Student Employment Information

Student Help and Resources

This page is designed to help you find a job on campus.  As a student employee on campus, you are very important to the campus and the department where you are employed.  Statistics show that students who work on campus are more likeley to complete college and receive better grades.  We hope this is true for you and look forward to helping you be successful both in your employment and in the classroom.

This page includes information on finding a job, payroll policies, procedures and forms.

Finding a Job On Campus

  • JobPlanner ( List is being updated for the 2015-2016 school year. List will be reposted in July. ) provides a quick list of student employment positions on campus, that we believe to be open and/or accepting applications.  See the Job List below for  complete job descriptions and contact information for these positions.
  • Jobs on campus (List is being updated for the 2015-2016 school year. List will be reposted in July. )  
  • Contact the Department using the contact information provided
  • If you are eligible for Federal Work Study (FWS), you must accept your award, attend a FWS information session and receive your FWS Authorization
  • You will meet with the departmental supervisor for the department where you are interested in working.  If you are selected, the supervisor will complete and sign your FWS Authorization.
  • Return your FWS Authorization to the Student Employment Office
  • Departments are under no obligation to hire you and you are under no obligation to take a position you are offered.

Who Pays Student Employees
Student employees may be paid from the Federal Work Study Program (FWS) or from the departmental funds. Many students  are also employed by Auxiliary Services. What fund they are paid from is based on the student's personal eligibility for federal work study, whether or not the department has been approved to hire federal work study students and the department's funds from their budget.

Facts about the Federal Work Study Program:

  • There are not enough federal work study funds to fund all student employees.  This is a very limited program and only accounts for about 20% of the student wages on campus.
  • Students are awarded federal work study based on information they provided on their financial aid application (FAFSA).
  • Federal Work Study funding goes to the neediest students who completed the FAFSA prior to March 1.
  • We try to allocate federal work study positions on campus to allow all areas of the campus to benefit from this federal program.

Federal Work Study Program

      Am I eligible for the Federal Work Study Program (FWS)?

If you aren't sure if you have a Federal Work Study award, go to MyOswego, select the Financial Aid tab and click on My Award Information.  Check for a Federal Work Study award.

     If I am not eligible for Federal Work Study, can I still get a job on campus?

Absolutely. Most student employees are not eligible for Federal Work Study. For more information, read about who pays student employees.

Timesheets, FWS Authorization, Pay Rates, etc.:

       Differences between Federal Work Study (FWS) and non-Federal Work Study student employment

  • Federal Work Study student employees require an Authorization from the Student Employment Office
  • Federal Work Study students have a maximum amount they can earn during the academic year.  Typically, this works out to be about 4-10 hours per week.  This amount will be on the FWS Authorization each student receives.
  • FWS employees should not begin working until the FWS Authorization is completed and returned to the Student Employment Office. PLEASE NOTE: FWS employees will not be paid until the Authorization is complete
  • FWS payroll is processed by the Student Employment Office
  • FWS employees complete the FWS Timesheet
  • Student Assistant payroll is processed by the Payroll Office

    FWS Authorization

     This document is given to a FWS employee once they have completed all necessary payroll paperwork and are eligible to be interviewed by appropriate departments on campus

    Federal Work Study Timesheet
  • FWS Timesheets must be completed biweekly (every 2 weeks).
  • All timesheets must include the student's name and student ID number. It is preferred that the information be printed or typed.
  • Time worked should be completed as instructed on the reverse side of the timesheet.
  • Students may not work more than 20 hours per week while classes are in session.
  • Timesheets must be completed in blue or black ink.
  • All completed timesheets must be signed and dated by both the student employee and their supervisor
             - Students may not sign another student's timesheet as a supervisor
             - The supervisor is resonsible for verifying that the timesheet is complete and accurate, including hours actually worked.         
             - If a timesheet is received late, the student's paycheck will be delayed.  Late timesheets are processed with the next  
               payroll, 2 weeks later.  The student's pay will be delayed until then.  Since most stuents have limited resources, a late  
               timesheet/paycheck can be a hardship.
  • Completed timesheets are returned to the Student Employment Office in a sealed envelope, signed by the Supervisor over the sealed flap. 

    Non-Federal Work Study Timesheets

    Contact the Payroll Office, 409 Culkin Hall for forms and instructions 

    Payroll Calendar 

    Federal Work Study employees may be terminated from their jobs when they:
        - have earned their full award
        - withdraw from school
        - receive additional financial aid
        - at the end of the school year/term during which they are enrolled
        - upon request from the departmental supervisor
    Student Paychecks

    Paydates are biweekly (alternate Thursdays) and are listed on the Payroll Calendar.  Students may pick up their paychecks in the Student Accounts Office (408 Culkin) or have them direct deposited to an account of their choice. 

    Pay Rates 

    Federal Work Study

    Students begin employment at the current federal or state minimum wage, whichever is higher.  Our current starting hourly rate is $8.00 

    Non-Federal Work Study

    Raises are given at the discretion of the department.