Planetarium Show: "The Stars of Winter"
Planetarium Director Scott Roby will point out the bright stars and constellations visible in early winter evenings and give a light-hearted version of some of the mythological tales behind the constellations. Star maps provided. Children 17 and under must be accompanied by an adult. Free, including parking in the Centennial Drive lot (E17) or Washington Boulevard lot (C8). 315-312-2790.
Location: Room 223, Shineman Center
Sunday, Dec 4, 7 p.m. - 8 p.m.
Concert: SUNY Oswego Jazz Ensemble
Free; parking for those without a campus parking sticker is $1 -- see oswego.edu/administration/parking. 315-312-2130.
Location: Waterman Theatre, Tyler Hall
Thursday, Dec 8, 7:30 p.m. - 9 p.m.
Men's Basketball vs. Fredonia
$6 adults, $4 children 5-18, and free for SUNY Oswego students with ID and children under 5. Tickets may be purchased at tickets.oswego.edu. 315-312-3073.
Location: Max Ziel Gymnasium
Friday, Dec 9, 5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Women's Ice Hockey vs. Hamilton
$4 for adults, $2 for 5-17years, free for children under the age of 5, free for SUNY Oswego students with ID. Tickets may be purchased at tickets.oswego.edu. 315-312-3073
Location: Marano Campus Center Ice Arena
Friday, Dec 9, 7 p.m. - 9 p.m.
November 4, 2011
English Department Conference Room
1. We approved the minutes of October 14, 2011, with one revision. "New Dept of defense of MOU" should be revised to read "New Dept. of Defense MOU in process."
2. Al Stamm circulated the updated list of members of Priorities and Planning. He will contact Tom Darvill to see whether he is interested in attending regularly to represent the social and behavioral sciences.
3. Marcia Burrell-Ihlow came to discuss the proposed changes to the MATs in math and chemistry offered by the School of Education. The MAT degree is the Master of Arts in Teaching. It includes graduate level courses in the relevant content area (chemistry or math). By contrast, the MST degree is the Master of Science for Teachers. It does not include graduate level content courses. A graduate of the School of Education with a concentration in math or chemistry would work toward an MSED (Master of Science in Education), which includes 12 credits in the relevant content area.
Enrollments in these programs are expected to stay level. No new resources will be required for the proposed changes, which will in fact reduce requirements slightly.
We unanimously approved the revisions to the MAT in Chemistry.
We unanimously approved the revisions to the MAT in Mathematics.
5. The next meeting is scheduled for November 18th. Cynthia may be late due to a scheduling conflict.
6. The meeting adjourned at 4:15 p.m.