Self-proclaimed "eco-stylist" Danny Seo helped give a green start to the academic year with a presentation to students, faculty and others Aug. 25 in the Campus Center.
The book author, magazine contributor, television personality and entrepreneur gave plenty of tips for green living as part of programming in support of this year's Oswego Reading Intiative. Field Notes from a Catastrophe: Man, Nature and Climate Change by Elizabeth Kolbert is this year's ORI selection.
Born on Earth Day 1977, Seo founded an environmental group, Earth 2000, at age 12. That group went on to become one of the largest teen activist groups in the U.S.
Seo, who is a partner in J.C. Penney's "Simply Green" campaign, told the crowd of more than 1,000 that the current green movement is more than a trend or passing fad.
"Things that are trendy are things that are in one moment and dead the next," Seo said. "To me, green is a cultural shift."
Here are some of Seo's tips for living "simply green":
1) Use newspapers to absorb shoe wetness and odor.
2) Freeze pillows and bedding to kill allergens and extend their useful life.
3) Styrofoam packing peanuts can be used to make a beanbag chair instead of thrown away.
4) Use an ultraviolet light instead of harsh cleansers to sanitize the home and office.
5) Microfiber towels pack a lot of cleaning power using only water.
6) Use a surge protector to completely cut off power to appliances you aren't using.
7) A water bottle with a charcoal filter cap can save more than 200 disposable plastic bottles in a year.
8) Try "bug light" compact fluorescent bulbs indoors. They have a softer hue for those who dislike the glow of standard CFB's.
9) Use the ribbon from obsolete video cassettes to garnish your gifts.
-- Shane M. Liebler
Danny Seo gives green tips to a crowd at the Campus Center
Back To September E-Newsletter - Next Article: Roster Moves - Previous Article: Laker Pride
Oswego Alumni Association, Inc.
King Alumni Hall • SUNY Oswego • Oswego, NY 13126
315-312-2258 • 315-312-5570 (fax)
Web site: www.oswego.edu/alumni