Summer 2014 Internship Program
Student Involvement Awards
Awards recognize and reward students and their organizations whose involvement has made SUNY Oswego and the surrounding community a better place to live and learn. Free; parking for those without a campus parking sticker is $1 -- see oswego.edu/administration/parking. 312-5420; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Location: Arena and Convocation Hall, Campus Center
Tuesday, April 22, 4 p.m. - 6 p.m.
Indie concert: Arms & Sleepers, American Royalty and Gianni Paci
Arms & Sleepers is an electronic duo from Boston. American Royalty is a psych-pop trio from Brooklyn. Guitarist Gianni Paci is a recent graduate of New York University and is influenced by Buddy Holly and The Beatles. Performer Magazine recently featured him on its cover. $5 at the door; parking for those without a campus parking sticker is $1 -- see oswego.edu/administration/parking. 312-4581.
Location: Lounge, Hewitt Union
Friday, April 25, 7 p.m. - 10 p.m.
Softball vs. SUNYIT
Location: Oswego, NY- Laker Softball Field
Tuesday, April 22, 3:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Baseball vs. Ithaca
Location: Oswego, NY- Laker Baseball Field
Wednesday, April 23, 4 p.m. - 6 p.m.
GOLD Third Thursdays
Visit http://www.facebook.com/events/453070221388940 for the latest locations or suggest your own!
Location: Various Cities
Thursday, May 15, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
Reunion Weekend 2014
More information: alumni.oswego.edu/reunion
Location: SUNY Oswego, New York 104, Oswego, NY, United States
Thursday, June 5, noon - noon
Experience-Based Education offers academic credit for summer internships (registration by June 30 is required). Students can intern while they are home for the summer or spend the summer in a major metropolitan area. Summer internships are billed by the credit hour with payment typically due the first week in July (Current tuition rates can be found here).
GST 303 is open to all students in good academic standing and is available for 2-6 credits. Students enroll and particpate in the GST 303 online course while they complete their internship work hours. Students can earn a maximum of 6 GST 303 credits towards their degree.
GST 498 or Departmental 498 level internship credit programs are open to Juniors and Seniors with a 2.5 GPA. Students work directly with a faculty sponsor within their major to determine the academic component of their internship. Students can earn up to 15 internship credits towards their degree.
GST 691 credit is available for graduate students accepted into a SUNY Oswego Graduate Degree Program.
|GST 303||GST or Dept. 498||GST 691|
|Prerequisites: 2.0 GPA||Prerequisites: 2.5 GPA & Junior/Senior Standing Required||Prerequisites: Acceptance into a SUNY Oswego Graduate Degree Program|
|Upper Division Arts & Sciences Elective||Upper Division All College Elective or Departmental Credit||Graduate Elective Credit|
|Academic Component: Online Career Awareness Course June 30 - August 15||Academic Component: Work directly with a faculty sponsor within your major to determine academic assignments||Academic Component: Same as 498|
|Available for 2-6 Credits||Available for 1-12 credits||Available for 2-6 Credits|
Grading Mode: Letter Graded
Shows on Transcript as "GST 303 Career Awareness"
Grading Mode: Awarded a Pass/Fail Grade that does not calculate into your GPA. Grade assigned is H-Honors, S-Satisfactory, or U-Unsatisfactory
Shows on Transcript as "Internship"
Same as 498
Shows on Transcript as "Graduate Internship"
The registration deadline for summer internship credit is June 30!
All summer interns will develop a learning agreement. (The learning agreement for 498 and 691 internships is available below. The learning agreement for GST 303 is available within the online course). The learning agreement is a required component of the internship program and must be submitted to Experience-Based Education by June 30. Your learning agreement will include the following information:
-Your internship site information
-The type of credit and number of credits you will earn
-Your position responsibilities at your internship site
-Your learning objectives (what you hope to learn from your experience)
-The academic component of your internship (what academic assignments you will be required to complete)
-The required approval signatures
Learning Agreements must be turned in to Experience-Based Education by June 30!
1. Secure a summer internship and get the information on your internship site (Company name, address, phone, supervisor's name and email).
2. Consult with your academic advisor to determine the credit type and number of credits you would like to earn.
3. Determine who your faculty sponsor will be:
- For 498 and 691, secure a faculty sponsor from within your major who will sponsor your summer internship. Faculty sponsors will determine the academic assignments you will be required to complete and assign a final grade for your internship experience. Click here for a list of faculty sponsors.
- The instructor of GST 303 will serve as the faculty sponsor for students taking that course.
4. Required! Click here to confirm your internship and preregister for credit - EBE uses this form to electronically collect the details of your internship and also to preregister students who need to register early for financial aid reasons. The deadline to register is June 30. ONLY COMPLETE THIS FORM ONCE! If you need to make changes to your information after you have submitted the form, please call or email our office.
5. Select and print the learning agreement that applies to your internship and follow the included instructions to complete the learning agreement:
- Print a Standard Learning Agreement with instructions
- Health & Wellness Learning Agreement
- Walt Disney World Interns - Print a Walt Disney World Learning Agreement
- Physical Therapy/Occupational Therapy Internship - 2 credit program with faculty mentor Dr. Jim MacKenzie
- Oswego Hospital Internship - 3 credit program with faculty mentor Dr. Jim MacKenzie
6. Submit your completed learning agreement with ALL signatures to EBE by the June 30 deadline.
7. Visit your myoswego account by July 7 to make your tuition payment.
Important Final Grading Information for Summer Internships:
The deadline for our office to submit final grades for summer internships is in mid-August. Some students have not yet completed their internships by this initial deadline. If your internship extends beyond the summer grading deadline, you will be assigned a TEMPORARY Incomplete as your final grade. Once you have completed your internship your Incomplete will be erased and replaced with your actual final grade. A temporary incomplete disappears completely from your transcript once you fulfill your internship requirements.