Campaign Video Now Showing on Web
When Inspiring Horizons: The Campaign for Oswego exceeded its goal thanks to the generosity of more than 22,000 donors, it made more than Oswego history. By boosting Oswego's endowment, supporting the annual fund and advancing capital projects, it created transformative experiences for students. Some of those experiences are featured in "Inspiring Stories: The Impact of Philanthropy," a video chronicling some results of the campaign.
Honorary Campaign Chair Al Roker '76 introduces the video, in which viewers will hear from:
- Mike Kiley '09, who along with Professors Kestutis Bendinskas and Webe Kadima, is researching an African plant that may hold the key to defeating diabetes under a donor-funded Student-Faculty Collaborative Challenge Grant.
- Ashley Rath '07, who traveled to Japan on a life-changing study-abroad trip.
- Tim Lanigan '10, whose donor-supported Presidential Scholarship brought him to Oswego, where he is mastering many genres and forms of music.
- Alice Massimi '02, who with other alumni, faculty, staff and community members, raised funds to create a memorial garden to honor Oswego alumni lost in the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.
- Ron Williams '08 and Tom Simmonds '84 M '88, who share how the new Campus Center, which includes donor-named spaces, is transforming the campus culture.
The video also includes special messages from President Deborah F. Stanley and campaign co-chairs Bernie Henderson, a retired college vice president; Hal Morse '61; and Mae Squier-Dow '83.
"The campaign's impact is significant. Through the generosity of our donors we have strategically advanced our academic goals, expanded undergraduate and graduate student support, and enhanced our competitiveness in research and education," said President Deborah F. Stanley. "As a result of the campaign, we have strengthened the foundations of Oswego and we have positioned SUNY Oswego to better serve the needs of a new generation of students.
"The compelling vision of a more powerful future for SUNY Oswego has united alumni, faculty, staff, students and the community from the start of the campaign and created a culture of giving and a new optimism on campus that ensures our continued drive for unparalleled excellence for generations to come," she said.
Roker added his thanks: "The forecast for SUNY Oswego features excellence, quality and distinction, thanks to the success of Inspiring Horizons: The Campaign for Oswego! As honorary chair, I want to personally thank and congratulate everyone involved in raising $23,857,114 in this historic first campaign, including President Stanley, our chairs and volunteers, the college faculty and staff, and more than 22,000 of our loyal supporters," Roker said. "As an alumnus of SUNY Oswego, I couldn't be prouder of my alma mater for this tremendous accomplishment."
Inspiring Horizons: The Campaign for Oswego began in 2002. The campaign met its first goal of $17 million in October 2006. An enhanced goal of $23 million was then set. As of June 30, the campaign had officially exceeded that goal by more than $800,000.
-- Michele Reed
Back To February E-Newsletter - Next Article: Green Gratitude - Previous Article: First Love
Oswego Alumni Association, Inc.
King Alumni Hall • SUNY Oswego • Oswego, NY 13126
315-312-2258 • 315-312-5570 (fax)
Web site: www.oswego.edu/alumni