Taking Steps for the Future
Student Involvement Awards
Awards recognize and reward students and their organizations whose involvement has made SUNY Oswego and the surrounding community a better place to live and learn. Free; parking for those without a campus parking sticker is $1 -- see oswego.edu/administration/parking. 312-5420; email@example.com.
Location: Arena and Convocation Hall, Campus Center
Tuesday, April 22, 4 p.m. - 6 p.m.
Indie concert: Arms & Sleepers, American Royalty and Gianni Paci
Arms & Sleepers is an electronic duo from Boston. American Royalty is a psych-pop trio from Brooklyn. Guitarist Gianni Paci is a recent graduate of New York University and is influenced by Buddy Holly and The Beatles. Performer Magazine recently featured him on its cover. $5 at the door; parking for those without a campus parking sticker is $1 -- see oswego.edu/administration/parking. 312-4581.
Location: Lounge, Hewitt Union
Friday, April 25, 7 p.m. - 10 p.m.
Softball vs. Potsdam
Location: Oswego, NY- Laker Softball Field
Sunday, April 20, 1 p.m. - 3 p.m.
Softball vs. SUNYIT
Location: Oswego, NY- Laker Softball Field
Tuesday, April 22, 3:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
GOLD Third Thursdays
Visit http://www.facebook.com/events/453070221388940 for the latest locations or suggest your own!
Location: Various Cities
Thursday, May 15, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
Reunion Weekend 2014
More information: alumni.oswego.edu/reunion
Location: SUNY Oswego, New York 104, Oswego, NY, United States
Thursday, June 5, noon - noon
TechNews - January 2013
This is a summary of the activities supporting faculty, staff and student technology services at SUNY Oswego that occurred during December 2012.
Reminders - Please make sure that your co-workers know about these
- Routine Service Outage
As part of Campus Technology Services' efforts to keep servers running at optimum levels, a regular maintenance period has been designated. From 6AM to 10AM on the second Sunday of each month, several services such as E-mail, editing of both departmental and personal web pageswill not be available. The next scheduled outage is Sunday, January 13th, 2013.
For information on NYAlert: http://www.oswego.edu/administration/public_affairs/emergency/nyalert.html or
visit http://www.suny.edu/SUNYALERTsec to sign up.
- RAVE Guardian
For information on Rave Guardian http://oswego.edu/student/blogs/?cat=11 or to sign up: https://www.getrave.com/login/oswego
- Patch Wednesdays
CTS now has the capability of updating your campus owned computers for security fixes as well as functionality on a regularly scheduled basis. This may include software updates to programs such as Adobe Reader or Microsoft Word or to change Windows settings to better support your computers. In order to streamline this process we will only perform these updates on Wednesdays. These changes will be implemented only after thorough internal CTS testing. You may possibly notice a slight slowdown in computer performance at that time. Updates are added to a CTS calendar so you may see what changes have occurred to your computer on any given day or that are scheduled to be done.
- Workshops calendar
Look here for a listing of all professional development workshop registrations, calendars and information.
We have sucessfully completed our first TIP grant. A big thank you for our committee, Kelly Roe, Mark Springston, Abby Weirtzma , Brenda Farnham and Paul Taylor, with a big assist from Kris Smith. The details of the proposals are on the TIP web page.
Technology Support Center
Work continues on the implementation of the ServiceNow service management software. We will be replacing the HEAT ticketing system with the more robust, easy to use, ITIL-based ServiceNow product. A number of the staff received training, we had an onsite meeting with our implementation partner and are making good progress in implementing the core requirements. Once completed, we will then be focused on implementing Incident Management for the actual logging of user incidents.
We have been working with International Education in assisting the new Korean students arriving in January. We will be part of the orientation process that will work on configuring their machines for the campus wired and wireless networks. This will be a two-day after business hours event.
We are starting to prepare materials and plan for the Spring ResNet support to assist students having trouble getting on the wired or wireless networks.
Learning Management System
Please check the ANGEL website for dates and times for upcoming workshops.
If you are interested in setting up a community group, please visit the ANGEL web site at www.oswego.edu/academics/angel. Community groups are limited to academic and/or university related activities only.
CTS will be offering approximately 20 technical sessions during the CELT Winter Breakout starting mid-January. We will be offering another round of CyberSecurity Awareness training on Jan. 16. We will have a number of 20-minute short sessions on using particular features of LakerApps Gmail, Calendar and Drive as well as sessions on multimedia, lecture capture, CTS Projects, Elluminate and ANGEL. More information is available from our CTS Workshops Registration page.
There is a new professional development website that includes links to training schedules and registrations for workshops offered by CELT, ORSP, ANGEL, Web Development (Ingeniux) and CTS. Check it out at www.oswego.edu/workshops.
Self-paced, on-demand tutorials are also available from our iTunes U site. Tutorials covering Microsoft Word 2010, Excel 2010, PowerPoint 2010 and LakerApps Sites are currently available.
The Skillport e-learning software is available to all faculty, staff and students. Skillport includes business and technology-related courses (including Office 2010) as well as courses and test preps needed to prepare you for many business and technical certifications. Get started at the Skillport home page.
SUNY Oswego faculty and staff may purchase a copy of either MS Office Professional Plus 2010 (PC version) or Office 2011 (Mac version) for use on their personal computers for $9.95 plus tax. This "Home Use Program" is made available to faculty and staff through the campus purchase of the Microsoft Campus Agreement. Details of how to go about purchasing can be found from the CTS MS Office Home Use Program (HUP) page.
