Who Pays Student Employees?

Student employees may be paid from either the Federal Work Study Program (FWS) or from departmental funds (Student Assistant). What fund they are paid from is based on the student's personal eligibility for Federal Work Study, whether or not a department has been approved to hire Federal Work Study students and the department's funds available in their budget.

            Some facts about the Federal Work Study Program

  • There is not enough Federal Work Study money to fund all student employees.  This is a very limited program and only accounts for about 20% of the student wages on campus
  • Students are awarded Federal Work Study based on information they provided on their financial aid application
  • Federal Work Study funding goes to the neediest students who applied for financial aid prior to March 1
  • We try to allocate Federal Work Study positions on campus to allow all areas of the campus to benefit from this federal  program