Campus Technology Advisory Board

CTAB Minutes
Friday, October 9, 2009
114 Campus Center

Attendance:  Larry Fuller, John Kane, Devin Kerr, Jane Winslow, Dan Wood, Xiaoquin Irminger, Scott Steiger, Steve Dimarzo, Kimberly McGann, Michel Hamer, Dan Griffin, Joe Moreau, Mike Pisa, Dave McQuin, Paul Taylor, Nicole Decker, Tyrone Johnson-Neuland, John Moore, Michael Regan, Natalie Sturr, Jean Dufore, Becky Truax, Pat MacNeill, Rick Buck, Greg Fuller, Eric Smith, Marcia Burrell, John LaLande 

Approval of Agenda: Agenda approved. 

Approval of minutes from September 25, 2009 meeting:  Accepted.


Open Session - - Questions and Concerns:

Larry Fuller commented about the request for help and support and has received emails back that his requests and/or needs have been addressed.  Some however he has not received anything back. 

Joe commented about whether the Heat system can send out a message that a ticket has been taken care of and asked the question of Eric Smith.  At this time the currently is not configured this way, but it can be.

Larry Fuller commented about the telephone system and wanting to have a live person during business hours and concerns of calls being connected wrong.  The Name Connector is good for non-business hours.

Joe commented the data from the Name Connect system indicates people are connected within seven to eighteen seconds of the request.  There is data showing when calls are not connected.  These incomplete connections are looked into and corrected.  Reprogramming can be done for departments to reflect different ways it maybe requested.  If you experience being connected incorrectly say "cancel".  Also as a note CTS has had reductions in staffing for the computer operators and telephone operators.  Telephone operators are being cross trained with other aspects of CTS such as faculty test scoring.

ITC meeting commented that CTS email name change has been very good. A lot of positive feed back.


Updates and Announcements: 

Joe Moreau commented about Strategic Planning and the need to form ad hoc Committee.  If this committee proves to be a positive impact it maybe necessary to amend the by laws at the end of the year.

A starting point for the committee would be to develop a mission and vision as well as a needs assessment.  Joe has some samples that he could share with those that are willing to serve on this committee.

Would like to see both items completed at the end of the fall semester and have the committee report back at the March CTAB meeting.



ITC has selected its two members and CTAB selected theirs at the last meeting.

There is $140k in SCAP funds for this year.

Since time is short the process for SCAP will not be sped up.  We will stick to the normal time table as done in the past.  However, would like to move things along at a quicker pace next year.

The proposal deadline is November 20, 2009.

System guidelines are on the website

Campus guidelines will be available soon.

Joe will contact Darlene Abrantes and Kris Smith to get word out the academic departments.

Some people come to SCAP for replacement of equipment.  Joe commented that there are other areas that can cover this and that SCAP should be used for innovative initiatives.



Meeting was held on October 7, 2007.

Natalie briefly reviewed the meeting minutes entirely.  A/E minutes will be posted on the CTAB webpage.

One topic of discussion was the Microsoft Suite and Google.

Next meeting will be November 4, 2009 at 8:00 am in Poucher.



Meeting was held on October 2, 2009.

Discussion about WBO doing one day of just 20 minute sessions, please get some ideas to the group on what you would like to see offered.

Text book ordering there is a new process that is going to be used.  Info coming out soon.

What to do in the event of a pandemic, how can faculty get their classes online.

Workshops being offered for ITunes U

Need to have earlier training and access for new faculty.

Privacy policy here on campus is an issue that is being looked into.



No report from Dave.

Joe commented that we are only missing six members from CTAB to have a complete roster.  He has asked Dave to work on that.

Joe also commented that we are missing the Personnel Committee for this year.  There is not much for this group to report on and the Executive Committee will discuss at their next meeting.


ITC - Mark Springston

Natalie Sturr reported for Mark as he is unable to do so for this semester because of class schedule.

Faculty/Staff email change has been positive.

The proposed student email change has been put on hold until a new email system has been implemented.

Microsoft and Google being looked at.


Wireless Conversion - This needs to be a secure connection, not just an open connection.  When setting up for the first time it will take 10-20 minutes.  Be prepared to take the time, once done it will not need to be done again.  The conversion provides new security tech to replace the VPN on the wireless network. Mac computers configure very quickly and easily.  Windows computers are bit more difficult and may require some assistance from the help desk. Marcia commented to everyone to read the TechNews that comes out once a month.  There is a lot of good info shared.  Final FAQ's are being developed. The conversion is tentatively Scheduled for October 18th and is subject to change; will run an ad and a story in the Oswegonian as well as info on the webpage.

CTS has begun a signification capital project with Res Life and Housing and the Dorm Authority.  The residence hall infrastructure needs to be rehabbed.  Cable TV and other technology will be upgraded and will need to have a 25 year life expectancy.  In February will have the engineers do a presentation.  This project will begin 2011 and should be completed by 2013.


Presentation of Microsoft Suite

Group will comment about at next meeting.

Next meeting will be November 13, 2009 from 8:00-9:30 in 114 Campus Center