Taking Steps for the Future
First Summer Session begins
Tuesday, May 28, noon - noon
Service Awards Recognition Luncheon
The recognition luncheon honors SUNY Oswego's CSEA, Council 82, PBA and PEF employees for their years of service. $8 (admission by ticket only). 312-2230.
Location: Arena and Convocation Hall, Campus Center
Friday, June 14, noon - 2 p.m.
Location: Oswego and vicinity
Thursday, June 6, noon - noon
Thursday, June 20, noon - noon
TechNews - March 2012
This is a summary of the activities supporting faculty, staff and student technology services at SUNY Oswego that occurred during February 2012.
- Routine Service Outage
As part of Campus Technology Services' efforts to keep servers running at optimum levels, a regular maintenance period has been designated. From 6AM to 10AM on the second Sunday of each month, several services such as E-mail, editing of both departmental and personal web pageswill not be available. The next scheduled outage is Sunday, March 11th, 2012.
For information on NYAlert: http://www.oswego.edu/administration/public_affairs/emergency/nyalert.html or
visit http://www.suny.edu/SUNYALERTsec to sign up.
- RAVE Guardian
For information on Rave Guardian http://oswego.edu/student/blogs/?cat=11 or to sign up: https://www.getrave.com/login/oswego
- Patch Wednesdays
CTS now has the capability of updating your campus owned computers for security fixes as well as functionality on a regularly scheduled basis. This may include software updates to programs such as Adobe Reader or Microsoft Word or to change Windows settings to better support your computers. In order to streamline this process we will only perform these updates on Wednesdays. These changes will be implemented only after thorough internal CTS testing. You may possibly notice a slight slowdown in computer performance at that time. Updates are added to a CTS calendar so you may see what changes have occurred to your computer on any given day or that are scheduled to be done.
Technology Support Center
You can reach us by phone at 312.3456 or at 26 Lanigan Hall or our website.
Are you on Facebook? Want to receive updates from CTS on new services, updates, system outages, and more? We recently created a "SUNY Oswego - Campus Technology Services" Facebook group. Become a fan and start receiving updates!
Learning Management System
We will be upgrading to ANGEL version 8 on August 20-21st. ANGEL will not be available during this time frame. One of the biggest reasons for upgrading to version 8 is enhanced browser functionality with Apple's Safari and Google's Chrome.
The ANGEL Team continues to learn about Blackboard (BB) Learn to help prepare the campus for a migration to take place tentatively in the 2013 timeframe. There are certain ANGEL features that are currently not available in BB Learn, but will be incorporated into the product in the future. We also are staying abreast of Blackboard's progress towards Student Information System integration so we can prepare for Banner integration of student registration. The ANGEL course migration tool continues to be tested at SLN and locally on campus to provide feedback to BB on what works and doesn't work.
The Elluminate software used for synchronous online teaching and meetings is now officially available for the whole campus to use. There are two ways in which Elluminate can be used - either directly through the Elluminate Live Manager or through a course in ANGEL. More information about these options and many FAQs are available from the CTS Elluminate web site. The Elluminate product is currently hosted by SUNY ITEC with additional user support of the product through SLN.
Recently, the SUNY Learning Network (SLN) negotiated a contract with McGraw-Hill (MH) to allow all SUNY campuses access to the MH Campus "nugget" within ANGEL. When enabled, this nugget allows you to use MH textbook resources such as PowerPoint presentations, quizzes, sample chapters, etc. in your course. Please see our "How To - Add McGraw-Hill Nugget to ANGEL Course" article for more information.
In addition to utilizing textbook resources, you can also use the MH Create product to create your own textbook. This feature allows you to pick specific chapters of different textbooks and upload pdf documents to create your own textbook.
Please check the ANGEL website for dates and times for upcoming workshops.
If you are interested in setting up a community group, please visit the ANGEL web site at www.oswego.edu/academics/angel. Community groups are limited to academic and/or university related activities only.
