Faculty and Staff Responsibilities for Reporting

Students in Distress

Faculty and staff occasionally encounter students who confide that they are not doing well academically or socially in college for various emotional or interpersonal reasons. Please encourage the students to contact a counselor (Counseling Services Center, 312-4416, located in Walker Health Center) to chat about their concerns.  If you observe that a student is in distress or is not "present", or if you receive e-mail messages or writing assignments or observe a classroom presentation with indications that the students may be distressed or disoriented, please feel free to immediately contact a counselor for the student.  Our counselors will see students in distress quickly and will sometimes be able to come to your office if the needs seem immediate to you.  You may also call the Counseling Center and consult with a counselor to help you assess the student.  Your help in assisting students to address personal barriers to their academic success is greatly appreciated by our students.   If a student is deemed by their words (angry, combative or irrational) or actions to pose an immediate threat to others, please call University Police immediately at 315-312-5555.    

Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT)   

The College provides a Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT) to respond to students experiencing psychological or emotional distress, exhibiting distress or disoriented behavior, or where referral or transport to a hospital for reasons of psychological or emotional distress or disorientation occurs.  Generally, the Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT) will assess the nature and pattern of behavior and the extent of disruption to College activities and to the student's ability to learn.  All team deliberations and information related to a student are private to the extent permitted by law. Consultation may occur with officials of the College with a legitimate educational interest or other appropriate parties.  The objective of the team is to engage the students in managing and ultimately alleviating their distress.  

Disruptive Students   

In general, faculty and staff who encounter disruptive students in the classroom, office or event venues may address the student's behavior directly and clarify expectations for the student's behavior, particularly within the context of a classroom activity or an event venue.  If the behavior continues or takes on an increasingly disruptive character, report the incident to the department chair or director and contact the Dean of Students Office 312-4887 to consider alternative actions.  Disruptive students should be notified by the faculty or staff, verbally once, in writing thereafter, to cease the behavior or be subject to removal from the classroom or activity.  If the student does not comply, contact University Police (312-5555) for assistance. If disruptive behavior by a student is threatening or intimidating in any way, including e-mail messages, call University Police immediately (312-5555).

Title IX: Sex Discrimination, Sexual Assault, Harassment, and Sexual Violence

Title IX is the federal anti-discrimination law that states:  "No person in the U.S. shall, on the basis of sex be excluded from participation in, or denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any educational program or activity receiving federal aid." (Title IX 1972 Education Amendments).   Title IX bans sex discrimination throughout our college and campus community in all programs and activities including, but not limited to, academic and athletic programs, financial aid and student records and accounts, health and counseling services, and housing and residence life programs.   Title IX also prohibits sexual harassment, including sexual violence, which is a crime.  For more information, go to our web site:  http://www.oswego.edu/about/titleix.html   To file a report or get more information -- contact the  Title IX Coordinator, Lisa Evaneski at 315-312-5604 (private voicemail) or lisa.evaneski@oswego.edu.  The Title IX Coordinator is responsible for monitoring overall Title IX implementation for the institution and coordinating compliance within all areas and departments covered under Title IX regulations.  Go to http://www.oswego.edu/about/titleix/incidentreport.html for more information about reporting.     

Reporting Crimes  

When faculty or staff encounter students who have observed or have experienced, criminal incidents, listen to the student and encourage the student to contact the University Police (315-312-5555).  Ask the student to report in a detailed manner the time, date and location of the incident and the nature of the conduct.  Further, a faculty or staff member who is informed of a crime by a student should then contact the University Police to report the incident.  If a student is the perpetrator of a crime, an investigation will ensue.  If the student is a victim of a crime, then the College will contact the student and provide information about the campus or community services available to them regarding the incident.  Options to pursue either legal or student conduct actions will also be explained to the student. In either case, the faculty or staff member who reported the incident will be informed of process and progress where possible.

The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act)   

As mandated by the Clery Act, each College is required to report "statistics concerning the occurrence of certain criminal offenses reported to the local police agency or any official of the institution who is defined as a Campus Security Authority".  Campus Security Authority is defined as "...an official of an institution who has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, including but not limited to, student housing, student discipline and campus student conduct proceedings".    The criminal offenses that we are required to report are:  murder/non-negligent manslaughter; negligent manslaughter, sex offenses (forcible and non-forcible), robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, motor vehicle theft, arson, liquor law violations, drug violations and/or illegal weapons possession.  We are required to report offenses that occur on campus, in residence facilities, in extension program property, at off-campus student residences and student organization residences, and on property adjacent to the campus.    SUNY Oswego also participates in the active process of crime statistic reporting in collaboration with the Oswego County Sheriff's Office and the Oswego City Police Department. Our community members travel between each of these jurisdictions frequently.  One may gain additional insight into the incidence and frequency of crime effecting campus through statistics compiled for the police jurisdictions adjacent to the campus.   

If you have questions or concerns about these reporting procedures, please contact the Dean of Students' Office, 315-312-4887, (jerri.drummond@oswego.edu) or University Police, 312-5555, (police@oswego.edu). 

Distressed Student Procedure (PDF)