steps
- Looked at Intermapper time settings for a Symon box that keeps going offline, time is correct on Intermapper, looks like NTP is not set on the Symon box as the crash log date/times do not match with times Intermapper says it was down
- Looked at 2 IVS cameras that were not working. I tried them and they worked with no problems, gave back to Telecom for re-use
- Worked with Kevin Stillman and Anthony Rose @ SUNY Global to try and figure out call video connectivity issues with 211 Culkin - Turned out to be an issue with SysAdmin and firewall settings @ Global after a firewall upgrade there
- Looked at banner "disconnect" ticket, must be hitting idle timer or local settings on the machine are causing the problem (such as screen saver, power management, etc)
- Installed test SAN environment with UCS chassis in order to upgrade wireless management software to work with the current wireless controller software we are running
- Spent a ton of time trying to migrate from WCS wireless management software to new Prime Infrastructure software
- Installed new access point in Culkin
- Pushed out latest XPC wired installer to try and fix Mac 10.8.2 configuration issues
- Looked at the LabQuest instrument that Chemistry/Biology/etc will be using in science building. Wireless functionality is really not what it should be. Suggest using USB cables and connecting to their laptops directly and running the software that way
- Worked on wireless layouts and heat coverage maps for Science wireless
- Troubleshot wireless issues with new BOCES laptops - the old account they were using was never updated with an NTLM password hash in LDAP, had to modify password to meet our current password requirements to add the NTLM hash
- Troubleshoot Hart and Hewitt access points that were offline, L1 connectivity issues to all 3 devices but are working now
- Looked at IDS policies for wireless, changed thresholds for certain events for testing to try and cut down on a lot of the false positive reports
- Closed lingering HEAT DMCA/Abuse tickets, removed DMCA/Abuse exclusions from all wireless controllers, removed templates from PI
- Cleaned up AP Authorization templates from all controllers, left MSE authorization LBS-SSC cert on the 7 controllers
- Looked at adding switches to PI for switch port tracking, user tracking, rogue detection
- Removed AD workstation restrictions on several accounts for desktop support group having issues connecting via 802.1x
- Activated and labeled Funnelle, Lonis/Mackin/Moreland, Johnson data jacks for IP Phones
- XBOX/PS3/Wii/other registrations: 31
- DMCA take down notifications: 0
- Abuse Notifications: 4
- Crestron Road Show -- Digital Media: Hageny, Perkins, Schleinitz
- Training: Service Now. Canning, Hageny, McQuin, Norman, Perkins, Schleinitz
- SUNY Technology Certification Committee: McQuin
- SLN SOL Summit - Kathi Dutton, Nicole Decker
- EDUCAUSE ELI Annual Meeting - Kathi Dutton, Nicole Decker
- SEFA Building Representative of the Year (2012) - Bob Hageny
- New Programmer/Analyst for Administrative Technologies/Development and Alumni Relations - Suzanne Maniccia
- New Programmer/Analyst for Administrative Technologies - Margaret Prisco
Phone Calls to the Technology Support Center (2/1/13-2/28/13): 703
Call Logging Statistics - 2/1- 2/28/2013
|Tickets Logged By Time||Number of Tickets|
|8:00 AM - 11:59 AM||282
|12:00 PM - 4:30 PM||274
|4:31 PM - 9:00 PM||
|Total Tickets Logged||598