Microsoft Office 2016 replaces both Microsoft Office 2013 for Windows and Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac OS. Faculty and staff who would like to upgrade to Microsoft Office 2016 on their SUNY-owned computer may do so provided system requirements are met.
Office 2016 for Windows
Please note Office 2016 is the standalone version of Office. The standalone version is an enterprise version that is a one-time install. It differs from the subscription based Office 365 available for home use.
There are not a lot of interface changes from Office 2013 to Office 2016. The main changes seem to be in the area of collaboration. If you use Microsoft’s OneDrive storage, you may now share and edit files in real-time with others. Computerworld’s “Review: In Office 2016 for Windows, collaboration takes center stage” provides more specific information.
Office applications available for the PC include Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access, Publisher, and OneNote.
Office 2016 for Mac
The biggest change in Office 2016 from 2011 is the replacement of the menus with Microsoft’s ribbon interface. This now makes the versions for both Windows and Mac OS consistent. In addition, integration with OneDrive is available for storage.
Computerworld’s “Review: Office 2016 for Mac offers a new interface and better features” gives a nice summary of the changes and added features.
Office applications available for the Mac include Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
How do I upgrade?
If you are interested in upgrading, please follow these steps:
Verify that your system meets the requirements:
– For Windows: please check the “Office Standard 2016 and Office Professional Plus 2016” section of Microsoft’s system requirements.
– For Mac: please check the “Office Home & Student 2016 for Mac and Office Home & Business 2016 for Mac” portion of Microsoft’s system requirements. Please note: Mac OS 10.10 (Yosemite) is required.
For PC Users:
– Please follow the instructions in our “How to: Install Office 2016 on SUNY-owned PCs” article. It will walk you through how to easily uninstall any existing versions of MS Office and then install Office 2016.
For Mac Users:
– Please note that Office 2016 is independent of any other Office versions you may already have installed. Therefore, you do not need to uninstall any previous versions.
– Download the Office 2016 installer from Microsoft’s website.
– Install the application. This will put it into a trial version.
Call the Help Desk, 315.312.3456, to serialize the install. This will take Office 2016 out of trial mode into a fully licensed install.
If you have any questions or need assistance at any point in the installs, please call (315.312.3456) or email the Help Desk.
Please note Office 2016 was updated in all of the computer labs and classroom computers for the fall 2015 semester.
For those wishing to formally learn more about using Office 2016, Microsoft has trainings for various programs at their online Office Training Center. In addition, “Office 2016 for Educators” is a course available on the campus lynda.com subscription.
Office 365 is available for use on up to (5) of your personal devices at no charge. Please see our related article, “Get Office 365 for Free,” on how to get started.