Google previously announced they would be replacing Google Talk, Google+ Hangouts and Google+ Messenger (formerly Huddle) with a new Google Hangouts.
We are happy to announce the new Google Hangouts is available for our LakerApps Google domain effective March 4.
What is Google Hangouts?
Google Hangouts is a new way to communicate and collaborate. Hangouts helps you stay connected no matter where you are or what device you’re using. You can send and receive messages, make video calls, and share your screen from the Hangouts app on your computer, mobile phone, or tablet.
In addition, your Hangouts are synced automatically, so you can start a Hangout on one device and continue it on another.
How can I access Hangouts?
You can use Hangouts from any of the following:
Opting-in from Google Talk
Hangouts may not automatically show for you in Gmail/Calendar in which case you will need to manually opt-in:
- Login to LakerApps mail: oswego.edu/mail
- Identify the chat area of Gmail. In most cases this will be on the left side of the screen. If you DO NOT see the Hangouts symbol, , at the bottom of the chat area, you will need to continue with steps 3-5. If you DO see the Hangouts symbol, you can skip steps 3-5.
- Click your profile photo at the top of your Chat list.
- Click “Try the new Hangouts.”
- You should now see the Hangouts icon at the bottom of your chat area. If not, try reloading the page or logging out of LakerApps and back in again.
How do I use Hangouts chat and video?
- Open your LakerApps mail at www.oswego.edu/mail.
- Identify the chat area in Gmail (in most cases this will be on the left side of the window) and click on the Hangouts icon.
- Select a person from the Hangouts list. Or click the search button and type a name or email address. When you find the person you want, click their name.
- A new window will open similar to the following:
- To use Hangouts chat, just start typing in the white space at the bottom of the window.
- To use Hangouts video, click the icon.
- To start a Group Hangout, click the icon and type the names of people with whom you’d like to have a group video call. You may include up to 15 people in a group hangout.
- [Optional] Download the Chrome extension to chat on your desktop.
- [Optional] Download the app for Android or iOS if you’d like to access Hangouts on your mobile device or tablet.
Visit Start a video call for more information.
Where can I get more information?
The Center for Excellence in Learning and Technology (CELT) and CTS will be holding a workshop on how to use Hangouts and cover use cases for it. That will be available on Wednesday, March 11 from 12:40pm – 1:45pm in 123 Penfield Library. No registration required. More info…
For more Google documentation on Hangouts, visit the Google Apps Learning Center.
For any questions or help using Google Hangouts, please contact the Help Desk, 315.312.3456, email@example.com, 26 Lanigan Hall.