The Spring lineup of CTS workshops is available. We have a variety of workshops covering LakerApps Gmail, Calendar, Docs and Sites, introductory and advanced workshops on Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, Windows 7 and Apple Lion operating systems, Elluminate web-conferencing, multimedia creation and editing, using an Advanced Technology Classroom and more.
The complete schedule of workshops along with their full descriptions is available from http://www.oswego.edu/cts/training.
Self-paced, on-demand tutorials are also available from our iTunes U site. Tutorials covering Microsoft Word 2010, Excel 2010, PowerPoint 2010 and LakerApps Sites are currently available. ANGEL workshops are available from the main ANGEL website.
Updating your department web site with Ingeniux workshops are available at the Ingeniux Training site.
The Skillport e-learning software is available to all faculty, staff and students. Skillport includes business and technology-related courses (including Office 2010) as well as courses and test preps needed to prepare you for many business and technical certifications. Get started at the Skillport home page.
SUNY Oswego faculty and staff may purchase a copy of either MS Office Professional Plus 2010 (PC version) or Office 2011 (Mac version) for use on their personal computers for $9.95 plus tax. This "Home Use Program" is made available to faculty and staff through the campus purchase of the Microsoft Campus Agreement. Details of how to go about purchasing can be found from the CTS MS Office Home Use Program (HUP) page.
Microsoft is offering students a significantly reduced price on its products. To determine if students qualify for the special pricing and to buy online visit www.theultimatesteal.com.
The SUNY Oswego mobile site was officially released. You can view it on a mobile phone at http://m.oswego.edu. The first release of the app has access to a campus directory, campus maps, the library, campus news and events, emergency phone numbers and more. Work continues to add even more functionality for the future.
Campus Technology Services (CTS) would like to inform users that new releases of browsers aren't always fully compatible with some web-based campus services that you need to access. The use of an unsupported browser can result in inconsistent or unpredictable behavior when working in applications. Please check with the TSC before updating.
The echo360 and Tegrity lecture capture systems are being piloted this Spring 2012 semester. Both systems have been configured, rooms set-up and tested with proper Audio/Video and faculty trained. We have twelve faculty participating, including one faculty teaching their class fully online.
Campus Technology Services technicians have continued to aid faculty, staff and students in resolving hardware, software, and account related issues. Since the beginning of February Campus Technology Services technicians have assisted in the resolution of 66 hardware, 110 software, and 18 account related support requests.
new equipment has been configured and installed within: Anthropology/Sociology Department, Art Department, Biology Department, Chemistry Department, Counseling and Psychological Services Department, Curriculum and Instruction Department, Economics Department, Music Department, Office of Learning Services Writing Center in Penfield, Penfield Lab , Psychology Department, Public Justice Department, Residence Life and Housing Hart Lab, Residence Life and Housing Oneida Lab, Residence Life and Housing Scales Lab, School of Business, School of Education Dean's office, and the Theatre Department. Also replaced all the PCs in the Penfield computer Lab.
MOBILE DEVICE MANAGEMENT
With the growth in the number of campus owned an personal mobile devices (ipads, iphones, windows phones, kindles, android devices, ...) in use on campus, Campus Technology Services has begun investigating Mobile Device Management (MDM) opportunities. The goal of this investigation is to determine whether or not a MDM solution would be beneficial to the campus community for the provisioning, imaging, deployment of campus purchased software, and general management of these devices.
Campus Technology Services has been working over the past few years to minimize the number of differing sets of credentials (username/password) that Faculty, Staff and Students need to access services provided by the campus. Currently the suite of tools that have been locally developed allow you to modify your password for many services (such as: LakerApps, ANGEL, CTS computer labs, the Parking Office website, Ingeniux, etc), however these tools did not incorporate the password used for logging into faculty and staff campus computers on the CTS-DOMAIN. CTS is pleased to announce that our upcoming revision to these tools will also address the CTS-DOMAIN password at the same time.
Beginning in 2014, Microsoft will be discontinuing support for Windows XP, no new updates will be issued for that version of Windows after that. In order to continue to provide up-to-date functionality and security to the campus Windows community, Campus Technology Services (CTS) is now deploying of Windows 7 to both faculty/staff and lab computers.
