The Oswego Alumni Association will induct six Laker greats into the Oswego State Athletic Hall of Fame this fall.
The soccer, baseball, basketball, wrestling and lacrosse programs will all be represented at a ceremony Oct. 24 in the Sheldon Hall Ballroom.
The Alumni Association established the Hall of Fame in 2001 to honor players and coaches who made outstanding contributions to Oswego State athletics.
This year's inductees:
* John Canale '47, M '50 was a three-sport star at Oswego, earning distinction in baseball, basketball and soccer as a player/manager.
* Former baseball MVP John Wynne '66 was inducted into the Oswego Baseball Hall of Fame in 1986. The two-time all-conference pitcher set school records in wins and overall record during his Laker career.
* Former wrestler Ralph Pizzo '71 was an NCAA Division II All American in 1970, the same year he was named SUNYAC champion in his weight class.
* Greg Peel '94 was named an NCAA All American in 1994, the second lacrosse player in Oswego history to earn the honor. He played defense on the first Laker lacrosse team to earn a national ranking and was captain on the first league championship team.
* Dan Bartlett '96 was captain of the 1996 Laker lacrosse team that posted a program-best 12-3 record and won the Eastern College Athletic Conference Championship. The former Laker assistant coach was named the 1995 Empire Lacrosse League Player of the Year.
* One-time women's soccer career points and goals leader Melisa "Missy" Verdoliva '99 was a four-year All-SUNYAC first team selection as a Laker. She is currently second all-time points and goals leader.
Reservations are required for the Oct. 24 Hall of Fame Inductions Luncheon. Please check our Web site for more information.
-- Shane M. Liebler
Back To August E-Newsletter - Next Article: On a Roll - Previous Article: Presidential Medals
Oswego Alumni Association, Inc.
King Alumni Hall • SUNY Oswego • Oswego, NY 13126
315-312-2258 • 315-312-5570 (fax)
Web site: www.oswego.edu/alumni