Need to buy a computer and save some cash? All SUNY Oswego employees and students can receive discounts on certain Dell and Apple laptops, desktops, printers and software. Go take a look at http://www.oswego.edu/discounts for more information.
By the start of the Fall 2012 semester, students living in Seneca, Oneida, Sheldon, Scales, Waterbury, Lonis, Mackin, and Moreland Halls will be able to use the campus wireless network from their individual residence rooms as well as lounge/common gathering areas.
CTS has been doing a tremendous amount of preparatory work to complete wireless availability to all campus residence halls. Work started in 2011 for Seneca, Oneida and Sheldon as rooms in these buildings will be receiving new data and cable TV wiring. New data closets and electrical circuits will be installed to accommodate this as well as proper heating, cooling and ventilation. This Spring semester, work started in the other buildings where cable pathways are being installed to accommodate the new access points.
Across all 8 buildings, approximately 650 access points and 115 new network switches will be installed. All network closets in the buildings will also be receiving new battery backup. All access points will be able to monitored and administered remotely by CTS Networking staff with the addition of 5 new controllers.
Funnelle Hall will be worked on over the summer, however wireless service may not be available for use until sometime during the Fall 2012 semester.
Onondaga will be the final building to receive wireless service. Preparatory work will be done over the 2012-2013 academic year with installation of access points to occur in the summer 2013. It is expected that students will be able to use the service by the start of the Fall 2013 semester.
As you prepare for finals and the end of the semester, CTS would like to remind you of a few things:
- If you need to use a computer lab late at night to complete final course work, there are computers available 24 hours in the Penfield Library 24 hour room. Printing is also available at this location.
- Make sure you have enough pages in your print quota to finish your course work. You can check your print quota balance at the CTS Account Tools web page. Just login and click on “Check your print quota.” If you are running low or have already ran out and still need to print, more print pages can be purchased in $5.00 allotments from the Telecommunications office in 105 Culkin Hall.
- If you are living in the residence halls, CTS requests that you place your ResNet hub, power supply, and network cable in a plastic bag available from the front desk of your building before moving out. Please hang the bag on a coat hook in your room near the door. If these items are not left in your room, you may be charged for them.
CTS wishes you a successful end to your semester and a safe and warm summer! For those that are graduating, we wish you well on your new journeys!
Blackboard announced in late March that ANGEL would be extended as a product “indefinitely”. This announcement, while lacking in many details, impacts our planned migration to Blackboard originally slated to begin in 2013.
We anticipate that further details regarding ongoing ANGEL support and any potential enhancements will emerge after the Blackboard World user conference in mid-July. We also anticipate that the SUNY Learning Network (SLN) will be communicating with Blackboard regarding this announcement, and that SLN will provide further details on ongoing support at the SUNY CIT conference in early June.
Based on the initial information in hand, we will delay our migration to Blackboard until we know more details. We will continue to remain on ANGEL through the 2013-2014 academic year.
We are still on course to upgrade to ANGEL version 8 late summer (see “ANGEL Upgrading to Version 8”).
If you have any questions related to this announcement, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
SLN will be upgrading SUNY Oswego’s ANGEL instance to version 8 on August 20-21st. ANGEL will not be available during this time frame. Please plan accordingly.
One of the biggest advantages for upgrading to version 8 is compatibility with Apple’s Safari and Google’s Chrome browsers. There are also enhancements to dropboxes, discussion forum rubrics, the gradebook and more.
For detailed information on all of the new features and enhancements, please see Blackboard’s “What’s New in ANGEL 8.0” document.
CTS and Penfield Library have teamed together to provide a Multimedia Production Room, which is located in room 210 across from the Periodicals/Media Desk in the Penfield Library. This room can be used by faculty, staff and students to create multimedia projects using audio and video. It is equipped with the following:
- A PC and Macintosh desktop computer with 24 inch monitors
- A Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 video camera for the PC and a built-in camera for the Mac.
- A Plantronics Audio DSP-400 Headsetwith noise cancelling microphone for both systems
- Your choice of the following recording software available on both systems:
Staff from Penfield and CTS are available to assist you should you need an orientation to the room or assistance using any of the hardware or software. For more information, please visit the Multimedia Site.
CTS is working on scheduling summer workshops. We plan on offering workshops on Windows 7, Elluminate Web-Conferencing Software, LakerApps and more. Please check the workshop schedule as summer approaches for offerings.
In addition to instructor-led workshops, feel free to check out our self-paced, on-demand tutorials available from our iTunesU site. Tutorials covering Microsoft Word 2010, Excel 2010, PowerPoint 2010 and LakerApps Sites are currently available.
Other technical training opportunities:
- ANGEL workshops are available from the ANGEL website.
- Updating your department web site with Ingeniux workshops are available at the Ingeniux Training site.
- The Skillport e-learning software is available to all students, faculty, and staff. Skillport includes business and technology-related courses (including Office 2010) as well as courses and test preps needed to prepare you for many business and technical certifications. Get started at the Skillport home page.
Have some important events on your LakerApps Calendar that you wished stood out from the rest? Give it a special color.
While viewing the details of an event, click a color in the “Event Color” section. A small palette of colors is available. Save the event. When you view your calendar, especially in “Day” or “Week” view, you’ll see your event stands out from the rest.