• Alumni/Development - Revised five programs for to improve donor and campaign reporting
• Institutional Research - Assisted with SUNY System Administration data submissions; made revisions to the NPSAS (Nat'l Postsecondary Student Aid Study) process
• Financial Aid - Assisted in planning and completing the new aid year (12-13) setup for FAFSA data
• Registrar's - Revised transcript print program for portrait orientation; completed revisions to nine Argos objects
• Orientation/First Year Advisement - Developed an interface to upload math placement data from Maplesoft in order to provide better tracking and reporting of results for advisement; revised orientation reservation interface for the (spring) TransferEDGE program; began EOP student modifications for myOswego First Choice link
• Other - revisions to 25 programs for OLS, Financial Aid, Admissions, Student Accounts and Registrars
Adirondack Solutions (Residence Life and Housing/Judicial Affairs)
• THD - assisted with returning student room selection lottery and Coordinated changes in returning student room selection
• Conduct Coordinator - collaborated with Adirondack resolve Banner / CoCo integration problems/errors
Revised Argos solutions to include all students, include advisor information and outlined race and ethnicity reporting for the School of Education
Other Administrative Support
• Banner (production) - installed (six) Financial Aid, ResWeb 8.12 and 8.13 releases
• Banner (test) - installed (twelve) Financial Aid, Webtailor, Advancement and General Releases
• Banner Patches -three SICAS patches installed to Banner production and test databases
• Recovered CoCo database from backup to recover data lost by accidental deletion by product
• R25 - Setup Oracle 11g Oracle server
• BDMS - New test server setup
• Clean Address - installed new database files
• Offered functional user job submission to Admissions, Alumni and Development
• Worked with Carrier to re-install application for carrier ivu
• Put 3DModel back in operation after HD failure on server
• Setup Curriculum and Instruction storage share
• Working with T2 system on ebusiness web site upgrade
• Worked with vender to update 3DModel of campus
• Setup handheld to work with MobileTMA and TMA room inspection module in Test environment.
• Upgraded Sophos server to version 5
• Testing Sophos version 10 for client computers
• Testing SQL server upgrade for Millenium server.
• Gave a demonstration of the MobileTMA and TMA room inspection modules to Facilities staff
• Reconfigured Bluetooth router at UP.
• Testing Sophos version 10 for CTS computers
Administrative System projects
• Communication of CTS Account Information (Banner, LakerNetID) - LDAP - Modified Banner extract/update programs to include new students that have not yet registered
• DegreeWorks (Registrar's) - Susan Fisk and Andy Michaelis attended two day DGW Technical Training (Syracuse)
• Discussions regarding possible Visiblezen integration (Orientation) with Banner
• Discussions regarding possible integration of Banner Workflow
Provided AV support for the following events
• Speaking of Sheldon
• General Faculty Meeting
• Chris Monger presentation for Artswego Telling Tales series
• Ernst and Young lecture series.
• Installed Symon and digital signage in Tyler lobby.
• Planing for School of Education specialized technology classrooms
• Planning for Science builing technology
• Planning for Rice Creek technology
• Installed CATV remote management transmitters in each campus building and monitoring equipment in Lanigan
• Planning for Summer projects
• Training: Communication Studies, Music, English
• Created fiber signal path from Lanigan studios to WTOP studio in Campus Center
• Provided EZ technical training for Communication Studies faculty
• Reinstall lecture capture monitor in Residence Life office
• Completed Penfield instruction room upgrades and teaching station installation.
• Installed student monitor in Lanign 107 as an accommodation.
• Replaced monitor switching controls in Snygg 106 and 107.
CTS Projects or Support
• Installed LCD in Rich Hall study lounge
• Ordered equipment to fulfill approved SCAP and Academic Equipment Requests
• Reconfigured CC arena sound system after amp and cobranet card failures
• Student Response System evaluation
• Ongoing Lecture Capture pilot
• Labman Conference Planning
• SUNY Technology Conference Planning
• Hewitt Union ballroom sound system testing.
