Hall of Fame
State Athletic Hall of Fame induction ceremony was held Oct. 24.
The Oswego Alumni Association will welcome six former players to the hall
during a luncheon in the Sheldon Hall ballroom. The baseball, basketball, men’s
and women’s soccer, wrestling and men’s lacrosse programs will all be
represented at this year’s event.
“Obviously, our sports programs wouldn’t be what they are
today without the incredible contributions of our alumni athletes,” said Betsy
Oberst, associate vice president for alumni relations and stewardship. “Our
Lakers are such a big part of the Oswego
legacy the alumni association is here to preserve and promote.”
This year's inductees:
* John Canale’47, M’50 was a three-sport athlete at Oswego,
earning distinction in baseball, basketball and soccer as a player/manager.
* Former baseball MVP John Wynne ’66
was inducted into the Oswego Baseball Hall of Fame in 1986. The two-time
all-conference pitcher set school records in wins and overall record during his
* Former wrestler Ralph Pizzo ’71 was an NCAA Division II All-American in 1970, the same year he was named
SUNY Athletic Conference champion in his weight class.
* Greg Peel ’94 was named an NCAA All-American in 1994, the second lacrosse player in Oswego history to earn
the honor. He played defense on the first Laker lacrosse team to earn a
national ranking and was captain on the first league championship team.
* Dan Bartlett ’96 was captain of the 1996 Laker lacrosse team that posted a program-best
12-3 record and won the Eastern College Athletic Conference Championship. The
1995 Empire Lacrosse League Player of the Year later served as a Laker
* One-time women’s soccer career points and goals leader Melisa “Missy” Verdoliva ’99 was a four-year All-SUNYAC first team
selection as a Laker. She is currently second all-time points and goals leader.
for the luncheon are required by Oct. 16.
-- Shane M. Liebler
From left, Jeannine Muoio Salamone '92, Joseph Bena '64, Ernest Luongo, Frank Lisco '65 and Kimberly Pace '97 pose with their Athletic Hall of Fame induction plaques in 2008. This year's HOF ceremony is Oct. 24.
Back To October E-Newsletter - Next
Article: New Lineup - Previous Article: Accounting Accomplishments
Oswego Alumni Association, Inc.
King Alumni Hall • SUNY Oswego • Oswego, NY 13126
315-312-2258 • 315-312-5570 (fax)
Web site: www.oswego.edu/alumni