Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the deadline date for applying?

Deadline dates vary by program. The programs in Curriculum and Instruction, Literacy, Special Education and MAT in Art Education have two reviews-March 1 for acceptance for the Summer or Fall terms and October 1 for the Spring semester.The Counseling Services, School Psychology and Human Services/Community Counseling programs have a February 1 deadline. All other programs have rolling admissions and review complete applications as soon as they are received.

Can the person I ask send the reference directly to Oswego?

Oswego has a self-managed application, which means the student is responsible for collecting all application materials and submitting everything in one packet. The referee is requested to return the recommendation to the applicant in a sealed, signed envelope.

If I graduated from Oswego, do I have to submit transcripts?

No, the Graduate Office will obtain your transcripts from the Records Office for you. However, if you graduated more than 5 years ago, we do ask that you request transcripts from any schools that you transferred credit from to Oswego.

Do I have to pay the application fee?

Yes, the application fee is a non-refundable processing fee required of all students unless a student was in an EOP/HEOP/SEEK program as an undergraduate, then he/she is not required to pay the application fee. Verification of enrollment in one of these programs is required.

The fee is $50 and the check or money order should be made payable to SUNY Oswego.

Am I eligible for financial aid as a non-degree student?

Non-degree students taking classes toward a program leading to a NYS Department of Education certification are eligible for federal and state financial aid. Students taking courses toward other programs or for professional growth with no intention of applying to a program are not eligible for aid. This is a federal and state regulation.

What graduate assistantships, fellowships and GOP funding are available at Oswego?

Graduate Assistantships are available in a variety of positions on campus. The reimbursement in exchange for services vary from partial tuition only to full tuition (9 SH) and a stipend. For a list of positions on campus, contact the Graduate Office at (315) 312-3152.

Diversity Fellowships are available to students studying full-time (12 SH) who have been accepted into a graduate program.These fellowships pay full tuition and a stipend of $5,100 per academic year.For an application, please contact the Graduate Office at (315) 312-3152.

Graduate Opportunity Program (GOP) funding is available to students who were EOP, HEOP, SEEK eligible as undergraduate students. A verification form/application can be obtained by contacting the Graduate Office at (315) 312-3152.

How many credits can I take prior to acceptance into a graduate program?

Students may enroll in up to 9 SH of coursework prior to acceptance into a program. Please be advised that enrollment in or completion of coursework does not guarantee acceptance into a program.

What are your office hours?

The Graduate Office is open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.

How long do I have to complete my degree?

Seven years. Courses completed more than seven years before the term in which the degree is awarded may not be used for credit toward the degree. (This includes transfer credit.)

What is degree candidacy?

Degree candidacy is a midpoint review of your academic record and professional behavior.To achieve degree candidacy a student must have a 3.0 or better overall GPA and meet the established departmental standards for attainment of degree candidacy. Department notification of candidacy is sent to the student.Failure to meet candidacy requirements results in termination from the program.

What is considered full time?

Nine semester hours is considered a full-time student load. However, students should be aware that for some state and federal Title IV financial aid programs, funding as a full time student requires either twelve semester hours, or nine hours plus a graduate assistantship.

How many credits can I transfer into a program at Oswego?

You may transfer in 6 SH of approved coursework from another college or university provided you received a grade of B or better. For a Transfer Credit approval form, please contact the Graduate Office, (315) 312-3152.

What do I have to do to file for graduation?

You may file online at and fill out the form for Applying for Graduation under the Registration section. The deadline dates to file to ensure your name if printed in the Commencement Program are:February 15th for May and August graduates

October 15th for December graduates

A paper diploma application form will be accepted after these dates, however, your name may not be included in the Commencement Program. to obtain a form, please contact the Graduate Office at (315) 312-3152.

Who do I contact to obtain a copy of my Oswego transcript?

Please visit: to learn how to request offical transcripts.

How can I request an application or other materials?

Application materials and program information may be obtained by filling out the form on our information request page.

Can I complete my whole degree program at the Metro Center?

No, students may complete their program by enrolling in a combination of courses at the Metro Center, on campus, and online.