Experience-Based Education

Internship Regulations for International Students

Internship Regulations for International Students on F and J visa

Please note that if you hold either an F1 or a J1 visa, you must see your International Student Advisor in 102 Sheldon Hall before you proceed to apply for an on or off-campus internship.  If you participate in an internship without prior authorization on your I-20 or DS-2019, you will be out of status and will face serious consequences for failing to adhere to the regulations.

As an international student, you are permitted to participate in paid or unpaid work authorization, but you must comply with the U.S. Department of State regulations as set out below:

F1 Visa Holders

1.  You must have been in F-1 status for one full academic year before you can apply for an internship, unless you are enrolled in graduate studies that require immediate participation in curricular practical training

2.  Part time off-campus employment is limited to no more than 20 hours a week when school is in session and you may work full time during holidays or school vacation

3.  You must have an offer of employment from an employer offering work that qualifies as curricular practical training and submit that letter to the International Student Advisor. You may engage in training only for the specific employer, location and period approved and recorded by the International Student Advisor within the Department of Homeland Security database

4.  You must fill out an advisor recommendation form and submit to the International Student Advisor. You can obtain this form from the ISSS office

5.  You may be authorized to participate in a curricular practical training program that is an integral part of an established curriculum

6.  You must register into a credit bearing course that is integral to your major

7.  You must obtain authorization for curricular practical training from the International Student Advisor at the ISSS office  

8.  You may begin curricular practical training only after receiving an endorsement on your I-20 by the International Student Advisor

9.  You must continue to maintain a full course of study in F-1 status during the period of employment. Employment authorization is automatically terminated if you fail to maintain your status

10.  If you receive one year or more of full time curricular practical training, you are ineligible for post-completion academic training. If you are interested in applying for pre-completion academic training to pursue an internship, please see the International Student Advisor at the ISSS office

J1 Visa Holders

As a non-degree student you must be "primarily in the United States to study rather than engage in academic training". You would be subject to the requirement that the time in academic training not exceed the time spent in the program of study.

1.  Academic training must be related to your field of study. It must be directly related to your major field of study listed on your Form DS-2019

2.  You must receive written approval in advance from the Director at the International Office for the duration and type of academic training

3.  You must present a letter from your academic dean or adviser at your home university and the Director will evaluate the academic dean/adviser's recommendation, determine to what extent  you have previously participated in academic training and make a determination of whether academic training can be granted

Your adviser's letter must include the following information specified by the regulations:

A.  The goals and objectives of the specific academic training program

B.  A description of the academic training program, including its location, the name and address of the training supervisor, number of hours per week, and dates of the training

C.  How the academic training relates to the student's major field of study?

D.  Why it is an integral or critical part of the academic program of the student?

E.  You must provide an offer letter or description from the academic training employer

F.  You must provide the dates for your academic training

G.  You must provide evidence of financial documentation for the extended time

If you have any questions or require additional information on internships, please contact the International Student Advisor at International Student and Scholar Services in 102 Sheldon Hall:

Gurdeep Skolnik, Associate Director

International Student and Scholar Advisor

102 Sheldon Hall

Email: intled@oswego.edu

Tel: 312.5775