Microsoft offers students a significantly reduced price on its products. For the special pricing and to buy online visit www.theultimatesteal.com.
Campus Technology Services (CTS) would like to inform users that new releases of browsers aren't always fully compatible with some web-based campus services that you need to access. The use of an unsupported browser can result in inconsistent or unpredictable behavior when working in applications. Please check with the TSC before updating.
Have you used the new SUNY Oswego mobile app? Look for the "SUNY Oswego Mobile" app in the appropriate Apple and Google stores to get access to directories, maps, news, events, library, dining hall menus, weather and more. You can also access the mobile site from a mobile device browser. Just go to http://m.oswego.edu.
Campus Technology Services technicians have continued to aid faculty, staff and students in resolving hardware, software, and account related issues. Technicians have assisted in the resolution of 21 hardware, 41 software, and 10 account related support requests.
Our desktop support technicians continue to prepare and deploy new equipment as
it arrives. New equipment has been configured and installed for: Computer Science Department, Co-operative Education Department, Curriculum and Instruction Department, Earth Science Department, Economics Department, Facilities Department, International Education Department, Mathematics Department, and Political Science Department.
Lab Utilization Statistics
The table below displays the number of login sessions that have occurred within the campus open access computer labs over the last month.
|Location||# of Logins
|Campus Center 207||2331|
|Penfield 24 Hour||1233|
- Admissions - continuted to assist with the SOAR project implementation; completed two modification requests
- Alumni and Development - completed three modification requests; continued development of program to track constituent giving given a set timespan; automated the iModules daily data extract in production
- Athletics - completed one program modification request
- Institutional Research - provided student data for file of IDs provided by IR; assisted with the Ethnicity/Race survey; extracted math placement scores for fall 2012 freshmen; completed four program modification requests
- Parking - (AIMS) added 'annual visitor' permit type
- DegreeWorks project - assisted with baseline mods to the audit layout, PDF, logos, and dataloads. Tested OIT and Federation login. Created new ADM role for admissions. Developed a pl/sql wrapper that determines which students may use degreeworks
- BDMS - installs and configuration
- Res Life and Housing
- The Housing Director (THD) -Data Import Manager changed to run for spring 2013; assisted Res Life and Housing with testing for the development of training materials; clarified myOswego returning student room selection directions
- Millenium - consulted with staff regarding residence hall security transition between fall and spring; corrected access issues which occurred at the end of fall
- School of Education - developed a program to assist in the reconcilliation of students in SOE programs and TK20 accounts
- Student Advisement - myOswego New Student Menu redesign discussions; prepared for the addition of the DegreeWorks link in the menu and modified email activation link for those that had already activated their email; researched math placement score load problems
Other Administrative Support
- developed a monthly process to review Banner account logins and report those accounts with no activity in last 90 dayss. The output is reviewed by S. Fisk and M. Pisa. Functional offices will be contacted in regards to employee status.
- student photo POC in preparation for providing student photos via Angel, myOswego, and Banner
- Argos release to 4.1
- Oracle 11.2.03 for TMA Adirondack and R25 databases
- Moving file shares from at-fs2 to at-fs5
- Work on application to add computer to domain, added landesk agent, windows activation and nic power management functionality.
- Moved r25-web-prod to a VM
- Apply GP to CTS computers to change local passwords on computers.
- Moved LS1 VM to new ESXi host.
Provided AV support for the following events
On campus events:
- December Commencement
- College Council
- President's Reception: Syracuse Metro Center
- Schineman Science Building planning
- Rice Creek facility planning
- Park Hall renovation planning including mock-up of webinar room.
- Equipment recommendations: Athletics, Compass
- Equipment maintenance and support: WNYO
- Classroom Training: Biology
- Updated public access CATV
- Installed flat panel: Athletics
- Metro Center preventive maintenance
CTS Projects or Support
- Lecture Capture installations completed Mahar and Campus Cener
- ServiceNow Update and Implementation Planning
- Projection screen replacements in Campus Center
- CATV cabling retermination in Hart Hall
- iClicker Student Response System problem diagnosis
- Advanced Technology Classroom preventive maintenance
- Digital classroom control system upgrades in Mahar
- VoIP phone installations continue
- Relocation of camera Penfield Entrance
- Installations of Security cameras in West Campus Dining Hall Tunnels
- SEI/ SOE Technology Planning/ Field Verifications
- Romney Field House installation of network rack
- Moves Add Changes
- 1 Change
- 56 Disconnects
- 1 Moves
- Monthly Billing
- Infocomm Certified Techonology Specialist completion - Bill Canning
- Infocomm: Innovative Rince and Repeat, Take the Mystique and Fear Out of your Decisions - Bob Hageny
- Extron AV System Design - Bob Hageny
- Mitsubishi Projector Demo - All Instructional Support Staff
- ServiceNow Administration Training - Eric Smith, Nick Ross, Dan Vandermark, Nicole Decker
Phone Calls to the Technology Support Center (12/1/12-12/31/12): 523
Call Logging Statistics - 12/1- 12/31/2012
|Tickets Logged By Time||Number of Tickets|
|8:00 AM - 11:59 AM||190
|12:00 PM - 4:30 PM||139
|4:31 PM - 9:00 PM||
|Total Tickets Logged||344