• Installed new projectors in Lanigan 101, 104. 105 and Tyler 216
• Network wiring upgrade Culkin
• Build out of Associate Director of FMO office
• Relocation of office from Culkin to Penfield 3
• Installation of VoIP in WRVO
• 0 Swaps
• 1 Changes
• 199 Disconnects
• 4 Moves
• Generate Monthly Bills
• Training Caroline Currier on monthly billing process
• Additional IP phone conversions in Lanigan and Mahar
• Provided guest access in Cayuga for Schindler elevator repairman
• Configured all newly installed access points in Walker
• Replaced 3 access points in Pathfinder
• Worked on design for additional access points for Riggs/Johnson
• Worked on configuring additional EAP types on wireless network
• Modified RADIUS config to separate out the test controller for testing purposes
• Worked on wireless configuration to allow dynamic assignments via override from RADIUS.
• Wireless issues after campus wide power outage - re-ran audits on all controllers and re-pushed configuration from WCS to WLC's
• Moved 22 access points that were on the wrong controller to the correct controllers and applied the correct templates
• Updated WCS maps with access points that weren't placed in Mahar in WCS as well as inclusion areas in Mahar
• Worked on wireless connectivity for Cius devices, opened TAC case and ended up being an issue with different versions of EAP being negotiated
• Looked through log files to stolen computer reported to us by University Police
• Worked on new OSX 10.7 802.1x wired authentication issues
• Troubleshoot TelePresence camera issues with Metro Center unit, received and replaced internal switching unit
• Bad new UPS unit/battery pack in Pathfinder - waiting for replacement unit
• Network outage on 1st and 2nd floors Swetman. Turned out to be a network closet overheating issue that we had reported to facilities but still wasn't fixed. Heat in room caused UPS to reboot and 2 of the batteries and power module to malfunction.
• Replaced faulty UPS power module and 2 bad batteries in Swetman 204
• Created RADIUS config information for UPS units
• Looked into reported connectivity issues with a new client in Hewitt, modified power and sleep/hibernate settings to resolve issue
• Continued work on updating Intermapper documentation maps
• Installed temp/humidity sensors in Sheldon AE and WW, Pathfinder BDF, Littlepage BDF, Mahar BDF, and 2nd floor closets
• Created FW rule for banner disaster recovery to ITEC and removed old rule
• Created FW rule for LAB based AD authentication after lots of testing
• Created FW rule to update password reset tool
• Created FW rule to allow for virtual lab stats collection
• Created FW rules for replacement Bullwinkle system
• Added vpn-new to Cirrus and started auto-backups
• Worked on WRVO firewall upgrade config conversion and VPN remote access settings
• Worked with Microsoft SDEP on 802.1x in Windows 7 issues, may have figured out what was going on and how to fix
• Installed updated NAC Appliance server licenses on CAM, still not seeing correct amount of licensed users, turned out to be a cosmetic bug and a bug case was filed
• Worked on switch and access point counts for ResHall summer building construction
• Installed virtual machine for virtual lab statistics collection
• Fixed MOH in CUEAC while within a call
• XBOX/PS3/Wii/other registrations: 9
• OSX 10.4 NAC filters: 0
• DMCA take down notifications: 0
• Abuse Notifications: 26
- InfoCom: Developing a Relationship-Centric Innovative Culture-- Hageny
- Getting Started with Ingeniux workshop-- Hageny
- Kaltura webinar-- McQuin
- Degreeworks Meeting with SGHE ,Test work done/Q&A--Sue Fisk
- Kick off and Technical Training for Degreeworks;Determine scope of CTS involvement of project--Sue Fisk
- Ongoing training, Citrix Xendesktop 5 administration, Online-- Aaron Reece
Phone Calls to the Technology Support Center (2/1/12-2/29/12)
Call Logging Statistics - 2/1- 2/29/2012
|Tickets Logged By Time||Number of Tickets|
|8:00 AM - 11:59 AM||392|
|12:00 PM - 4:30 PM||427|
|4:31 PM - 9:00 PM||
|Total Tickets Logged||883|