Taking Steps for the Future
Indie concert: Arms & Sleepers, American Royalty and Gianni Paci
Arms & Sleepers is an electronic duo from Boston. American Royalty is a psych-pop trio from Brooklyn. Guitarist Gianni Paci is a recent graduate of New York University and is influenced by Buddy Holly and The Beatles. Performer Magazine recently featured him on its cover. $5 at the door; parking for those without a campus parking sticker is $1 -- see oswego.edu/administration/parking. 312-4581.
Location: Lounge, Hewitt Union
Friday, April 25, 7 p.m. - 10 p.m.
Theatre performance: "Young Frankenstein"
$15 ($7 for SUNY Oswego students), including parking in front of Culkin Hall and in lot E-18 east of Culkin. 312-2141. www.oswego.edu/arts
Location: Waterman Theatre, Tyler Hall
Friday, April 25, 7:30 p.m. - 9:45 p.m.
Baseball vs. Plattsburgh
Location: Oswego, NY- Laker Baseball Field
Friday, April 25, 3 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Men's Golf Spring Tournament
Location: Oswego, NY - Oswego Country Club
Saturday, April 26, 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.
GOLD Third Thursdays
Visit http://www.facebook.com/events/453070221388940 for the latest locations or suggest your own!
Location: Various Cities
Thursday, May 15, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
Reunion Weekend 2014
More information: alumni.oswego.edu/reunion
Location: SUNY Oswego, New York 104, Oswego, NY, United States
Thursday, June 5, noon - noon
TechNews - February 2013
This is a summary of the activities supporting faculty, staff and student technology services at SUNY Oswego that occurred during January 2013.
Reminders - Please make sure that your co-workers know about these
- Routine Service Outage
As part of Campus Technology Services' efforts to keep servers running at optimum levels, a regular maintenance period has been designated. From 6AM to 10AM on the second Sunday of each month, several services such as E-mail, editing of both departmental and personal web pageswill not be available. The next scheduled outage is Sunday, January 13th, 2013.
For information on NYAlert: http://www.oswego.edu/administration/public_affairs/emergency/nyalert.html or
visit http://www.suny.edu/SUNYALERTsec to sign up.
- RAVE Guardian
For information on Rave Guardian http://oswego.edu/student/blogs/?cat=11 or to sign up: https://www.getrave.com/login/oswego
- Patch Wednesdays
CTS now has the capability of updating your campus owned computers for security fixes as well as functionality on a regularly scheduled basis. This may include software updates to programs such as Adobe Reader or Microsoft Word or to change Windows settings to better support your computers. In order to streamline this process we will only perform these updates on Wednesdays. These changes will be implemented only after thorough internal CTS testing. You may possibly notice a slight slowdown in computer performance at that time. Updates are added to a CTS calendar so you may see what changes have occurred to your computer on any given day or that are scheduled to be done.
- Workshops calendar
Look here for a listing of all professional development workshop registrations, calendars and information.
- CTS News
Make sure to visit our CTS New blog for some of our latest information on updated or new services, future services, technology tips, and more.
- CTS Projects
Check our CTS Projects for brief descriptions of the projects CTS is currently working on.
We have sucessfully completed our first TIP grant. A big thank you for our committee, Kelly Roe, Mark Springston, Abby Weirtzma , Brenda Farnham and Paul Taylor, with a big assist from Kris Smith. The details of the proposals are on the TIP web page.
Technology Support Center
Work continues on the implementation of the ServiceNow service management software. We will be replacing the HEAT ticketing system with the more robust, easy to use, ITIL-based ServiceNow product. A number of the core requirements have been implemented and we are now focused on implementing Incident Management for the actual logging of user incidents.
We held special help sessions for the new Korean students to assist them with configuring their machines and mobile devices for the campus wired and wireless networks. This was a two-day after business hours event. We also gave a brief overview of our services to them during their Orientation.
We assisted students with getting on the wired and wireless networks for the start of the semester. We offered a special overflow service where students could sit with us and work on getting their machines working together. Approximately 55 machines were looked at.
Learning Management System
Please check the ANGEL website for dates and times for upcoming workshops.
If you are interested in setting up a community group, please visit the ANGEL web site at www.oswego.edu/academics/angel. Community groups are limited to academic and/or university related activities only.
