Indie concert: Arms & Sleepers, American Royalty and Gianni Paci
Arms & Sleepers is an electronic duo from Boston. American Royalty is a psych-pop trio from Brooklyn. Guitarist Gianni Paci is a recent graduate of New York University and is influenced by Buddy Holly and The Beatles. Performer Magazine recently featured him on its cover. $5 at the door; parking for those without a campus parking sticker is $1 -- see oswego.edu/administration/parking. 312-4581.
Location: Lounge, Hewitt Union
Friday, April 25, 7 p.m. - 10 p.m.
Theatre performance: "Young Frankenstein"
$15 ($7 for SUNY Oswego students), including parking in front of Culkin Hall and in lot E-18 east of Culkin. 312-2141. www.oswego.edu/arts
Location: Waterman Theatre, Tyler Hall
Friday, April 25, 7:30 p.m. - 9:45 p.m.
Baseball vs. Plattsburgh
Location: Oswego, NY- Laker Baseball Field
Friday, April 25, 3 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Men's Golf Spring Tournament
Location: Oswego, NY - Oswego Country Club
Saturday, April 26, 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.
GOLD Third Thursdays
Visit http://www.facebook.com/events/453070221388940 for the latest locations or suggest your own!
Location: Various Cities
Thursday, May 15, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
Reunion Weekend 2014
More information: alumni.oswego.edu/reunion
Location: SUNY Oswego, New York 104, Oswego, NY, United States
Thursday, June 5, noon - noon
NYS University Police at Oswego Self Defense Education
Could you Effectively Defend Yourself If Attacked?
- 1 out of every 4 college women polled was sexually assaulted during four years at college. (Ms. Magazine Study on Sexual Assault and Rape)
- Between 1973 and 1987, (14 years), over 2.3 million women reported sexual assaults in the United States. 71% of these victims avoided being raped by taking self-protective measures. (United States Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics)
Develop Your Options
- In 1988, rape victims took self-protective measures in 86.7 % of the cases. "Rape victims were more likely to defend themselves than assault or robbery victims." (Criminal Victimization in the United States, 1988)
Don't Be Victimized By Fear.
- "In fact, the most often used strategy for avoiders (of rape) appears to have been a combination of screaming and use of physical resistance." (Bart, P. & O'Brien, P. (1985). Stopping Rape: Successful Survival Strategies. Pergamon Press, New York.)
What is the R.A.D. System?
The Rape Aggression Defense System is a program of realistic, self-defense tactics and techniques. The RAD System is a comprehensive course for women that begins with awareness, prevention, risk reduction and avoidance, while progressing on to the basics of hands-on defense training. RAD is not a Martial Arts program. Our courses are taught by certified RAD Instructors and provide you with a workbook/ reference manual. This manual outlines the entire Physical Defense Program for reference and continuous personal growth. The RAD System of Physical Defense is currently being taught at many Colleges and Universities. The growing, wide spread acceptance of this system is primarily due to the ease, simplicity and effectiveness of our tactics, solid research, legal defensibility and unique teaching methodology. The Rape Aggression Defense System is dedicated to teaching women defensive concepts and techniques against various types of assault, by utilizing easy, effective and proven self-defense /martial arts tactics. Our system of realistic defense will provide a woman with the knowledge to make an educated decision about resistance. We operate on the premise that a spontaneous violent attack will stimulate a natural desire to resist, on the part of the victim (supported by research). We educate women about "Flight or Fight Syndrome", while showing them that enhancing their option of physical defense is not only prudent, but a necessity if natural resistance is to be effective. Safety and survival in today's world requires a definite course of action. We provide effective options by teaching women to take an active role in their own self-defense and psychological well being.
- Physical Defense System
- Aerosol Defense Options
- Advanced Self Defense
- Instructors Programs
Rape Aggression Defense Systems
10 Reasons why RAD systems is on the cutting edge of self-defense training.
Finally, a physical defense program for women that:
- Has established the standard for female self-defense programs;
- Offers no-nonsense, practical techniques of defense;
- Researched the effects of "The Fight or Flight Syndrome";
- Offers advanced self-defense courses that build upon the physical defense;
- Provides realistic and dynamic hands on training;
- Certifies Instructors from the community;
- Has a litigation defense policy;
- Offers state of the art programs at reasonable rates;
- Every student receives a lifetime membership policy.
Rape Aggression Defense Courses
Our Basic Self Defense course for women is now offered through the regular SUNY Oswego class catalogue under the name Self-Defense for Women PED 137 (Physical Education Dept.). The classes run for 8 weeks and are 16 hours total time. We offer them on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Please register via the SUNY class registry. If you get bumped from the class because it is overfull please contact us and we will try to find a space for you.
Contact: Lt. Dave Miller
For Further Information Call: (315) 312-5555
All students receive a lifetime free return and practice policy. The largest women's self-defense system in the country.
Officers Demonstrate as Former Chief Cindy Adam Looks On
NYS University Police
Oswego, NY 13126