Fitness Center Graduate Assistantship
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
font-family:”Times New Roman”,”serif”;}
Graduate Assistantship for Cooper/Glimmerglass Fitness Centers
Department of Residence Life and Housing
Cooper and Glimmerglass Fitness Centers exist to provide the campus community with a means to reach their fitness and health goals. The Fitness Centers operate under the department of Residence Life and Housing, located in residential complexes, both centers offer roughly the same exercise equipment, which include free weights, selectorized circuits and a variety of cardio equipment (such as treadmills, stationary bikes and elliptical trainers). The centers are non-profit facilities, run primarily from the income derived from membership fees of the students, faculty and staff. A student staff of approximately 70 employees (desk staff, personal trainers, group exercise instructors and student managers) operates the centers. A full time, professional manager and two graduate assistants direct the entire fitness center operation.
Job Description and Responsibilities
The graduate assistant for the Fitness Centers works with the Fitness Center Manager in assuring the efficient and effective functioning of the both facilities. This position reports directly to the manager and includes some night and weekend hours. Responsibilities include:
- Assist in the selection, training, developing and evaluation of all student staff.
- Create and implement master schedule for desk staff.
- Supervise payroll for entire student staff.
- Assist manger in ensuring proper maintenance and cleaning procedures for both fitness centers.
- Assist manager with membership recruiting and retention programs.
- Participate in Residence Life and Housing staff training and development workshops as directed.
- Act as Fitness Center supervisor in Manager’s absence
- Execute special projects and programs as assigned by the manager.
The successful candidate must be a full-time graduate student, matriculated into a graduate program at SUNY Oswego by the start of employment and possess:
- Interest and commitment to physical well-being and overall wellness.
- Prior experience as a member or leader of college organization.
- Ability to effectively work in a team setting with fellow peers.
- Ability to use computer word processing, desktop publishing and other software programs
- Skills in organization, effective time management, strong oral and written communication
- High levels of integrity, energy and enthusiasm.
Terms of Employment
1. Academic obligations must be approved by the Fitness Center Manager. The maximum course-load is nine credit hours per semester. Internships or practicum experience that requires a substantial time commitment will be reviewed and may not be approved.
2. The term of employment is 21 pay periods throughout the academic year (August 1st through May 31st). The graduate assistant is not obligated to be present during periods of academic recess; however, he/she is expected to be available for duties related to training and preparation for the upcoming semester. The assistantship is for a maximum of two years, contingent upon acceptable performance in the position. Summer work may be offered depending on availability of funding.
3. During each semester of employment, the graduate assistant must maintain a 3.0 GPA.
4. The graduate assistantship is based on an average of 20 hours per week during the term of employment.
5. The graduate assistant must abide by the rules and regulations of the College and model mutual respect and inclusion for all students.
6. Failure to fulfill required job expectations in a satisfactory manner or violation of college policy will be grounds for the termination
7. The graduate assistant will not be assigned to any duties nor be subject to any terms that are inconsistent with the standards set forth by the Graduate Assistant Union (www.gseu.org).
- Stipend of $7000 per year (with a $250 increase for the second year)
- Full tuition assistance for nine credits per semester ($3699.00 or $4545.00 for MBA program)
- Meal plan while classes are in session during the Fall and Spring academic semesters
- Free parking permit ($118.00)
How to Apply
Submit cover letter, resume, transcripts and 2 letters of reference to:
Fitness Center Manager
303 Culkin Hall
Residence Life and Housing
Oswego, NY 13126
Phone: (315) 312-3963
Fax: (315) 312-6329
830 total views, 1 today