Spring workshops are now available for registration. We will have a number of 20-minute short sessions on using particular features of LakerApps Gmail, Calendar and Drive as well as sessions on multimedia, lecture capture, CTS Projects, Elluminate and ANGEL, LakerApps Forms, Spreadsheets and Presentations, MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint. More information is available from our CTS Workshops Registration page.
If you missed the Cyber Security Awareness trainings offered last fall and in January, you may view a recording of it on our CTS Security site.
There is a new professional development website that includes links to training schedules and registrations for workshops offered by CELT, ORSP, ANGEL, Web Development (Ingeniux) and CTS. Check it out at www.oswego.edu/workshops.
Self-paced, on-demand tutorials are also available from our iTunes U site. Tutorials covering Microsoft Word 2010, Excel 2010, PowerPoint 2010 and LakerApps Sites are currently available.
The Skillport e-learning software is available to all faculty, staff and students. Skillport includes business and technology-related courses (including Office 2010) as well as courses and test preps needed to prepare you for many business and technical certifications. Get started at the Skillport home page.
SUNY Oswego faculty and staff may purchase a copy of either MS Office Professional Plus 2010 (PC version) or Office 2011 (Mac version) for use on their personal computers for $9.95 plus tax. This "Home Use Program" is made available to faculty and staff through the campus purchase of the Microsoft Campus Agreement. Details of how to go about purchasing can be found from the CTS MS Office Home Use Program (HUP) page.
Microsoft offers students a significantly reduced price on its products. For the special pricing and to buy online visit www.theultimatesteal.com.
Campus Technology Services (CTS) would like to inform users that new releases of browsers aren't always fully compatible with some web-based campus services that you need to access. The use of an unsupported browser can result in inconsistent or unpredictable behavior when working in applications. Please check with the TSC before updating.
Have you used the new SUNY Oswego mobile app? Look for the "SUNY Oswego Mobile" app in the appropriate Apple and Google stores to get access to directories, maps, news, events, library, dining hall menus, weather and more. You can also access the mobile site from a mobile device browser. Just go to http://m.oswego.edu.
During the month of January, Campus Technology Services technicians have continued to aid faculty, staff and students in resolving hardware, software, and account related issues. Since the beginning of January Campus Technology Services technicians have assisted in the resolution of 40 hardware, 49 software, and 11 account related support requests.
Our desktop support technicians continue to prepare and deploy new equipment as it arrives. During the month of January new equipment has been configured and installed for: Campus Technology Services, CELT Office, Communications Studies Department, Computer Sciences Department, Counseling and Psychological Services Department, Curriculum and Instruction Department, Earth Science Department, Economics Department, Engineering Department, International Education Department, Mathematics Department, Music Department, Philosophy Department, President's Office, Public Justice Department, and RISE Program Co-operative Education.
Lab and ATC Updates
Over the winter break, Campus Technology Services has updated the following computer equipment within labs and Advanced Technology Classrooms throughout the campus.
Residence hall computer labs:
Hart Hall - 6 Windows computers replaced
Oneida Hall - 8 Windows computers replaced
Scales Hall - 8 Windows computers replaced
Academic Computer Labs:
Campus Center 207 - 31 Windows computers replaced
Campus Center 164 - 20 Windows computers replaced
Lanigan 20 - Expanded lab from 10 Macintosh Computers to 20 new iMac computers
Advanced Technology Classrooms:
43 podium computers replaced
20 podium computers re-imaged
Lab Utilization Statistics
The table below displays the number of login sessions that have occurred within the campus open access computer labs over the last month.
|Location||# of Logins
|Campus Center 207||656|
|Penfield 24 Hour||329|
- Admissions - continuted to assist with the SOAR project implementation; completed elevn modification requests
- Alumni and Development - completed two modification requests; developed a program to track constituent giving for a fiscal year; added items to the iModules extract as requested
- Athletics - completed one program modification request
- Financial Aid - assisted in the setup of new aid year rules and procedures
- Institutional Research - developed an Argos program to extract International and Exchange student data; assisted with SIRIS transmissions; completed four program modifications to monitor International and Exchange student data entry
- provided Degreeworks support,; completed development a pl/sql wrapper that determines which students may use degreeworks; assisted in various stylesheet localizations
- modified eight programs as requested
- developed method to provide student id photos in Banner, myOswego, and Angel
- Res Life and Housing
- The Housing Director (THD) -Data Import Manager changed to run for spring 2013; assisted Res Life and Housing with lottery setup;
- Millenium - assisted in spring access loads and dealt with spring access issues
- Conduct Coordinator - updated the report numbering method for 2013; corrected custom attribute error caused by bad data
- School of Education - added detail code balance to TK20 fee extract script
- Student Advisement - myOswego New Student Menu redesign development; corrected math placement score load problems; Visual Zen support
- Walker Health Center - continued working with Medicat to upload student immunization and waiver data from Banner
Other Administrative Support
- Banner Finaid 8.1S1, 8.16S, RESWEB 8.16
- Moving file shares from at-fs2 to at-fs5
- Work on application to add computer to domain, added landesk agent, windows activation and nic power management functionality.
- Moved r25-web-prod to a VM
- Banner Finaid 8.1S1, 8.16S, RESWEB 8.16
- Apply GP to CTS computers to change local passwords on computers.
- Moved LS1 VM to new ESXi host
- Plan for replacement of banner-apps server
- Addressed Banner/Java security issue on Macs
Provided AV support for the following events
On campus events:
- Provost faculty retreat
- General Faculty meeting
- Auxiliary Services Employee Breakfast.
- Installed iClicker base stations in 203 Mahar, 232 CC, 130 Snygg and 103 and 107 Lanigan
- Upgraded six ATCs to wide screen standard in Campus Center
- Supervised installation of CATV hardline in SEI
- Upgraded digital signage design software for all users
- Planning for new ADA requirements for assisted listening
- Park Hall, SEI and Rice Creek planning
- Upgraded Lanigan 20 to digital standard
- Installed audio equipment in Laker Hall pool
- Conducted A/V systems orientations - Psychology, Modern Languages, Journalism, History and Accounting
- Installed A/V infrastructure in Mahar 467 lounge/conference room
- Repaired projection screen and replaced DVD player at Metro Center
- Restored CATV signal to Penfield basement
- Consulted with Technology Education department regarding contest rules and video formats
- Expanded digital signage to the Compass
- Corected and reinstalled laser trasmitter problems in Laker Hall for WTOP
CTS Projects or Support
- Expanded lecture capture infrastructure and equipment Mahar 111 and 203, Campus Center 306 and 323, Sheldon 336
- Upgraded document camera and replace projector in 306 Campus Center
- Set up and evaluated MX300 video conference unit in Lanigan 37c
- Reviewed designs for new auditorium in Park and SEI
- Planning for Syracuse Metro Center and Phoenix current and future needs.
- Provided preventive maintenance on A/V equipment in all ATC classrooms
- Built mockup of A/V specialty system for Park Hall methods lab
- Explored sending digital signage signals using Rf equipment as cost saving measure
- VoIP phone installations continue
- Relocation of camera Penfield Entrance
- Installations of Security cameras in West Campus Dining Hall Tunnels
- SEI/ SOE Technology Planning/ Field Verifications
- Romney Field House installation of network rack
- Moves Add Changes
- 1 Change
- 56 Disconnects
- 1 Moves
- Monthly Billing
- Infocomm Certified Techonology Specialist completion - Bill Canning
- Infocomm: Innovative Rince and Repeat, Take the Mystique and Fear Out of your Decisions - Bob Hageny
- Extron AV System Design - Bob Hageny
- Mitsubishi and Hitachi projector evaluation and demonstration - All Instructional Support Staff
- ServiceNow Administration Training - Eric Smith, Nick Ross, Dan Vandermark, Nicole Decker
- SEFA Building Representative of the Year (2012) - Bob Hageny
- New Programmer/Analyst for Administrative Technologies/Development and Alumni Relations - Suzanne Maniccia
- New Programmer/Analyst for Administrative Technologies - Margaret Prisco
Phone Calls to the Technology Support Center (1/1/13-1/31/13): 1108
Call Logging Statistics - 1/1- 1/31/2013
|Tickets Logged By Time||Number of Tickets|
|8:00 AM - 11:59 AM||364
|12:00 PM - 4:30 PM||393
|4:31 PM - 9:00 PM||
|Total Tickets Logged||823